Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone else emigrating broke?

anyone else emigrating broke?

Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:58 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default anyone else emigrating broke?

We don`t have a house to sell or anything, so we`ll be arriving in Perth in June with $15k in an Oz bank account, and that`s basically it... and that will be eaten into to either pay for shipping our car over or buying another one.

At least we`ll be staying with the in-laws until I can get a decent job and then save up for a house of our own.

It`s bloody scary giving up a good job here and a country I (generally) love being in, for what we consider the best thing to do for our growing family.

Most of you seem to be going with enough to set yourselves up in a house etc..... any other like us going to be starting all over again?
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:11 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone else emigrating broke?

Originally Posted by Stormz
We don`t have a house to sell or anything, so we`ll be arriving in Perth in June with $15k in an Oz bank account, and that`s basically it... and that will be eaten into to either pay for shipping our car over or buying another one.

At least we`ll be staying with the in-laws until I can get a decent job and then save up for a house of our own.

It`s bloody scary giving up a good job here and a country I (generally) love being in, for what we consider the best thing to do for our growing family.

Most of you seem to be going with enough to set yourselves up in a house etc..... any other like us going to be starting all over again?

You can economise, don't ship your car for a start sell it here buy another in Oz. Surley the sale of the car here will fund one out there, albiet one not as nice but it's a start. I think you will be OK, you have a place to stay, which gives you a greatheads up on a lot of others who have no family out there, imagine the pain of turning up with just suitcases and some money??????

Well scary :scared:
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:33 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Well staying at the in laws will save you loads while you look for jobs then with money coming in you will be fine.

I to would and will be selling my car here then buy one in oz .
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:59 pm
Merlot

Did it in 1997 to Oz, did the same coming back to the UK in 2004, back on the bones of my bum and still here to tell the tale.

If you have simple tastes, enjoy life without the need for material possesions you will do just fine.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:46 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Yeah we`re pretty simple

Would love to sell the car here, but we`re not going to sell it for silly money.... would rather take it with us.... don`t want to give it away.

We have it on ebay now... just look for `amigastorm`.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:05 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hiya,
when we EVENTUALLY migrate we will be going with only what we have saved......barring any further redundancy/illness/car probs!!
we are currently working to clear debts etc here so that we can start afresh in aus, and dont have a house to sell (damn council!!).
we have 3 kids too!
you need a positive attitude, and as merlot said have simple tastes without the need for material possessions.

sue
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

were pretty much in the same boat,have a house to sell,but looking to clear everything we owe in the UK and start afresh,dont know how much we will take,have to also put the cars on ebay,but i suppose thats part of the fun moving to the other side of the world and trying to start again
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

We will pretty much be doing the same thing, we only have about £12,000 in our flat and want to save up a further £10.000 but we will have to rent as we know nobody over there :scared:
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Almost in same boat - have house to sell, but want to clear all debts, so will have some equity, but not as much as most on the forum seem to have. Will also be putting car & bike on eBay, plus will definately require a mortgage when we get to Oz.

It must be a Kent thing!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sonictigger
Almost in same boat - have house to sell, but want to clear all debts, so will have some equity, but not as much as most on the forum seem to have. Will also be putting car & bike on eBay, plus will definately require a mortgage when we get to Oz.

It must be a Kent thing!!!!
And Sussex...it sounds like the south crowd are the poor lot
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:58 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Steve2438
And Sussex...it sounds like the south crowd are the poor lot
And they say us Northerners are poor

Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:03 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
And they say us Northerners are poor

Northeners are poor its just the cost of living down south is higher.

Horses for courses, if you can make it on 10k then great the thing you need most is the b**LS to actually get up and do it. The last thing you want to do is regret not doing it. If you have the drive and energy to make a go of it, only a little cash will be suffice to get you started. I hope :scared:
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:22 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stormz, we are going with nothing. We are shipping the furniture and our car and flying the dog. All the money we earn up to the point of leaving will pay for that, we will literally have £1000 in our pockets when we land. We have relatives to stay with when we land so atleast the little money we will have won't go on rent. We even have a 5 figure load that we have transferred to an international company so we can continue to pay it in Oz without occuring money transfer and exchange rates. How I see it is we can hang around here for a few more years and still not have a great deal of money or we can go now and try our damndest to make it work. We may have no cash but we have the determination, I'd gladly scrub toilets with a toothbrush if it get's us started! Anything to ensure our daughter (3yrs) has clothes on her back, food on her plate and a something to do, we will make it work for us.
Marie
Marie
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:46 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Northeners are poor its just the cost of living down south is higher.
I'll tell that to my neighbours who have 1/4 million pound houses, 3 holidays overseas a year and a few prestige cars on the drive hey Not bad for Teesside.

Rather be poor and happy, than rich and screwed.

M

Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:52 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Merlot
Rather be poor and happy, than rich and screwed.

M
So what's wrong with poor and screwed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.