Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone else emigrating broke?

Wikiposts

anyone else emigrating broke?

Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:50 am
Merlot

Default Re: anyone else emigrating broke?

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Thanks for the k Merlot, I'll return when I've got another stash, I'm all out for today. What you wrote actually touched me. It's nice for someone to believe in us rather than tell us we're daft for going with nothing.
At the end of the day we could stay in Sheffield and never have much more, there's not much scope for us over here, or we emigrate to where we really want to be and give it our all. It's not like we've got nothing, like I've already said, our furniture is coming cos it'd cost more to replace than what we could sell it for, our dog is going cos we rescued her as a puppy and now she has a good life, we couldn't bear to get rid, she's only 2 and like having another child, also the car comes, my hubby has built it up from being a non runner to being in showroom condition and we'll need a car in Oz, atleast we know ours is reliable. We're shipping it to arrive as we do so we'll have it from not long afeter we get there to be able to have a good scout round at things.
Thanks again for your kind words, determination will get us there.
Marie
Pleasure Marie, also to Steve2438, Stormz and to everyone else giving it a shot.

I have been there with settling in new counties with minimal £££/$$$ and when we came back to the UK last March. Mind we have been very lucky on our return with donations from teaspoons to curtains from my family, we love em!

Let me tell you the things you can acheive when the chips are down is quite incredible.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:39 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

We`re taking our dog too. Still in shock that our tickets are @£800, and the muttley is @£1200..... plus @$600 for quarantine in Perth.

Looks like we`ll be taking our car as we can`t sell it here and at least we know how reliable it is.

I came to the UK 10 or so years ago with only a couple of thousand $, and luckily did quite well. I agree with you about going when all you`re doing here is treading water.... makes sense to me.

Another reason for us going (apart from family) is that we know we don`t have a hope in hell of buying a house in the UK anymore, even with me on £26k a year.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:03 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Hi, like some of you have house to sell, but not made much on it, by the time have paid of credit card, shipped belongings, flights etc will go with £15,000. So not enough to buy outright, will doing the renting thing for the 2 years and then look at buying house of dreams Keep getting it in the ear from family here that renting is dead money, silly to go to another country they say and only be in a rented house. Sillly to go and give up good job and maybe have nothing. WELL FAMILY I WANT TO BE SILLY, they just can not get it, that it is the adventure, the challange, the chance at a better life for all of us that is the thing. So good luck to you all, we can do it

Nicky
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:50 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Way to go Nicky!!!

All of you who are from Britain are bloody courageous. I salute each and every one of you.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:22 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000
Hi, like some of you have house to sell, but not made much on it, by the time have paid of credit card, shipped belongings, flights etc will go with £15,000. So not enough to buy outright, will doing the renting thing for the 2 years and then look at buying house of dreams Keep getting it in the ear from family here that renting is dead money, silly to go to another country they say and only be in a rented house. Sillly to go and give up good job and maybe have nothing. WELL FAMILY I WANT TO BE SILLY, they just can not get it, that it is the adventure, the challange, the chance at a better life for all of us that is the thing. So good luck to you all, we can do it

Nicky
One for those in Oz if I may.

The better life thing, is this a possibility as far as house buying? Is it easier in Australia for first time buyers coming over from the UK? Is Perth the place to go to achieve this rather than Sydney or Melbourne?

I know from personal experience that we could not afford to get on the housing ladder in Sydney and by the time we got our act together to buy in NSW Central Coast the market had exploded and our deposit was not enough.

To those over in Oz, what is the market like now????

M

Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:06 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merlot

The better life thing, is this a possibility as far as house buying? Is it easier in Australia for first time buyers coming over from the UK? Is Perth the place to go to achieve this rather than Sydney or Melbourne?

I know from personal experience that we could not afford to get on the housing ladder in Sydney and by the time we got our act together to buy in NSW Central Coast the market had exploded and our deposit was not enough.

M
In Sydney it's high and flat. I firmly believe that in the east it's currently cheaper to rent than to buy considering the higher base rates, lower growth, and perponderance of other fees, charges and costs involved in buying and owning property here. At the moment we're renting and saving the difference between our rent and a 500k mortgage in an ingdirect account - ok it takes a bit more discipline, but I reckon we're beating property investment by over 10% this way round. I for one will carry on renting until the housing market starts to show real and sustainable growth.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stormz
We don`t have a house to sell or anything, so we`ll be arriving in Perth in June with $15k in an Oz bank account, and that`s basically it... and that will be eaten into to either pay for shipping our car over or buying another one.

At least we`ll be staying with the in-laws until I can get a decent job and then save up for a house of our own.

It`s bloody scary giving up a good job here and a country I (generally) love being in, for what we consider the best thing to do for our growing family.

Most of you seem to be going with enough to set yourselves up in a house etc..... any other like us going to be starting all over again?
Came out with considerably less than zero and have slightly less than less than zero now.

I love it out here, forget about the financial considerations, if you wanna do it then do it with all you've got and don't look back.

(edit) Maidstone, nice place ... come from Chatham meself.

Last edited by Deadmeat; Apr 26th 2005 at 10:43 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Came out with considerably less than zero and have slightly less than less than zero now.

I love it out here, forget about the financial considerations, if you wanna do it then do it with all you've got and don't look back.

I'll have practically nothing to emigrate with either. I'm pretty resourceful when money is tight, so I'm sure I'll manage.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Deadmeat

I've noticed a few from Medway Towns recently, has it changed much in the last couple of years ?

Old Apr 27th 2005, 5:01 am
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've noticed a few from Medway Towns recently, has it changed much in the last couple of years ?
The chavs are breeding profusely www.chavscum.co.uk

Nah, seriously it`s not bad here at all. Kent is a great place. We love it here.... just can`t hope to buy a place unless it all crashes in the next month.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:24 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by 4lex
In Sydney it's high and flat. I firmly believe that in the east it's currently cheaper to rent than to buy considering the higher base rates, lower growth, and perponderance of other fees, charges and costs involved in buying and owning property here. At the moment we're renting and saving the difference between our rent and a 500k mortgage in an ingdirect account - ok it takes a bit more discipline, but I reckon we're beating property investment by over 10% this way round. I for one will carry on renting until the housing market starts to show real and sustainable growth.
Thanks for that advice, much appreciated.

Merlot

Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormz
Yeah we`re pretty simple

Would love to sell the car here, but we`re not going to sell it for silly money.... would rather take it with us.... don`t want to give it away.

We have it on ebay now... just look for `amigastorm`.
I looked into bringing my motorbike over - unless you have something special, the costs aren't worth it IMHO.

As for coming to Oz broke - we had a few hundred quid in the bank account, a credit card balance and bank loan (thanks mostly to an expensive divorce process) and the prospect of earning less than half of what I was on in the UK.

Being a bit of a hippy when it comes to these sort of things, I simply explored my options, am about to start a repayment plan with the assistance of PayPlan (thoroughly recommend them to anyone in a similar position, emigrating or not), and we're having a great time in Perth on a limited budget.

My employer helped me find a car - $5600 for a 10 year old Mitsubishi Magna that is capable of commuting and longer trips out. My wife has bought a small-ish Hyundai, again about 10 yrs old, for just over $3000.

If non-material riches float your boat, then Perth can certainly give you what you want.

Keep your dream in mind, and all obstacles will melt away
Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot

M
Out of curiosity, and to get out of the house for a few hours (we were still with the in-laws at the time), we went to look at a display home for a company that do starter homes. It was nothing like the 2 bedroom terraced pillboxes with handkerchief gardens that you get in the UK! 4 bedrooms, nice layout - they even had house and land packages with 100% mortgages that cost no more than renting (based on you being eligible for the $7000 first-time buyers allowance).

I wouldn't generalise and say houses are cheaper than the UK, it depends on which locations you are comparing in the 2 countries, but I think you get more for your money. Given that it was costing 100K for a basic family home when we left Weston in January, you can get a very nice place for $250K in the "Greater Perth" area.

We certainly would have found it difficult to get on the property ladder in the UK, but are hoping to get a place of our own here in maybe 6 to 12 months time.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

mash is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it takes a while to get a job in Australia, and during this time its easy for the savings to run out.

Try one of those work-from-home things till you get a steady income.
StudioTraffic.com is a great place to start, you can earn enough to pay the bills with no investment.

Email Cash is another, but it takes time to get enough to cash out.

And GreenZap is offering $25 just to sign up.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:48 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by TheAncientGeek
Out of curiosity, and to get out of the house for a few hours (we were still with the in-laws at the time), we went to look at a display home for a company that do starter homes. It was nothing like the 2 bedroom terraced pillboxes with handkerchief gardens that you get in the UK! 4 bedrooms, nice layout - they even had house and land packages with 100% mortgages that cost no more than renting (based on you being eligible for the $7000 first-time buyers allowance).

I wouldn't generalise and say houses are cheaper than the UK, it depends on which locations you are comparing in the 2 countries, but I think you get more for your money. Given that it was costing 100K for a basic family home when we left Weston in January, you can get a very nice place for $250K in the "Greater Perth" area.

We certainly would have found it difficult to get on the property ladder in the UK, but are hoping to get a place of our own here in maybe 6 to 12 months time.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks
Merlot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.