Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown to Oz with Qatar Airlines?

Anyone flown to Oz with Qatar Airlines?

Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

non-brit-visitor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone flown to Oz with Qatar Airlines?

Hello,
Anyone had any experience flying Qatar?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown to Oz with Qatar Airlines?

I have used them long haul twice (not to australia) in business class. Not a completely flat bed but nearly flat, excellent service, food and wine. They are one of the small number of five star airlines I believe so you would have to think a good option.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

mel.b will become famous soon enoughmel.b will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone flown to Oz with Qatar Airlines?

Originally Posted by non-brit-visitor
Hello,
Anyone had any experience flying Qatar?
I've just flown with Qatar IST - MEL, MEL - LHR

Pros
- free sporting allowance...allowed me to bring my bike for nothing. No problems with checking it in
- interlined my bags from LHR to SNN when they were on a seperate ticket. Meant a faster passage through LHR and i didn't have to collect my bags at LHR and re check them
- Very short stop overs in Doha. Certainly no time to go and wander around the shops

Cons
- on board service was lacking. Only two drinks services from MEL - DOH. Not even flight attendants walking up the aisle with a tray of water & juice as is standard with SQ.
- Breakfast was stone cold...pancakes looked nice but were cold. Not even luke warm. Didn't eat any of the other meals.
- Ground handling in DOH is poor. Should improve once the new terminal is open. All remote gates. One flight had a 15min bus ride to the terminal. Then when boarding for the next flight, put in a holding area for approx 15min after they checked passports before getting on the bus. Short bus ride to the gate this time, but they then made us wat 20min on the bus before being allowed to board the plane.
- overhead cabin space seems smaller...all but one flight people had trouble finding room for their baggage. As they don't board by room numbers try to get on early.
- Snack service poor for an almost 14hr flight... On MEL - DOH no snacks offered (but two meals, dinner and breakfast ) On DOH - LHR, breakfast and a light snack (sandwich and biscuits i think). I didn't take a sandwich, so wasn't offered a biscuit!

Seats and leg room in Economy seemed pretty standard.

Would i fly them again? If i had sporting equipment then probably yes (not sure what other airlines policies are) If i got a really great deal, then probably yes, but otherwise i would stick to SQ who i think are far superior.