Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone emigrated to Oz without ever visted there?

Anyone emigrated to Oz without ever visted there?

Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Elaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone emigrated to Oz without ever visted there?

Hi All,

Thank God to see we are not the only family that has decided to move to Oz without ever being there, we are in the frame of mind the money spent on a holiday will be put to better use when we finally move there.

Waiting on our TRA result (2nd attempt)

Elaine
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this helps, but my friend spent thousands on a reccie trip to Adelaide before emigrating, as that is where she wanted to go. Whilst there she decided that Adelaide wasn't for her (money well spent for her) and ended up going to Brisbane.

Where me on the other hand had no reccie trip. Sold everything and moved to the Gold Coast just on the research i had done on British Expats, and i love it and saved myself a fortune. My friend is now moving down to the Gold Coast It worked out well for me, all i can say is if you are not going to do a reccie trip just make sure you do a lot of research on the area to make sure it's right for you. There are loads of BE members who will help you on your way.

I'm off to finish the bottle of Aussie wine Good Luck

Stacey xx
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

THE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

Yes we too have never been and are hoping to be in Queensland by the end of the year. We were introduced to my mum's friends who emigrated 23 years ago (they have never looked back). Their words were "don't think about it, just do it", so thats exactly what we are doing We would have loved to have visited first, but like others have said, we will need the money when we get there.

Lisa T
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Red face Re: Anyone emigrated to Oz without ever visted there?

Hi, we're looking at coming out end Nov time for 3 weeks to do a recky trip. We went to Perth last year but decided it wasn't for us.

Don't you think it's important to go to the country/place where you'll be spending the rest of your lives? Letting the kids see where they'll be going instead of just up sticks and leaving. Children don't understand the logisitics of it all by going on this expats site!!!!

I know my 2 boys will be excited once they've visited schools and actually seen where they're going to go. I'm not sure how they'd settle in without doing that first......just my opinion of course!

I also look at it from the other perspective......you wouldn't move to an area in this country without going there first would you.?.....I know it's a whole cost thing but we're talking about the biggest decision of your lives, I think the money is well worth it to make sure you know what you're doing......at the end of the day, for alot of us, kids are involved too. It's too important to make rash decisions when there are others involved!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Have never been before altho OH backpacked there 10 years ago. We (2 girls, aged 12 and 4) hope to be there by christmas - fingers crossed.

Lynn
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough

Hi,
we are moving around the brisbane area in the next few months and have also never been. I have lived abroad before and feel you never really get an idea about a place until you are actually living there.
We did by some DVD's initially of Ebay which gave us some great info on living in Aus. I can really recomend them as my son (16) found it very useful to be able to get a glimpse of every day life before he would comit himself.
You can get them on www.livingdownunder.co.uk
Good Luck,
Andy
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

karm is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
i have never been to australia but i decided to go anyway hopefully going in the next few months on my 136.
Im going to adelaide because of the free meet and greet,as im going on my own (with dog), i dont know anyone over there so thats why i opted for this way,i may change place once i get to adelaide but i will not know this till i land
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MattLowe
Hi there
Family and I have made the decision to go hopefully early 2008 (awaiting skilled assessment for 136 visa at present )

We were thinking of going out there for say 2-3 weeks in Oct this year (once second child is here!) for a taster, but is it worthwhile as after all this would be holiday? and i think you would not know the real deal until living out there properly, working ect child in school, renting home ect

Any thoughts? or advice please?, on above plus experiences of anyone who has emigrated without visting previously? Is it worth putting things on hod till we have been to Oz?

many thanks, Queensland Bound Matt Lowe + Family
Hi there matt and family , we have never been but looks like we will have to go in may to validate our visa because the house sale is draging it,s heels good look to you all in the same boat
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:54 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
We moved here in November 2005 without visiting first as we felt we didnt want to use up part of our available cash. When we did arrive we spent half the time setting up our new lives and half having a well deserved break.

I wouldnt change a thing, I think it worked for us, as we dropped ourselves in the deep end and had to make it work. I don't think we would have had a realistic view of things had we been here on a 'holiday/reccie'.

Julia
We did exactly the same
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:51 am
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

We had never been to Oz before coming to Melbourne last November. No regrets about not doing a reccie - I don't think it would have helped at all as we would have been in a holiday frame of mind which is different from living in a place.

We did research as much as poss beforehand though. My mum is an Aussie (though from WA and has lived in UK for 40+years) and my SIL & BIL live here so they helped us find our feet in the first few weeks.

We couldn't really afford a holiday/reccie here for the 4 of us, it was better for us to use the money setting up our new lives
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elaine & Nigel
Hi All,

Thank God to see we are not the only family that has decided to move to Oz without ever being there, we are in the frame of mind the money spent on a holiday will be put to better use when we finally move there.

Waiting on our TRA result (2nd attempt)

Elaine
Hi Elaine & Nigel
Good luck with your second attempt. I agree with you totally that the money is going to be better spent when you arrive for good and besides i cant stand flying absolutely dreading the flight but excited to see what its like the other end. What visa are you going out on? And where are you hoping to go?

We have (2 girlz 14 & 6) me & oh hope to go to Manly or thereabouts.

Sue
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

deb&si is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Anyone emigrated to Oz without ever visted there?

hi we moved he in november never been before with two kids we live on the sunshine coast kids are17@15 boy @girl both have settled in to school well pm.me if you need mooe in fo
Originally Posted by MattLowe
Hi there
Family and I have made the decision to go hopefully early 2008 (awaiting skilled assessment for 136 visa at present )

We were thinking of going out there for say 2-3 weeks in Oct this year (once second child is here!) for a taster, but is it worthwhile as after all this would be holiday? and i think you would not know the real deal until living out there properly, working ect child in school, renting home ect

Any thoughts? or advice please?, on above plus experiences of anyone who has emigrated without visting previously? Is it worth putting things on hod till we have been to Oz?

many thanks, Queensland Bound Matt Lowe + Family
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Elaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really nice

Originally Posted by suesk
Hi Elaine & Nigel
Good luck with your second attempt. I agree with you totally that the money is going to be better spent when you arrive for good and besides i cant stand flying absolutely dreading the flight but excited to see what its like the other end. What visa are you going out on? And where are you hoping to go?

We have (2 girlz 14 & 6) me & oh hope to go to Manly or thereabouts.

Sue
Hi Sue

We will be going on a 136 hubby is a Baker so he's on the MODL we have 2 kids, girl 11 and a boy 10.

So far we are planning to go to the Gold Coast area tho it will just depend on where OH gets a job.

Elaine
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Elaine

Were going on 136 OH mechanical engineer. same here on job front though.

Sue
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Smile Re: Anyone emigrated to Oz without ever visted there?

We arrived in Sydney on a 457 visa last June having never visited Oz before and I just loved the place the minute I stepped off the plane. As we were going down the pacific highway in the taxi to our apartment on the north shore, I was hit by how green it was (in the middle of winter), the clean streets and the blue skies. There are a few things like the supermarkets that I have had to get used to (I still prefer UK supermarkets) but overall I love it here. I was expecting some great culture shock but as it was, I didn't really find it that different culturally from the UK. Sydney is just beautiful and I feel very fortunate to live here and have no regrets abouts not visiting beforehand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.