Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone going on business Visa??

Anyone going on business Visa??

Old May 1st 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Edwards family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone going on business Visa??

We are going to Queensland on a business visa. Either buying an existing business or starting one. Would love to hear from anyone who is doing or done the same thing with any tips. We are heading to the Sunshine coast hopefully Noosa area in August/September this year.

Kim and Paul
Old May 1st 2007, 9:05 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone going on business Visa??

Originally Posted by Edwards family
We are going to Queensland on a business visa. Either buying an existing business or starting one. Would love to hear from anyone who is doing or done the same thing with any tips. We are heading to the Sunshine coast hopefully Noosa area in August/September this year.

Kim and Paul
Yup, here in NSW on a 164... Just about to purchase a business, am off today to the vendors' premises for the second day of due diligence... What sort of thing did you do in the UK...? Are you planning/hoping to do the same here...? How much do you want to spend of buying something...? Let's start with that lot for now...!
Old May 1st 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Edwards family is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is a building contractor but also we own a convenience store/off licence here in the UK and may look at something like that. What type of business are you buying in NSW??
Old May 1st 2007, 9:36 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edwards family
My husband is a building contractor but also we own a convenience store/off licence here in the UK and may look at something like that. What type of business are you buying in NSW??
I can't say at the moment (all sorts of NDA's floating about, etc) but I used to have a transport business in the UK and I'm delighted to say that what I'm looking at here is nothing to do with trucks...!

There's lots of building stuff going on in Queensland at the moment... One thing I would say to you is that although very many things seems the same, the more you get into stuff the more you realise all the little things that are different that make a BIG difference overall... Hopefully you'll be coming over with enough equity to keep yourselves for several months without an income... Buying a business can take a while especially as you want to have a good look around to see what's about... I engaged some people who have been brilliant... Business Buying Services... They only act for the purchaser and can lead you through the minefield over here... and they've just opened a Brisbane office after being in Sydney and Melbourne... I guess we've looked at nearly a dozen different businesses before this one, all of which were rejected for one reason or another... Having said all that I've just reread your post and noted the bit about convenience stores...! There's always a few of them for sale so if that's your thing it shouldn't be too hard...
Old May 6th 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rodders39
I can't say at the moment (all sorts of NDA's floating about, etc) but I used to have a transport business in the UK and I'm delighted to say that what I'm looking at here is nothing to do with trucks...!

There's lots of building stuff going on in Queensland at the moment... One thing I would say to you is that although very many things seems the same, the more you get into stuff the more you realise all the little things that are different that make a BIG difference overall... Hopefully you'll be coming over with enough equity to keep yourselves for several months without an income... Buying a business can take a while especially as you want to have a good look around to see what's about... I engaged some people who have been brilliant... Business Buying Services... They only act for the purchaser and can lead you through the minefield over here... and they've just opened a Brisbane office after being in Sydney and Melbourne... I guess we've looked at nearly a dozen different businesses before this one, all of which were rejected for one reason or another... Having said all that I've just reread your post and noted the bit about convenience stores...! There's always a few of them for sale so if that's your thing it shouldn't be too hard...
Hi there,
we have just applied for a 163 visa to melbourne to start up a road transport business. Thats what we do here in the uk albeit a small one. We run 2 tipper trucks out of local quarries and hope to do the same in oz. We got the sponsorship from victoria within 3 weeks of applying have now sent off the application for provisional visa last month. We swithered between applying for sponsorship with Victoria or QLD but after a recent holiday settled on Victoria.
How long after you guys applied did you get the visa granted?
Rodders - so no more rd haulage for you eh? What was it you ran here in the uk? And why not over there?
Kim and Paul - Do you want to do the same thing in oz? Are you both going to do the business full time or is one of you going to try for a job?
Its so good to here from business visa people everyone else seems to be going on a skills visa and they seem to get theirs quicker! Patience was never my strong point!
Rhona x
Old May 6th 2007, 7:59 pm
Timelord

Originally Posted by rhona
Hi there,
we have just applied for a 163 visa to melbourne to start up a road transport business. Thats what we do here in the uk albeit a small one. We run 2 tipper trucks out of local quarries and hope to do the same in oz. We got the sponsorship from victoria within 3 weeks of applying have now sent off the application for provisional visa last month. We swithered between applying for sponsorship with Victoria or QLD but after a recent holiday settled on Victoria.
How long after you guys applied did you get the visa granted?
Rodders - so no more rd haulage for you eh? What was it you ran here in the uk? And why not over there?
Kim and Paul - Do you want to do the same thing in oz? Are you both going to do the business full time or is one of you going to try for a job?
Its so good to here from business visa people everyone else seems to be going on a skills visa and they seem to get theirs quicker! Patience was never my strong point!
Rhona x
Our visa took about 10 weeks from application to grant... but could have been about 8 weeks because we didn't do our medicals straight away when we were asked to... we were doing other stuff at the time and booked in 2 weeks ahead... I used to have a European transport biz... 22 trucks, 49 trailers, 23 drivers, 25 in the office... More than happy not to do trucking again...!
Old May 7th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rodders39
Our visa took about 10 weeks from application to grant... but could have been about 8 weeks because we didn't do our medicals straight away when we were asked to... we were doing other stuff at the time and booked in 2 weeks ahead... I used to have a European transport biz... 22 trucks, 49 trailers, 23 drivers, 25 in the office... More than happy not to do trucking again...!
What's a 164 Rodders? We are in Perth on a 163, been here 2 years and are about to apply for the State sponsored permenant Visa, 892 having just got the state sponsorship and made the required numbers here.
Cheers
Steve
Old May 7th 2007, 11:17 am
Timelord

Originally Posted by steveyp
What's a 164 Rodders? We are in Perth on a 163, been here 2 years and are about to apply for the State sponsored permenant Visa, 892 having just got the state sponsorship and made the required numbers here.
Cheers
Steve
It's the one for a senior exec over 45... I think the 163 is the one for a business owner over 45... For various timing reasons our agent advised the 164 instead of the 163...
Old May 8th 2007, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

chrissie181 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We have just been granted our 165 Visa!!!!
Heading out to The Sunshine Coast in mid August.

We cant wait. There still seems so much to finish off here first. The shippers are coming two weeks today and Im knee deep in box's. Moving into a rented house then until we go.
Our business over here is "Fashion accessories" We design,Imported and then supply the High street stores.All very glamorous and exciting but Blinking Stress full !!!

Looking to buy a coffee bar on the beach, wear a Kaftan all day. Hubby might grow an afro! Want to start seriously chillin to da core!

Look out for us when you get over there. Im sure we will stand out.

Chrissie