Reload this Page >

Is anyone else scared?

Wikiposts

Is anyone else scared?

Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:24 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is anyone else scared?

Originally Posted by fraser
Same here, but what an opportunity we are giving them, they'll have dual citizenship and the choice of most of Europe, Australia and new Zealand to live in when they get older.

I'm after some reassurance here so bear with me....

These were my thoughts - the PR visa/citizenship application was really for the kids - to give them as many opportunities as possible.

True in theory but in practice? Will they really choose to live in the UK/Europe having lived most of their life in Australia?

Will they be able to afford to get a good degree that opens doors? (earlier thread) or will they just hoon around......?

Will they miss out on all of the culture that the UK and Europe offers?

Will they be so skint (high tax, health fees, salary) that they'll wish that we'd brought them up in the UK?

As you can tell, today I'm in my "Do two years and come back" mode!! I just get the feeling - usually after spending too much time on this website - that I'm doing exactly the wrong thing for the kids.

I'm now waiting for SackofSpuds and others to post - "Yep - you are doing the wrong thing!!"
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say I'm scared, but obviously when you have kids it's definately more of a worry.
Absolutely, I think that's my main concern. I'm taking my children from a good school where they have loads of great friends. My daughter is having to sell her beloved pony and my son give up his activities and for what? The great unknown :scared:. I worry in case I can't find a decent school, they get bullied, what if I can't afford to make ends meet. The list is endless, but at the end of the day my reasons for going are for them and their future.

I want them to have a better quality of life, to be able to enjoy the great outdoors. Go on family bike rides without having to worry too much about the weather. As Fraser says to give them the freedom of a large chunk of the world when they are older.

If the worst comes to the worst we can always return. But I am determined that we are going to make a bloody good go of it. We have survived a lot of things and I am sure we can survive the hard times that everybody endures at the beginning.

To the OP good luck with the move. I hope you have a great life over there.

Tracey
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Fraser - that's a really positive point.

I'm not really scared - excited and slightly daunted. Main worries are finding a job (hubbie hopefully, not me ) and finding a nice area to rent in. I have a lot of family here, there and everywhere - so it's in the blood I suppose. Adam's all live in the same street (well almost!). He's not scared at all - ever the optimist is Adam....
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very fine borderline between fear/excitement.

They are very similar physiologically.

That is why rollercoasters, fairground rides, horror films, illicit sex etc are all so exiting and addictive (and a bit scary).

You are bound to swing between the two emotions...it is natural.

G
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:34 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously with my kids both being pre-school age it makes it easier, but there are no gaurentees to any childs success be it in England or Oz.

Nothing's irreversable so if you give it your best shot you can only win or come back.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:41 am

you can only win or come back.
I like your philosophy!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:43 am

Smile Re: Is anyone else scared?

Originally Posted by Grayling
fairground rides, horror films, illicit sex etc are all so exiting and addictive (and a bit scary).

G

Thanks Grayling - I'm going to go and tell the wife that us moving to Australia is a little like illicit sex... May not be back on line for a while....
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
Thanks Grayling - I'm going to go and tell the wife that us moving to Australia is a little like illicit sex... May not be back on line for a while....
You wish

G
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:48 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

I understand how you feel, and were a long way off yet, but think of the exciting parts and think about..................Birmingham, mid winter......... see you feel better already don't you !!
Carole

Originally Posted by sarahc
Is anyone else scared ?
Ive been reading everyones threads for months and it has been valuable info. But at this moment in time im worried about whats instore for me and my family.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sarahc
Is anyone else scared ?
Ive been reading everyones threads for months and it has been valuable info. But at this moment in time im worried about whats instore for me and my family.
Only about not getting a decent job, spending all the house money and coming back to this dump! All I can say is that my family and me lived there for 6 years and we had a good time and I think I grew up normal (ish) but why the hell did'nt my parents take out citizenship!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bridiej
Could come in handy if there's another brick shortage in Oz!

Classic answer,karma for that!
Lynn
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:53 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
I like your philosophy!
No worries, in fact putting it down in writing I've helped myself.