Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having to emigrate before rest of family

Anyone else having to emigrate before rest of family

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

sarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nice
Default Anyone else having to emigrate before rest of family

Just thought I would see if many others are having to head out to oz, leaving family behind? Our house has been on the market for 20 months without much success. Our last viewers have been reluctant to put in a decent offer, which leaves me to make the journey to Cairns on my own leaving my husband and kids to wait for the house to sell. We have had our visas since august and I dont want my new employers to cancel them because we are taking too long to get out there. I foolishly thought the house would have be sold by xmas and gave them a date of Jan/Feb 10. This will be such an emotional challenge for me as not only am I leaving my kids and husband behind but Im off to the other side of the world where I have never been before. I have no sense of direction and struggle to get to the Metro Centre on my own which is about 20/30 mins away. haha.

In Cairns I would have to find my own accommodation and sort out all the utility companies on my own (normally my husband would do all this). Oh and I forgot to mention I wouldnt have a car straight away either. Does anyone else think I am mad??? It's scary I know but I feel it is possible. Just thought if anyone else has done the same they could share their experiences.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone else having to emigrate before rest of family

Hi
Having been to Cairns recently I found it very easy to navigate around. Its not like your average city in UK. I am sure there will be plenty of expats who will help you settle in, maybe at your workplace.
I realise it will be difficult for you but you are not the first person to do this and it is something I am considering.
good luck
gary
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Hi,I know it must feel very daunting to you, but look on the bright side, you will soon have the kids& your hubby with you, are you now renting your house out? people under estimate the amount of energy it takes to move in our own town let alone to another country , think of it this way you will be so empowered doing all the things you never usually do, it will only make you stronger. I wanted my hubby to go out 1st and get sorted with a job/house etc, but he`s having none of it,lol

Bluekipper
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Role reversal in our house, hubby going out in January as his visa runs out Feb 10. We will follow once he is settled.

Scary but think of the adventure

Have you discussed renting your property out in case it doesn't sell in the near future

Good luck
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

steve_chal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarmstrong
Just thought I would see if many others are having to head out to oz, leaving family behind? Our house has been on the market for 20 months without much success. Our last viewers have been reluctant to put in a decent offer, which leaves me to make the journey to Cairns on my own leaving my husband and kids to wait for the house to sell. We have had our visas since august and I dont want my new employers to cancel them because we are taking too long to get out there. I foolishly thought the house would have be sold by xmas and gave them a date of Jan/Feb 10. This will be such an emotional challenge for me as not only am I leaving my kids and husband behind but Im off to the other side of the world where I have never been before. I have no sense of direction and struggle to get to the Metro Centre on my own which is about 20/30 mins away. haha.

In Cairns I would have to find my own accommodation and sort out all the utility companies on my own (normally my husband would do all this). Oh and I forgot to mention I wouldnt have a car straight away either. Does anyone else think I am mad??? It's scary I know but I feel it is possible. Just thought if anyone else has done the same they could share their experiences.
I had to go out to Sydney without my wife and children in June as she had to finish her contract. It was hard being that far away but skype and web cams helped. I'm back this week to pack the house and the whole family and I are going out to Oz permenantly on Dec 2nd.
We haven't sold our house and there are a multitude of other reasons why we shouldn't go but its just too hard being that apart after 5 months so we are diving in with all feet.
At least when they get of the plane, there is a house, car, freezer full of food and a barbie, whereas my first night in Oz was spent sleeping on a friends floor as the airbed was burst.
so go for it alone and look at it as a way of getting all of the infrastructural things in place for when the rest of the family can join you. Last but not least I found Tom Tom Sat Nav absolutely invaluable.
Good luck
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

rob_bee is an unknown quantity at this point

Cairns is very easy to get about without a car. Where abouts with you be staying and working?

It will be hard to start up everything on your own, but you should be able to sort some things before you go.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

dandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura about

Hi.
Yes, have done just that! I came out to Brisbane on 21st Sept and OH and son,10, stayed behind due to delays with the sale of his business, and are finally coming out on Dec 7th. I started work full time a week after I arrived and then had to fnd a rental, get everything connected even buy a car! I was in an empty house with nothing but two bar stools, an air bed and a sleeping bag until our stuff arrived. The worst bit was being without internet for a week, which meant no skype. Skype has been the one thing that's kept us going. I ordered my TFN the night I arrived as this can take up to 28 days, and joined medicare, changed driving licence over and got a pay as you go mobile on day two. I remember sitting in a coffee shop watching people go by thinking I knew no-one in this whole country!
Like you, my husband would normally sort out things like internet etc, because I don't really have a clue about usage, speed etc but I just had to do the best I could.
I have been so out of my comfort zone and am proud of myself for getting through it, but I've really had enough, now and can't wait for them to get here. It's been really hard on my son too, he's desparate for a special cuddle off his mum!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

sarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nice

A big thanks to you all for your messages of support, I am feeling a bit more positive about it now. Getting out of my comfort zone will be really good for me instead of relying on others. I am a girl with power and I see it as an adventure (something I should have done 10 years ago but never had the courage). I have been a bit silent on BE, always finding my answers on other peoples posts but I see from starting my own thread that there is a lot of love and support on this site and that means alot in this world. A big thanks again and good luck to you all who are in the same situation. x
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feel pressured by the hospital, I am sure that they are very used to people having to delay their move for various reasons. Have you sounded them out? If you do, contact Denise & not Christine!
The hospital should also be providing you with accom for 2 weeks on arrival which takes the pressure off you a little bit & they do not expect you to start work within that time either as you need to get settled.
I personally do not think that Cairns is that easy without a car particularly if you are doing shifts as the public transport can be pretty unreliable & I would not want to be hanging around anywhere after a late shiftor walking far on my own either.
Cairns is however, very easy to drive around.
If I can be of any help, just pm me!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dandan1
Hi.
Yes, have done just that! I came out to Brisbane on 21st Sept and OH and son,10, stayed behind due to delays with the sale of his business, and are finally coming out on Dec 7th. I started work full time a week after I arrived and then had to fnd a rental, get everything connected even buy a car! I was in an empty house with nothing but two bar stools, an air bed and a sleeping bag until our stuff arrived. The worst bit was being without internet for a week, which meant no skype. Skype has been the one thing that's kept us going. I ordered my TFN the night I arrived as this can take up to 28 days, and joined medicare, changed driving licence over and got a pay as you go mobile on day two. I remember sitting in a coffee shop watching people go by thinking I knew no-one in this whole country!
Like you, my husband would normally sort out things like internet etc, because I don't really have a clue about usage, speed etc but I just had to do the best I could.
I have been so out of my comfort zone and am proud of myself for getting through it, but I've really had enough, now and can't wait for them to get here. It's been really hard on my son too, he's desparate for a special cuddle off his mum!
OMG! I am reading this again and I have to say that I dont know you but I am really proud of you. It's a very scary journey but it just goes to show that anything is possible when you want it that badly, It will all be worth it in the end when you are reunited with your family. Good Luck. x
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Don't feel pressured by the hospital, I am sure that they are very used to people having to delay their move for various reasons. Have you sounded them out? If you do, contact Denise & not Christine!
The hospital should also be providing you with accom for 2 weeks on arrival which takes the pressure off you a little bit & they do not expect you to start work within that time either as you need to get settled.
I personally do not think that Cairns is that easy without a car particularly if you are doing shifts as the public transport can be pretty unreliable & I would not want to be hanging around anywhere after a late shiftor walking far on my own either.
Cairns is however, very easy to drive around.
If I can be of any help, just pm me!
Thanks Sallyclaire, I am getting the 2 weeks accom from the hospital but am hoping to rent an apartment very close to the hospital until my family can join me then we can move into a house bit further away as I would have a car by then. This wasn't the ideal way to start our new life but just a minor deviation. I feel a bit more positive about it now but I might just pm you in the near future. Thanks.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

I did it - came out with my 6 year old daughter and left my husband to sort out the selling of the house (which he didn't manage to achieve - we have it rented now)........one day at a time stuff, and it is much more mangeable than you would think.
Nix
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

I have left my hubby behind to fend for himself. I came out with my daughter in Oct to find a rental, dog and shipping arriving mid Dec, We have not been able to sell our house so hubby stayed home until it gets rented etc. So we will spend Christmas apart he hopes to get out here around March.Poor sod is sleeping on a few floor cushions in an empty house ,freezing cold wet u.k. I try not to imagine him sitting alone Christmas day with his hat on pulling a cracker between each hand.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

wannabauzzienurse did this, to Cairns and the same hospital. Do a search of her posts, including her one year update May be worth emailing her, she'd have loads of advice.

Good luck to you.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

dandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura about

OMG! I am reading this again and I have to say that I dont know you but I am really proud of you. It's a very scary journey but it just goes to show that anything is possible when you want it that badly, It will all be worth it in the end when you are reunited with your family. Good Luck. x
Thanks, S.
It was daunting at first, but I have to say everybody I met, from mobile phone shop to hospital staff without exception have been really friendly and helpful which has made it so much easier. From my experience I would definately say go for it, like you it wasn't how we planned to start our life here, but you are right, it will be worth it in the end.
Good luck.
Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.