Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone fancy a Hobgoblin or Old Speckled Hen??

Anyone fancy a Hobgoblin or Old Speckled Hen??

Old Aug 28th 2004, 3:09 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone fancy a Hobgoblin or Old Speckled Hen??

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ah, you read me wrong Don; he knew he was marrying a beer addict, and I think he's so pleased that I have survived the "6 month emigration itch" that he will put up with me squandering cash on "foreign beer".... even if he turns white when he hears the cost!
We've had 7 months of domestic bliss ( ) and I haven't thrown a beer bottle at him yet.......anyway, I paid for the stuff - why do you think I wanted a better job with more money!
I guess all I can say is:
Old Aug 28th 2004, 3:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A decent drink can make a whole continent seem better!! and look at poor Kentish Man - I may have influenced his decision to settle here, by locating a source of good beer. I call that a very successful mission today!

(not so sure about the shop selling lettuce for 49 cents though, and the Chermside Aldi is worse than a bad BiLo :scared: )
Old Aug 28th 2004, 3:18 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

A decent drink can make a whole continent seem better!! and look at poor Kentish Man - I may have influenced his decision to settle here, by locating a source of good beer. I call that a very successful mission today!

(not so sure about the shop selling lettuce for 49 cents though, and the Chermside Aldi is worse than a bad BiLo :scared: )
49c for a head of lettuce is about GBP 20p. Over here that's hm hm, and since our lettuce is hm hm (= 25p), you're getting a good deal at that price - we're cheap!
Old Aug 28th 2004, 3:25 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
49c for a head of lettuce is about GBP 20p. Over here that's hm hm, and since our lettuce is hm hm (= 25p), you're getting a good deal at that price - we're cheap!
don't know what the lettuce looked like though! same place had a sign "all the onions you can fit in a bag for $2"......... I think I'll stick to the beer, you know where you are with a Hobgoblin
Old Aug 28th 2004, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

carlos1340 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please tell me that you've found the odd bottle of Theakstons Old Peculier?

If not, I'm going to look at importing it myself!!
Old Aug 28th 2004, 6:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlos1340
Please tell me that you've found the odd bottle of Theakstons Old Peculier?

If not, I'm going to look at importing it myself!!
My son found some once when he was living in Brisbane.

Don't ask me where though.

G
Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:00 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

In Sydney you can get pints (draft) of Hen and Boddi's at the Elephant and Wheel Barrow in Paddo. Also look out for first Estate in Gladesville (Victoria Road), thye had bottles of London Pride (I lived in Chiswick close to the brewery!), Spitfire, etc! Mind you at $8 for a 500ml bottle it's an "occasional" treat
Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dinky
In Sydney you can get pints (draft) of Hen and Boddi's at the Elephant and Wheel Barrow in Paddo. Also look out for first Estate in Gladesville (Victoria Road), thye had bottles of London Pride (I lived in Chiswick close to the brewery!), Spitfire, etc! Mind you at $8 for a 500ml bottle it's an "occasional" treat
Kemmeny's on Bondi Road (the one between the junctions and the beach) is excellent for more unusual beers and they have a whole room dedicated to overseas wine. A good bottle shop in general if you want something different.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody found any Tanglefoot????
Old Aug 30th 2004, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

The brit themed pub at Cockington Green outside Canberra does Bass, but served so cold its positively painful to drink
Old Sep 1st 2004, 11:59 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Trevglas
The brit themed pub at Cockington Green outside Canberra does Bass, but served so cold its positively painful to drink
One of the silliest bits about finding my treasure trove was the fact I had to leave it in the sun for a while to get any of it warm enough to drink properly!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:08 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the silliest bits about finding my treasure trove was the fact I had to leave it in the sun for a while to get any of it warm enough to drink properly!
As it's fathers day at the weekend and my wife and children have asked me what I want to do.
PLEASE GIVE ME DIRECTIONS
Not that I'm desperate or anything I can get Guinness up here Just feel like a nice pint or 2 or more................................
Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:20 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by cresta57
As it's fathers day at the weekend and my wife and children have asked me what I want to do.
PLEASE GIVE ME DIRECTIONS
Not that I'm desperate or anything I can get Guinness up here Just feel like a nice pint or 2 or more................................
Funnily enough I thought of you when The Bloke said he'd found the place!
Come in to north Brissie on Gympie Road, follow it till it becomes Lutwyche Road, keep following Lutwyche Road, past the Lutwyche Shopping Centre (on your left) then you will see a black pub called The Crown on your right. The Liquor Superstore is behind it, next to Good Guys Electrical.

Good range of stuff - bring lots of dosh and load up!

I think its next to Chapel Street.........

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 6th 2007 at 10:00 am.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:27 pm
Home and Happy

The Bloke is off to warn them you're coming...are you bringing the ute or hiring a truck for the weekend?!!!

Enjoy!!!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:33 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The Bloke is off to warn them you're coming...are you bringing the ute or hiring a truck for the weekend?!!!

Enjoy!!!
By the sound of it a B-double's required
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.