Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having trouble making up their mind where to live?

Anyone else having trouble making up their mind where to live?

Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:28 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Anyone else having trouble making up their mind where to live?

I just can't make up my mind where I want to live!!!!

Melbourne would be undoubtably better for jobs for me, as I do a "head officey" type job in IT, plus I get very seduced by the beautiful pictures kind people on this and other forums have shown me of the Mornington Peninsula area.

BUT

I love Brisbane and the surrounding area, I've been there twice, love the sun and the beaches, love the (relative) proximity to good, warm water diving, love some places in North NSW near there.....

We could try living a while in both places but that would be very expensive...., and what would happen if I had the lucky problem of finding a job in one area before I'd had a chance to try out the other????!!!!

Is anyone else having this sort of dilemma, or are you all pretty fixed on one place?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:32 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else having trouble making up their mind where to live?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Melbourne would be undoubtably better for jobs for me, as I do a "head officey" type job in IT, plus I get very seduced by the beautiful pictures kind people on this and other forums have shown me of the Mornington Peninsula area.

BUT

I love Brisbane and the surrounding area, I've been there twice, love the sun and the beaches, love the (relative) proximity to good, warm water diving, love some places in North NSW near there.....

We could try living a while in both places but that would be very expensive...., and what would happen if I had the lucky problem of finding a job in one area before I'd had a chance to try out the other????!!!!

Is anyone else having this sort of dilemma, or are you all pretty fixed on one place?

Cheers

Buzzy
We're applying through SIR so our options are lmited to SA which realistically means Adelaide. I'd love to be able to choose. Good luck making your decision.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

Got exactly the same problem, everywhere looks good Have decided that Sydney and Alice Springs are out, so have narrowed it down ever so slightly. Maybe the old map and pin should help
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:27 pm
td1
Forum Regular

td1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud of

Hi Buzzy,

The 2 places we visited when we went on our trip 2 Oz were Brisbane and Melbourne. Must admit loved both places for different reasons but hand on heart would probably say Brisbane was my favourite.

Hubby had the chance of a job at both places but felt Melbourne would be best for his work so in the end we have chosen there. Feel that because work is also a big part of your life, he had to make sure he made the right choice regarding it and Melbourne seemed right
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:32 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone else having trouble making up their mind where to live?

Originally Posted by td1
Hi Buzzy,

The 2 places we visited when we went on our trip 2 Oz were Brisbane and Melbourne. Must admit loved both places for different reasons but hand on heart would probably say Brisbane was my favourite.

Hubby had the chance of a job at both places but felt Melbourne would be best for his work so in the end we have chosen there. Feel that because work is also a big part of your life, he had to make sure he made the right choice regarding it and Melbourne seemed right
Thanks for that. Where abouts in melbourne are you living / working?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:42 pm
td1
Forum Regular

td1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud of

We are not there yet- unfortunately!!

Hopefully will be going in a few months though. Not yet decided where we are going to end up in Melbourne but dont think we will be lucky enough to live as far down as Mornington cos hubby has to be nearish to CBD.

I also meant to say before that people sometimes say they give Oz a few years to try and find there feet and get settled. We are thinking about doing the same with Melbourne. We are going to give it a couple of years and if it doesn't feel right we would probably think about moving to Brisbane. I know it would take a lot of hassle/time and money to move but it is something we would consider.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:50 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by td1
We are not there yet- unfortunately!!

Hopefully will be going in a few months though. Not yet decided where we are going to end up in Melbourne but dont think we will be lucky enough to live as far down as Mornington cos hubby has to be nearish to CBD.

I also meant to say before that people sometimes say they give Oz a few years to try and find there feet and get settled. We are thinking about doing the same with Melbourne. We are going to give it a couple of years and if it doesn't feel right we would probably think about moving to Brisbane. I know it would take a lot of hassle/time and money to move but it is something we would consider.
After 2 years in Melbourne I doubt if you will want to go anywhere else.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:59 pm
td1
Forum Regular

You wouldn't be a wee bit biased by any chance
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:41 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by td1
You wouldn't be a wee bit biased by any chance

Perhaps just a teeny wee bit.

Have you joined Britvics site yet?

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:43 am
td1
Forum Regular

Hi Bordy,

I have already joined Britvics- started on there first then came over hewre after I saw a few links on Britvics.

Have a slight different user name on Britvics so will keep you guessing as to who i am!!!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 10:39 am
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

BUT

Cheers

Buzzy
Eeerr, yep tell us about it! My wife now has provisional job offers in both Melbourne AND Sydney (we both work in IT) and considering weve never been to either we arrnt too sure where to go now....poor us!

Canny sell our house either so were really stuck for what to do! Weve decided that were gonna just book flight for the beginning of April and if the hoose isnt sold by then we'll stick it up for rent or somthing....dont care any more!

Anybody want to buy our house????
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

BUT

If Melbourne is such a great place to live, why are there so many Victorian registered cars in QLD sporting "Victoria: the place to be" on their car registration plates?

And by the way, the cars arent filled with holiday stuff

WW
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Anyone else having trouble making up their mind where to live?

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Eeerr, yep tell us about it! My wife now has provisional job offers in both Melbourne AND Sydney (we both work in IT) and considering weve never been to either we arrnt too sure where to go now....poor us!

Canny sell our house either so were really stuck for what to do! Weve decided that were gonna just book flight for the beginning of April and if the hoose isnt sold by then we'll stick it up for rent or somthing....dont care any more!

No but I might take the job offer you don't want!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 12th 2006, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

dolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud of
Question Re: Anyone else having trouble making up their mind where to live?

BUT

Cheers

Buzzy
Quite a dilemma ! I too think jobs r available at sydney, melbourne, perth in that order. But, I heard that Adelaide has affordable prices and brisbane is where magic is.
Soo very confusing.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:00 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yamahaha

Don't want to buy it mate, but if ours sells first, we'll rent it from you till we get our visas.

As for where to go, just think of all that motorsport in Melbourne, I reckon it would be right up your street.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.