Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone else emigrating broke?

anyone else emigrating broke?

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default Re: anyone else emigrating broke?

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi Stormz, we are going with nothing. We are shipping the furniture and our car and flying the dog. All the money we earn up to the point of leaving will pay for that, we will literally have £1000 in our pockets when we land. We have relatives to stay with when we land so atleast the little money we will have won't go on rent. We even have a 5 figure load that we have transferred to an international company so we can continue to pay it in Oz without occuring money transfer and exchange rates. How I see it is we can hang around here for a few more years and still not have a great deal of money or we can go now and try our damndest to make it work. We may have no cash but we have the determination, I'd gladly scrub toilets with a toothbrush if it get's us started! Anything to ensure our daughter (3yrs) has clothes on her back, food on her plate and a something to do, we will make it work for us.
Marie
Marie
Im really glad there are normal people going to Oz,nothing against the one's who have loads of cash to take,but everyone has a story to tell and for me being in my 40's with 2 kids,and little cash to take,it's going to be a hard road,but as you say Marie you'll do anything to put bread on the table...so i hope we all get that visa and make it happen...what ever that is
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Hi all like a lot of you we are paying everything off before we go, will have some capital from sale of house but not enough to buy outright.

We have 4 kids so feel more comfortable with a little pot of cash behind us will take the worry away, but fortunate to have job to got to.

Good luck to you all big or little pots!!!

Chris
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

were in the same boat, we have no house to sell ( yep damn council again!) and are trying like mad to save... :scared:
hope to have a min of £10,000
Trish
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:44 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
So what's wrong with poor and screwed
Even getting screwed these days costs you money

Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:45 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Merlot
Even getting screwed these days costs you money

Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:46 am
Merlot

But no Tesco points

Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:49 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Wink Re: anyone else emigrating broke?

Originally Posted by Stormz
We don`t have a house to sell or anything, so we`ll be arriving in Perth in June with $15k in an Oz bank account, and that`s basically it... and that will be eaten into to either pay for shipping our car over or buying another one.

At least we`ll be staying with the in-laws until I can get a decent job and then save up for a house of our own.

Most of you seem to be going with enough to set yourselves up in a house etc..... any other like us going to be starting all over again?
i. staying with the in-laws (saves neatly upto 150$'s per week)
ii. Perth with $15k (Thats toomuch baby to keep yourself and family running for 6 months with all conforts)
iii. shipping our car (minus 2K or whatever)...
Do you feel yourself broke then Boss then I will be moving totally bankrupt w/o having anyone in Oz..
You are better off then 50% population moving to Oz...
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:49 am
Phoenixuk2oz

But no Tesco points
No.....but you get yer bags packed for nowt..oooerr misses

Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:25 pm
Merlot

No.....but you get yer bags packed for nowt..oooerr misses
Best offer all day.

M

Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

most of our money wil be tied up in the government bond for 12 months, so we will be hoping for work sooner rather than later - shame!!

Weve even considered a visa validation trip and then move when we get our money back.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:34 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Im really glad there are normal people going to Oz,nothing against the one's who have loads of cash to take,but everyone has a story to tell and for me being in my 40's with 2 kids,and little cash to take,it's going to be a hard road,but as you say Marie you'll do anything to put bread on the table...so i hope we all get that visa and make it happen...what ever that is
Just had time to read this thread properly, I want to say I admire your guts to move over and take the new adventure by the horns so to speak.

Best of luck with it all. You will find that you will survive as you have to get out there and give it all you have to eat and put a roof over your head. It is VERY possible.

Merlot

Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:57 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Yeah. I`ll do whatever I can as well for our little girl and her impending brother/sister. It`s a pity my wife`s family aren`t in Sydney. I have 10 yrs digital tv transmission experience which is wasted anywhere but Sydney... where I could easliy get a job with Foxtel etc.

Instead I`m going to have to start from scratch again (no qualifications), and just hope to find a decent-paying job or something even better if anyone takes my pc/tv experience into account.

Would love to do website design and/or dvd authoring for a living but don`t feel there would be a huge market for either in Perth... but I`ll be going on courses to improve my knowledge to help me get as good a job as possible.

There was a great thread recently which listed reasonably paid unskilled jobs (postman etc), so will have that list to hand when I get back. They may have unsocial hours, but I`m used to that after doing this tv job for 10 years (12 hours, day or night shifts).

Good luck to all you fellow struggling people, and to all the ones who were wise enough to have a property just before the boom. See you in the sunshine!

68MEVY: what`s a 5 figure load?? Also, will you be paying some maoney to the relatives? We`ll be paying for food and board while we stay with the in-laws (even though they say we shouldn`t), but they`re pensioners and can`t just be supporting us. Being Aus citizens though we can get a decent amount of govt. help until I can get a half-decent job.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:13 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
Yeah. I`ll do whatever I can as well for our little girl and her impending brother/sister. It`s a pity my wife`s family aren`t in Sydney. I have 10 yrs digital tv transmission experience which is wasted anywhere but Sydney... where I could easliy get a job with Foxtel etc.

Instead I`m going to have to start from scratch again (no qualifications), and just hope to find a decent-paying job or something even better if anyone takes my pc/tv experience into account.

Would love to do website design and/or dvd authoring for a living but don`t feel there would be a huge market for either in Perth... but I`ll be going on courses to improve my knowledge to help me get as good a job as possible.

There was a great thread recently which listed reasonably paid unskilled jobs (postman etc), so will have that list to hand when I get back. They may have unsocial hours, but I`m used to that after doing this tv job for 10 years (12 hours, day or night shifts).

Good luck to all you fellow struggling people, and to all the ones who were wise enough to have a property just before the boom. See you in the sunshine!

68MEVY: what`s a 5 figure load?? Also, will you be paying some maoney to the relatives? We`ll be paying for food and board while we stay with the in-laws (even though they say we shouldn`t), but they`re pensioners and can`t just be supporting us. Being Aus citizens though we can get a decent amount of govt. help until I can get a half-decent job.
Sorry, must've hit the d by accident, a 5 figure loan is what I meant.
Staying with my in-laws won't cost us anything, hubbys mum would be offended if we insisted on paying, hubbys bro lived with us for over a year prior to migrating so he ( and now wifey too) won't take a penny off us, hubbys sis and hubby won't want anything but we'd probably contribute somehow. We're not 100% sure where we're going yet, we were going to sis-in-law on Sunshine Coast but might head for mum-in-law on Gold Coast which is also where bro-in-law is. Looks like there's more work available on Gold Coast so possibly a better statring point for us.
Marie
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:35 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Just had time to read this thread properly, I want to say I admire your guts to move over and take the new adventure by the horns so to speak.

Best of luck with it all. You will find that you will survive as you have to get out there and give it all you have to eat and put a roof over your head. It is VERY possible.

Merlot

Thanks for the k Merlot, I'll return when I've got another stash, I'm all out for today. What you wrote actually touched me. It's nice for someone to believe in us rather than tell us we're daft for going with nothing.
At the end of the day we could stay in Sheffield and never have much more, there's not much scope for us over here, or we emigrate to where we really want to be and give it our all. It's not like we've got nothing, like I've already said, our furniture is coming cos it'd cost more to replace than what we could sell it for, our dog is going cos we rescued her as a puppy and now she has a good life, we couldn't bear to get rid, she's only 2 and like having another child, also the car comes, my hubby has built it up from being a non runner to being in showroom condition and we'll need a car in Oz, atleast we know ours is reliable. We're shipping it to arrive as we do so we'll have it from not long afeter we get there to be able to have a good scout round at things.
Thanks again for your kind words, determination will get us there.
Marie
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Thanks for the k Merlot, I'll return when I've got another stash, I'm all out for today. What you wrote actually touched me. It's nice for someone to believe in us rather than tell us we're daft for going with nothing.
At the end of the day we could stay in Sheffield and never have much more, there's not much scope for us over here, or we emigrate to where we really want to be and give it our all. It's not like we've got nothing, like I've already said, our furniture is coming cos it'd cost more to replace than what we could sell it for, our dog is going cos we rescued her as a puppy and now she has a good life, we couldn't bear to get rid, she's only 2 and like having another child, also the car comes, my hubby has built it up from being a non runner to being in showroom condition and we'll need a car in Oz, atleast we know ours is reliable. We're shipping it to arrive as we do so we'll have it from not long afeter we get there to be able to have a good scout round at things.
Thanks again for your kind words, determination will get us there.
Marie

Good on ya! Good luck, im sure all things will go well and youll enjoy your new life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.