Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else a yo-yo?

Is anyone else a yo-yo?

Old May 16th 2003, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is anyone else a yo-yo?

Has anyone else moved away, come back and then decided it was a mistake and so wanted to move away again? Or am I the only one?
Just wanted some advice/thoughts from anyone who may be going through the same turmoil as us. You know, is it the right thing to go again, will the kids settle again, will we settle again, etc,etc,etc

Thanks, anything from people who have moved about would be really appreciated. I gues I just worry about my boys!!!

Scarlett
Old May 16th 2003, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is anyone else a yo-yo?

Originally posted by Scarlett G
Has anyone else moved away, come back and then decided it was a mistake and so wanted to move away again? Or am I the only one?
Just wanted some advice/thoughts from anyone who may be going through the same turmoil as us. You know, is it the right thing to go again, will the kids settle again, will we settle again, etc,etc,etc

Thanks, anything from people who have moved about would be really appreciated. I gues I just worry about my boys!!!

Scarlett

I'm sorry I don't have any personal experience of this but having lived in Florida for 8 years I've seen many yo-yo's! I don't know how long you have been out of the UK but it seems to me that once you have lived abroad for any significant amount of time and then make the move back, you are less likely to feel "at home". One guy told me that he he felt too British in America so returned home only to feel too American in the UK!!! I guess once you have experienced a completely different way of life its never the same once you go back, after the initial "I'm glad to be home" feeling has worn off the reasons you left in the first place still remain.

I'm sorry to sound so black about it but I for one would never want to go back to the UK voluntarily, I'd rather try another country if Oz doesn't suit.

All the best though!

Wannaby Wallaby
Old May 16th 2003, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right about when the "I'm glad to be home feelimg " has worn off. All the reasons we left in the first place are still here, hence the desire to go...problem is hubby is more settled back here than me!! Thanks anyway
Old May 16th 2003, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Scarlett,

I emmigrated from Scotland to South Africa with my family at the age of 4. I grew up there, married and have two children of my own. We decided to move to England 10 years ago, so migrated the family here, we have now decided to move again and are hoping to be in Oz by early next year. It is a difficult decision to make, we wonder whether we are doing the right thing for us and for the children, but we know we are not 100% happy in the UK and I want my children to experience the outdoor lifestyle I was priviliged to have in the warmer climate of South Africa. We could go "home" to South Africa, but we feel that the reasons that made us leave the country in the first place have not got any better, so we started looking at Australia as an option.

I think you just have to do what you think is best and once you have moved you do know that you can survive, you get through the tough times, and you have to make a go of it, wherever you are. The world is actually quite a small place after all.

Best of luck with your plans,
Hazel
Old May 16th 2003, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne crabtre is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoyed reading your story, even if paulf found himself dozing. Its nice to know that others are like me, I think that it is the libran in me, that makes me change. I am like a yoyo now, can't wait one minute, and the next wondering whether everything will work out to the way we want it too.
Old May 16th 2003, 4:21 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by WannabeWallaby
it seems to me that once you have lived abroad for any significant amount of time and then make the move back, you are less likely to feel "at home". One guy told me that he he felt too British in America so returned home only to feel too American in the UK!!! I guess once you have experienced a completely different way of life its never the same once you go back, after the initial "I'm glad to be home" feeling has worn off the reasons you left in the first place still remain.
Wannaby Wallaby
Good insight. I've lived outside the UK for about 10 years of my sad old fart existence including now, and I have to agree that the UK seems a worse and worse option to me as my next work/live place as time goes by.

Might go back in the future though - but it won't be forever! Definitely.

Cheers - Don
Old May 16th 2003, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

Are you really called Donald Pleasance ? And doesn't your role in "The Great Escape" have a bearing on all of this ?
Old May 16th 2003, 4:34 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gareth W
Are you really called Donald Pleasance ? And doesn't your role in "The Great Escape" have a bearing on all of this ?
Not Donald. Never Donald. Don. Plain old Don.

The Great Escape? A fine film, so I believe. Is that the one where Steve McQueen does a wheely on a Chopper or something?

Cheers - Don
Old May 17th 2003, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

That's the one (except its not a chopper). Donald Pleasance forger the documents for the escape but then went blind. He had to be left behind. Heart-rending stuff...
Old May 17th 2003, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Scarlett G

Scarlett
I'm repeating myself - not that that ever stopped me - but I have done the yo yo thing (twice) and am left wondering where the hell I belong and who I am (English or Canadian). I have a mid Atlantic accent so that I stand out on both sides of the ocean and do not feel entirely at home on either side. I did not feel that way during my first 7 years over here; it happened after two, two-year periods back in the UK. I'm settled now though - well sort of.
Old May 17th 2003, 9:18 am
Just Joined

jayneT is an unknown quantity at this point

My uncle moved to Canada over 50 years ago. Although he liked Canada he always saw the negative side and eventually decided after 20 years to come back to the UK, kids and all. Four years later, still unsettled, he found that the UK had moved on during his absence and he didn't like what he found. So back to Canada he went. He has been back in Canada ever since, 30 odd years now, but he still sees all the negative of Canada and longs for the UK. I think once you go - it is hard to come back because life moves on without you.

My husband is an Ozzie and he wants us to go to live in Perth. He has lived in the UK for 20 years now, and I am worried that the Perth he will find will not be the one he remembers. I have visions of me and kids really liking it and him really hating it . He has been back over the years and has complained to me about how 'american' it has become!!!! Yet he still wants to go back and constantly complains about the UK.

Maybe once you leave somewhere you never truely belong any one place again?????!!!!!

Jayne
Old May 17th 2003, 9:44 am
Just Joined

matt&sue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayneT
My uncle moved to Canada over 50 years ago. Although he liked Canada he always saw the negative side and eventually decided after 20 years to come back to the UK, kids and all. Four years later, still unsettled, he found that the UK had moved on during his absence and he didn't like what he found. So back to Canada he went. He has been back in Canada ever since, 30 odd years now, but he still sees all the negative of Canada and longs for the UK. I think once you go - it is hard to come back because life moves on without you.

My husband is an Ozzie and he wants us to go to live in Perth. He has lived in the UK for 20 years now, and I am worried that the Perth he will find will not be the one he remembers. I have visions of me and kids really liking it and him really hating it . He has been back over the years and has complained to me about how 'american' it has become!!!! Yet he still wants to go back and constantly complains about the UK.

Maybe once you leave somewhere you never truely belong any one place again?????!!!!!

Jayne
Old May 17th 2003, 9:46 am
Just Joined

matt&sue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by matt&sue
what part of pert are you going to
Old May 17th 2003, 9:58 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think...people think too much...
Old May 17th 2003, 10:11 am
Just Joined

jayneT is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Originally posted by matt&sue
what part of pert are you going to
Hi

His family are in north Perth and his mother is close to Mandura. We were thinking of maybe just outside Perth to the south. To be honest we don't really know because I have never been to Oz and like I said he hasn't lived there for years.

Are you going to Perth? Or are you already there?

Jayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.