Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone emigrated over 40

Wikiposts

Anyone emigrated over 40

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone emigrated over 40

"We regret more the things in life we DIDN'T do than those we did"

On that philosophy, I think you need to grab life by the balls and live it. It is not all about money.

Just to briefly tell you our experiences...
* We left a very secure, financially well off lifestyle and started again - 8 years ago when I was 32 and my husband 49. We moved from SA to the a small island in the Caribbean. It was the best move we ever made. It was not easy, and there were tough times, but we never regretted it. The life experiences we have had here are fantastic - and we now have a 5 year old daughter that was born here and has been raised in her formative years in a very free,outdoor, multicultural lifestyle. Money could not replace the life opportunities we have had.
* Now, for many complicated reasons that is not the topic here, we find that the next chapter is about to unfold.....and we need to find a country that we can finally call home and make it the last move we make. And Australia it is.
* I am now 40, my husband 56......and we will probably be moving late next year.
* We will be taking some funds, but not alot to what appears to be a very expensive country (you do not make millions living on an island).
* We will be needing to make money from almost the go get, and our free and easy lifestyle that we have enjoyed here, will essentially be gone. But the reasons we are making this move are sound, and we keep focussed on that. We have another 30 good years together.....what is a year or two of battling in the bigger scheme of things.
I need a country to raise my child in. I need a country to grow old in.
That's Aus.
If that means counting the pennies again for a couple of years, then so be it. We have done it before, and can go it again........
And we have a strong family that loves each other (sounds corny I know....but it really does make a difference when you do through the stress of immigration).
Our child feels safe and secure in her realtionships within the family, and you will be surprised at how unimportant money is to them when they are happy. Confident, happy and secure family.....what more could you ask for?

I have no doubt that we have some tough times ahead. And I too lie in bed at night and feel the pressure.....I am human after all. But I also know we will make it. And the result will be worthwhile....

Does that help at all?

Nix
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
"We regret more the things in life we DIDN'T do than those we did"

On that philosophy, I think you need to grab life by the balls and live it. It is not all about money.

Just to briefly tell you our experiences...
* We left a very secure, financially well off lifestyle and started again - 8 years ago when I was 32 and my husband 49. We moved from SA to the a small island in the Caribbean. It was the best move we ever made. It was not easy, and there were tough times, but we never regretted it. The life experiences we have had here are fantastic - and we now have a 5 year old daughter that was born here and has been raised in her formative years in a very free,outdoor, multicultural lifestyle. Money could not replace the life opportunities we have had.
* Now, for many complicated reasons that is not the topic here, we find that the next chapter is about to unfold.....and we need to find a country that we can finally call home and make it the last move we make. And Australia it is.
* I am now 40, my husband 56......and we will probably be moving late next year.
* We will be taking some funds, but not alot to what appears to be a very expensive country (you do not make millions living on an island).
* We will be needing to make money from almost the go get, and our free and easy lifestyle that we have enjoyed here, will essentially be gone. But the reasons we are making this move are sound, and we keep focussed on that. We have another 30 good years together.....what is a year or two of battling in the bigger scheme of things.
I need a country to raise my child in. I need a country to grow old in.
That's Aus.
If that means counting the pennies again for a couple of years, then so be it. We have done it before, and can go it again........
And we have a strong family that loves each other (sounds corny I know....but it really does make a difference when you do through the stress of immigration).
Our child feels safe and secure in her realtionships within the family, and you will be surprised at how unimportant money is to them when they are happy. Confident, happy and secure family.....what more could you ask for?

I have no doubt that we have some tough times ahead. And I too lie in bed at night and feel the pressure.....I am human after all. But I also know we will make it. And the result will be worthwhile....

Does that help at all?

Nix
yes- OH and I had long chat making big decisions, and spoke to daughter today- she is excited by the move altho has her own worries, but she had not been clear about why we were going(for her to grow up in the best possible place and similar reasons to you) Now feel happier with choices, and although it will be hard at first, it should hopefully be for the best in the long run.
Caroline
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

caveman1 will become famous soon enoughcaveman1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
yes- OH and I had long chat making big decisions, and spoke to daughter today- she is excited by the move altho has her own worries, but she had not been clear about why we were going(for her to grow up in the best possible place and similar reasons to you) Now feel happier with choices, and although it will be hard at first, it should hopefully be for the best in the long run.
Caroline
Hi all
I am 53 and and OH is 60. We are going to OZ on a CPV143 and hope to be there Sept/Oct. Life is not a rehearsal, you have to take risks to achieve your goals.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

Look mate, you only live once. You sleep in the boneyard forever. If you are thinking of migrating, clearly there is something missing where you are. Pack your bags and go. I would not sell my English home. I would rent it and use the revenue to fund my Australian home. It gives you a backup in case you want to come back.

I believe you mentioned that you were in the SAS for 3 years in another thread. I'm sure you know that SAS, SARS, US Delta Force, etc. cross train. You may still do what you did. You could request to be on loan to the Aussies, or you can become a civilian instructor. In US, mercenary "security" companies are mushrooms after the rain. They provide many times the military salary. The area next to Australia is pretty unstable. There should be a few in Australia as well.

There is no reason to go from shooting automatic weapons to shooting nails into walls on construction sites. You can teach corporate drones leadership. I'd be your student. A lot of Fortune 500 CEOs were US marines. Military training is a metaphor. It can be applied to civilian life.

Granted, I have no children and no wife. I'm thinking of going to Officer Candidate School or Australia. You have 20 years over me. You know more. Respect!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpookyET
Look mate, you only live once. You sleep in the boneyard forever. If you are thinking of migrating, clearly there is something missing where you are. Pack your bags and go. I would not sell my English home. I would rent it and use the revenue to fund my Australian home. It gives you a backup in case you want to come back.

I believe you mentioned that you were in the SAS for 3 years in another thread. I'm sure you know that SAS, SARS, US Delta Force, etc. cross train. You may still do what you did. You could request to be on loan to the Aussies, or you can become a civilian instructor. In US, mercenary "security" companies are mushrooms after the rain. They provide many times the military salary. The area next to Australia is pretty unstable. There should be a few in Australia as well.

There is no reason to go from shooting automatic weapons to shooting nails into walls on construction sites. You can teach corporate drones leadership. I'd be your student. A lot of Fortune 500 CEOs were US marines. Military training is a metaphor. It can be applied to civilian life.

Granted, I have no children and no wife. I'm thinking of going to Officer Candidate School or Australia. You have 20 years over me. You know more. Respect!
Rambo you may find there is just as much money shooting nails into walls as shooting automatic weapons much better for soul too,
I will look out for you on the xbox sir over and out
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

PoshPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for posting your honest thoughts. I am 40 next year and have come out here on my own, leaving a great job, security and my OH! but thats a different story and I'm basically getting this 'out of my system'. I don't want to look back and think 'what if'. I think I have made a mistake coming here...I am now on crap wages, not in a job I love ( i'm lucky and have loved every job i've done) and find the cost of living expensive...I don't have expensive tastes by the way! I find I have to keep a lot of my thoughts to myself, there's good and bad in both countries and oz is just different...but why be worse off?

Everyone I have met has children and I can totally understand why those people think this is the best place on earth to bring up kids. However, my sister had her children here and moved back to the uk with them...I can also see her point of view.

So what I'm trying to say to those who are unsure...do it, come out and try it...its not the life sentence it once was!! and as i always end my emails..not loving it, not hating it, just living it!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
Rambo you may find there is just as much money shooting nails into walls as shooting automatic weapons much better for soul too,
I will look out for you on the xbox sir over and out
I haven't touched an XBOX in years, and when I had, I haven't played SOCOM, Rainbow 6, and all the other tactical shooters. But, I see how you could have thought that. I mostly played adventure/driving games, and of coarse HALO and HALO2.

That said, I was just saying that a) you can use military training as a metaphor and apply to civilian life, b) no reason to change and still continue doing a what you did or a form of what you did. Some people have a huge problem accommodating to civilian life after serving. A quarter of the homeless in USA are veterans.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PoshPom
Thanks for posting your honest thoughts. I am 40 next year and have come out here on my own, leaving a great job, security and my OH! but thats a different story and I'm basically getting this 'out of my system'. I don't want to look back and think 'what if'. I think I have made a mistake coming here...I am now on crap wages, not in a job I love ( i'm lucky and have loved every job i've done) and find the cost of living expensive...I don't have expensive tastes by the way! I find I have to keep a lot of my thoughts to myself, there's good and bad in both countries and oz is just different...but why be worse off?

Everyone I have met has children and I can totally understand why those people think this is the best place on earth to bring up kids. However, my sister had her children here and moved back to the uk with them...I can also see her point of view.

So what I'm trying to say to those who are unsure...do it, come out and try it...its not the life sentence it once was!! and as i always end my emails..not loving it, not hating it, just living it!
If you are on a temporary visa, you are stuck with that ugly job until you can get PR or you can try to find someone else to sponsor you. If you are not, look for another job even if you have to move from east coast to Perth. You moved across the globe; what's a little move across the continent? Don't torture yourself with that job.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:50 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Im 76 and my husband is 84 and we emigrated in March and are very happy.

Only kidding - I am 40 and my husband is 45 - you are never too old
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Im 76 and my husband is 84 and we emigrated in March and are very happy.

Only kidding - I am 40 and my husband is 45 - you are never too old

NUTTER!!!!
Tracyxxx
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

chilli33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Anyone emigrated over 40

Hey...a bit late but better than never!

My husband is 52 and i am 45
I was an International Student to get us here quickly.
Then my husband got a job and ENS sponsership, within 4 weeks ( we are on the Gold Coast), which will take about 6 more months so we also applied for 457 which took 6 weeks because we applied online here in Oz.
We have 3 children 18,14 & 10 who are enjoying it and are in good schools and we have rung Qld Education and they told us that we don't have to pay school fees for them on the 457.

My first 20 years in Australia. My second twenty years in the UK and the last 5 in Spain so i know what to expect here and the best decision was to bring them here....we feel so free!

It's only expensive here if you buy loads of crap food. Living in Spain we learnt to do without all the ready prepared stuff so going without it here is not such a hardship. You can manage and live well with free bbq's everywhere so you and the kids can be outdoors nearly every day here on the GC. Everyone is, on the whole, pleasant and friendly and helpful.

No going back for us. Except for holidays!

Like the others say ... you only get one life.............

See ya!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

debandp will become famous soon enough

Hi so glad this thread was started. Making me feel better as we are submitting our pr application soon and oh is 45 in november so ive crossed everything. All the positive posts have really reduced my blood pressure which is not good for a 44yr old hoping for a good medical.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:29 am
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

Originally Posted by debandp
Hi so glad this thread was started. Making me feel better as we are submitting our pr application soon and oh is 45 in november so ive crossed everything. All the positive posts have really reduced my blood pressure which is not good for a 44yr old hoping for a good medical.
Dont worry,i'm 45 & the wifes 48 and the likely lads 18.
We have been accepted and we all had slightly high blood pressure so there is hope for us all.
Best of luck

Mark
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret
Most Poms we have made friends with over here i would say 80% are over 40 i always ask the question is their anyone under 40 still migrating. I'm sure 40-45 is the top bracket for most landing on these shores.

Dalel
I'M 32, + WIFE AND 3 GIRLS 4-6-7. I TOO HAVE A GOOD JOB, BIG HOUSE, SMALL MORGAGE ETC. WE HAVE MEDICALS IN 2 WEEKS, I AM ALSO WONDERING.. AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING? BEING THE BREADWINNER ETC. I KEEP THINKING... WE HAVE IT GOOD HERE......SO WHY IS THERE A PULL TO THE LAND DOWNUNDER? MY WORK COLEGUES WHO ARE MOSTLY IN THEIR 50'S SAY IF THEY HAD THE CHANCE THEY WOULD TAKE IT WITH BOTH HANDS! OR ARE THEY TRYING TO GET RID OF ME?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

A big thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and hopefully like me it has given much re-assurance for making the move when 40+. Best of luck to you all and hopefully we can all meet up in Aus in another 40 years or so !!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.