Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone fancy a PINT !!!

Anyone fancy a PINT !!!

Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of
Talking Anyone fancy a PINT !!!

PLEASE REASSURE ME THAT THE SOCIAL LIFE ON THE EAST COAST, AROUND BRISBANE IS A GOOD ONE !

At the moment we are changing our circumstances so that we can apply to emmigrate to Oz.

In the meantime we have been getting quite a mixed view on what the night life is over there. More people have been saying that it is poor ( Is this because they are jealous that they are not living over there ?? )

I don't just mean night clubs but what are the bars like. Some people are saying that they are just full of men and that not a lot of women go into them.

AGAIN, PLEASE REASSURE ME

I'm not an alcoholic (Honest!!)
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone fancy a PINT !!!

Originally posted by OzWannabee
PLEASE REASSURE ME THAT THE SOCIAL LIFE ON THE EAST COAST, AROUND BRISBANE IS A GOOD ONE !

At the moment we are changing our circumstances so that we can apply to emmigrate to Oz.

In the meantime we have been getting quite a mixed view on what the night life is over there. More people have been saying that it is poor ( Is this because they are jealous that they are not living over there ?? )

I don't just mean night clubs but what are the bars like. Some people are saying that they are just full of men and that not a lot of women go into them.

hi debs here , hi debs here , we have been living on the sunny coast for nine months now , nr mooloolaba, i have too sons nick & louis who are 21 & almost 18, we all love it here ,plenty of clubs pubs etc so much chose , even us oldies love to go out for a few beers . ..we are the family who were featured on the tv show" get a new life last month ". we have no regrets at all .
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:41 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

No worries. I went down the local to our gaff....The Kenmore Tavern.
Apart from the fact that I immediately bumped into a Scotsman and an Englishman, me and Mrs Chippy spent about 3 hours chatting to the locals. Were on first name terms already plus me and the lad (Chippy jnr) are playing in a pool comp this Saturday.
Home from home I'd say.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:42 am
ABCDiamond

again, it depends on where you go.

There are also some very quiet areas.

You just have to ask around, and I am sure you will find the right area for you, having the types of things you want.

In my immediate area, I reckon most people are in bed asleep by 9pm !! But 15 minutes away ?? A different story

Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

well my local.. all that I can say is there must be a lot of men in drag about... They seem to be very good at impersonating women too.
Of course there are women in the pubs.. Aus may behind in some respects, but not that far behind lol

I think unless you live close, or in the city itself, you are going to be disappointed. local pubs tend to close early half of the time ( ie if there's only a few customers in there.. they will even close up at 9pm, and won't stay open).. weekend they do stay open late ( Friday and sat). Clubs ( social clubs) stay open until their advertised closing times.. which tend to be around 1am ish ... not a social club goer myself.. it's too unsociable ( really it is! ..people slotting money in the pokies all night)

Sorry I can't reassure you of your pub fears ( except the women in bars bit though) .. a lot of people here do miss a real British pub.. I think to get decent night life, you're going to have to live near the city, or go live down the GC area. Every area I have lived in.. there is not much nightlife.... lights out in our area too by 9ish.. mind you it's peaceful that way. I couldn't live in the city myself.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

In my immediate area, I reckon most people are in bed asleep by 9pm !! But 15 minutes away ?? A different story
These are 15 minutes away from me:-

Cleveland Sands Hotel
Cnr Middle & Bloomfield Sts,Cleveland
Cleveland, 4163, QLD

http://www.clevelandsands.com.au

Description:
Meet your mates and knock back a coldie or two at the Cleveland Sands Hotel’s ‘max's Garden Bar’. Full TAB facilities including ‘Sportsbet’ are on hand if you enjoy a dabble on the ponies. If you’re simply looking to have a bevy in quiet surrounds, max's Garden Bar Beer Garden is just the place for you. Great views of Cleveland Harbour can be enjoyed whilst relaxing in our shaded outdoor garden atmosphere. OPEN 24 HOURS

and

The Grand View Hotel
49 North Street,Cleveland
Cleveland , 4163, QLD
http://www.gvh.com.au

Description:
Welcome to The Grand View Hotel. Built in 1851, it's Queensland's oldest licensed hotel and the locals call it the G.V. We have three bars on hand and they are the Emu Point Garden Bar, the Grand View Lounge Bar and the Vegas by the Bay gaming lounge. With three bars you can be assured that we have something here for everybody. So come on down and enjoy the atmosphere. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Thursday to Saturday they close at Midnight.
Aussiepubs Comment It is a great pub to take the kids and kick back. The place goes forever. Overlooking Beautiful Morton Bay
New Years eve here is a riot !
and the Miss GV competition ? I don't know, i wouldn't have been allowed to go !!

OZPubs & Clubs .com

Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

gazza321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Deb

We watched your progs with great interest as we are in a similar situation as you and it gave us a real boost to see how you were getting on. we have two boys as well one nearly 17 and the other nearly 19.
Our 19yr old has been going steady for 2 years and is in love so it makes us really worry he will come back, so it was good to see that your lad was managing to cope when he left. Anyway we really enjoyed watching your progs - well done!
We are planning on going to Perth although it looked great where you are as well.

Cheers

Gary and Angela

Originally posted by debreeve
hi debs here , hi debs here , we have been living on the sunny coast for nine months now , nr mooloolaba, i have too sons nick & louis who are 21 & almost 18, we all love it here ,plenty of clubs pubs etc so much chose , even us oldies love to go out for a few beers . ..we are the family who were featured on the tv show" get a new life last month ". we have no regrets at all .
Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:15 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, my husband has been out on lads nights in Cleveland and surrounding areas and managed to stay out for most of the night so there must be something going on! Personally, I prefer to go into the city for a night out, train in cab home, not too pricey.
There are a small but steadily growing group of us here in Brisbane who are recreating the good old girls night out, plenty of all sexes, ages, shapes and sizes in the city.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally posted by gazza321
Hi Deb

We watched your progs with great interest as we are in a similar situation as you and it gave us a real boost to see how you were getting on. we have two boys as well one nearly 17 and the other nearly 19.
Our 19yr old has been going steady for 2 years and is in love so it makes us really worry he will come back, so it was good to see that your lad was managing to cope when he left. Anyway we really enjoyed watching your progs - well done!
We are planning on going to Perth although it looked great where you are as well.

Cheers

Gary and Angela
hi , glad you enjoyed the programe, cant belive how quicklie the boys settled , even louis is getting out & about now with his bro [got friendly with the doorman !!] we have only now seen the show & it upset me to see how homesick louis was & putting on a good act ,i spoke to him this week about it & he say that no way does he want to leave , we all love it . laura his girlfriend is coming out on tue, nick has a great girl here .
it will be hard for your boys but im sure they will soon be fine .
lots of luck to you all .
shame we cant meet at the expats meet .
xx debs xx
Old Jun 17th 2004, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Xenophobia is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to Brisbane for the Rugby next week, I will let you know about the pubs as this will be firmly on our agenda!

Cheers
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

hi , glad you enjoyed the programe, cant belive how quicklie the boys settled , even louis is getting out & about now with his bro [got friendly with the doorman !!] we have only now seen the show & it upset me to see how homesick louis was & putting on a good act ,i spoke to him this week about it & he say that no way does he want to leave , we all love it . laura his girlfriend is coming out on tue, nick has a great girl here .
it will be hard for your boys but im sure they will soon be fine .
lots of luck to you all .
shame we cant meet at the expats meet .
xx debs xx

Hi Deb

We watched the programme too and found it excellent viewing and very informative. I have to admit I am a little bit worried about staying in holiday mode. How is it now you have been there a bit longer - do you still manage to maintain a holiday feel to your life now that jobs are a reality etc?

Dave & Helen
Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Hi Deb. Thanks for replying. I did watch the program on the television as I thought it would give us a good insight into the moving process. I thought the program was really good and am glad that you have all settled.

We are looking to move to around the Cleveland, Wellington Point area which I believe is just south of yourselves.

Did you find it easy to adjust to the temperature over there??
Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Xenophobia
I'm going to Brisbane for the Rugby next week, I will let you know about the pubs as this will be firmly on our agenda!

Cheers

Thanks for that. You will also have to tell us about the match, as I am very interested in Rugby, Yes we do still play rugby in Wales even if it doesn't look like we do.

We are planning a trip to Brisbane in July, are there any rugby matches being played around that time??
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

sueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant future

HI DEB...

HAVE SENT YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE!!

SUE