Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone emigrated with 16/17 year old?

Anyone emigrated with 16/17 year old?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:15 pm
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all
Unhappy Anyone emigrated with 16/17 year old?

Me, my husband and 2 sons aged 14 and 16 put our application in back in
May. Went on holiday for 2 weeks in July to Brisbane had a great time but
16 year old is really against emigrating as he doesn`t want to leave his
friends. He is due to start college in Sept so I do realise that this is
possibly the worst age for us to emigrate but I just wondered if anybody
on this forum has any experience similar to this or if anybody has emigrated
with a son/daughter this age and how they got on if they went to college in
Oz ?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone emigrated with 16/17 year old?

Hi

We're due to move in January 2005 and will be facing the same problems as you with a 13yr and 16yr old. The eldest will have been in college a while by January and will problably have changed her mind and wants to stay here. From all of the threads on here i dont think we willboth have much too worry about onve the kids have been on oz a while and have settled in.

It's no different really if you were moving within the UK, they can still talk to their friends via the net just the same.

Well here's keeping all my fingers and toes crossed.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:34 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hilton`s
Oz ?
Hi

Our children are similar ages 13 and 17. 17 year old is the real driving force probably because he is a surfer and plays a lot of sport too which is in abundance in Oz. He is actually doing a tertiary year so will be studying with peers a year younger and is fine with that. That's if he makes it back from Ibiza in one piece where he is with his mates at the mo!!!

We are more worried about the 13 year old who is becoming more upset as the depature day gets closer, missing friends and family is her biggest worry.

Good luck

Walla
Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough

i have just posted a very similar thread - hadn't read yours at that time. it is a tough call to make if one of the children is reluctant - i just keep telling myself that they'll love it once they get out there. the trouble is that teenagers are completely self obsessed and there whole universe basically just revolves around them and their freinds and they have great difficulty imagining anything could be better! i would be very interested to know how other peoples reluctant teenagers have settled.

Did you see that program on the t.v. called ' a new life down under' or something like that - about families and their experiences as they make new lives in oz. one 17 year old boy went with his family and returned to uk after only 3 days!!

let us know how you get on.

jax
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of teenagers don't look to the future very much either - the benefits of dual citizenship to them later in life will be significant, even if they do return to the UK after a few years (provided they sort out their citizenship first - Australia expects those aged 16 or over to apply as individuals).

Jeremy

Originally Posted by jaxowen
i have just posted a very similar thread - hadn't read yours at that time. it is a tough call to make if one of the children is reluctant - i just keep telling myself that they'll love it once they get out there. the trouble is that teenagers are completely self obsessed and there whole universe basically just revolves around them and their freinds and they have great difficulty imagining anything could be better! i would be very interested to know how other peoples reluctant teenagers have settled.

Did you see that program on the t.v. called ' a new life down under' or something like that - about families and their experiences as they make new lives in oz. one 17 year old boy went with his family and returned to uk after only 3 days!!

let us know how you get on.

jax
Old Aug 11th 2004, 1:23 pm
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Thanks for all your replies. We have thought of saying to our son that if he
will give it a year and if he doesn`t like Oz then if he chooses to come back
then it will be his decision as he will be 18 by then. What is quite strange
is that our 14 year old has a large group of friends but still says although he
thinks it will be hard leaving friends and family he still thinks it would be for
the best in the long run. I think my 16 year old thinks the same deep down
but he has such a great social life at the moment and is just gaining more
and more independence and I just think it is the thought of not having such
great friends in Oz. I have to say that if he did decide to come back to the
UK I would be devastated !!!! but hopefully after a couple of months he
would see what a great place he had left! or better still he might meet a
lovely aussie girl to show him the sights!!!

bye for now

Tracey xx
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

little miss c is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies. We have thought of saying to our son that if he
will give it a year and if he doesn`t like Oz then if he chooses to come back
then it will be his decision as he will be 18 by then. What is quite strange
is that our 14 year old has a large group of friends but still says although he
thinks it will be hard leaving friends and family he still thinks it would be for
the best in the long run. I think my 16 year old thinks the same deep down
but he has such a great social life at the moment and is just gaining more
and more independence and I just think it is the thought of not having such
great friends in Oz. I have to say that if he did decide to come back to the
UK I would be devastated !!!! but hopefully after a couple of months he
would see what a great place he had left! or better still he might meet a
lovely aussie girl to show him the sights!!!

bye for now

Tracey xx
I have three sons, the eldest whos 18 is staying here, the middle one is looking foward to going, but will miss his friends and family. The youngest whos 12 hates the thought of going and keeps saying things like.....what about the spiders, what about this and that, any excuse! He's very close to the grandparents being the youngest and they spoil him rotten, s
o ithink missing them will be hard for him. I just keep telling him we have to just go and see how thing go....doesnt mean we will never come back or that when he's older he can't come back on his own.
It's hard trying to be positive when I so :scared: too!
Hopefully the kids will settle down and love it
Old Aug 11th 2004, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

sandra oldfield is on a distinguished road

Oz ?

Hi,

We are flying on 29/08/04...............2 days after Tobys 17th birthday. He really wanted to go when we first started the process, but lost interest after about a year!!!
We have included him in all the decision making.
He has just finished a year at college here and has stated that he will go to college again in Perth. We wait with `baited` breath.
He is not the easiest 16 year old that I have met, but at the momnet he is once again keen to go.

Sandra
Old Aug 11th 2004, 8:04 pm
Now in Mandurah

Pauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sandra oldfield
Hi,

We are flying on 29/08/04...............2 days after Tobys 17th birthday. He really wanted to go when we first started the process, but lost interest after about a year!!!
We have included him in all the decision making.
He has just finished a year at college here and has stated that he will go to college again in Perth. We wait with `baited` breath.
He is not the easiest 16 year old that I have met, but at the momnet he is once again keen to go.

Sandra

Hi Sandra Glad to hear that Toby still wants to go, you do not need anymore pressure what with you having to sit with the perves!!!!

Hope you are all ok.
Pauline
xxx
Old Aug 11th 2004, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

sandra oldfield is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pauline
Hi Sandra Glad to hear that Toby still wants to go, you do not need anymore pressure what with you having to sit with the perves!!!!

Hope you are all ok.
Pauline
xxx
Got a big ugly perv sitting next to me at the moment. Keeps looking at my tits and licking his lips. I told Mick he wouldnt like it down here!!!!!LOL LOL
Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:40 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter was 17 when we arrived still going through a rebelious stage. She arrived home just before we left U.K with her toungue pierced hoping it would be the last straw and we'd leave her behind. No such luck she was dragged kicking, screaming and voicing protests the whole way. By the time we arrived in Bangkok she spent a week laid by the pool she had changed her mind a little.
10 months down the line she's 18 has a boyfriend whom she lives with and wouldn't return to U.K if we wanted her to. She sounds more like an Australian than our 12 yr old. She's still rebelling against society in general but gradually realising that work and holding down a job are essential to paying the rent
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

sue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura about

Oz ?
I am emigrating with my 12 year old daughter but I am leaving my 17 and 18 year old daughters behind because they don't want to come, even though I took them to Brisbane for two months last year. I am hoping at some point they will come out and study at an Australian university and I will be able to get them pr when they qualify at something. I think at this age they need some space to decide what they want. I know one day they will be out there with me.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Our sons now 19 but arrived here in time to do the last 2 years of high school. He loved it fitting right into the social stuff and found the work in his words "a piece of Piss" (apologies for the swearword Then the car MEGA happy, then the girlfriends SUPA happy, then b o r e d o m ....... he had been there and done that, trip to UK reminder of all that is exciting and PAY and JOBS. He did get into uni but it was in Toowoomba. He is very worldly for his age and is actually selling units that cost $1,000,000 :scared: but this job was through a mate and he is well aware this job is temporary.

Many of the surfie mates are now just dope heads without jobs. Even many of his mates who passed high school very well are now still working in supermarkets, dont kid yourself jobs are easy to come by here or Uni places. There not. He can well and truly see a lot of his mates with dead end lives here. He will return to the Uk within the next year I think, but of course girlfriends come and go and when hes happy with one he talks about it less.
Volatile years tho no matter where you lived.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 11th 2004 at 10:19 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue_parker
I am emigrating with my 12 year old daughter but I am leaving my 17 and 18 year old daughters behind because they don't want to come, even though I took them to Brisbane for two months last year. I am hoping at some point they will come out and study at an Australian university and I will be able to get them pr when they qualify at something. I think at this age they need some space to decide what they want. I know one day they will be out there with me.
Out of interest, why did you not include them on your visa application anyway?

Getting PR for children aged over 18 can sometimes be easier said than done.

Jeremy
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

sue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest, why did you not include them on your visa application anyway?

Getting PR for children aged over 18 can sometimes be easier said than done.

Jeremy
Didn't include them Jeremy because they are stroppy teenagers and they refused to have the medicals if I included them. Have tried everything to get them to come but they have dug there heels in. So they will have to learn the hard way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.