Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone done temping in Australia?

Anyone done temping in Australia?

Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone done temping in Australia?

I may have to look into this. I know the rates will be poor but as we're here on student visas I am finding it hard to get anyone to even acknowledge that I have sent them a CV yet alone offer me an interview.

I can't sit in the house doing nothing all day. I need to get out and about and meet people. Most of my wage will go on childcare so it's not even about the money - just the social side of things. Not sure about temping though as I have never done it before.

I am in WA if it differs from state to state.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

webb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nice
Talking Re: Anyone done temping in Australia?

Originally Posted by Kingseat
I may have to look into this. I know the rates will be poor but as we're here on student visas I am finding it hard to get anyone to even acknowledge that I have sent them a CV yet alone offer me an interview.

I can't sit in the house doing nothing all day. I need to get out and about and meet people. Most of my wage will go on childcare so it's not even about the money - just the social side of things. Not sure about temping though as I have never done it before.

I am in WA if it differs from state to state.
Hiya

I'm down in Bunbury WA, not sure about the temping as I've yet to get any work from the Agencies I've registered with. I'm in the same boat as you finding it frustrating when no-one even acknowledges your Resume let alone interviews you.

Why not try volunteering for a while see how you get on, it will get you out of the house and meeting new people, that's what I've done. I just registered with my local volunteering group and they had me look at a list of companies who were in need of volunteers and I chose one. You choose when you work and when you don't.

It does wonders for your morale and I've met loads of nice people all ages and from all walks of life

Hope this works for you, if not good luck with the temping

Ange
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done temping in Australia?

It depends on what skills you have and what area you're looking to temp in. I worked for an agency in Adelaide as both admin for the agency and occasional temp roles as a medical typist. Then when we moved to WA I worked temp/contract for about 2 years before finally getting a permanent position.

The rates aren't bad since you don't get holidays or sick leave that's factored into what you make upfront. As a medical typist for WA Health I was making ~ $25/hr. Private companies generally pay more but my experience is in healthcare and I don't do reception, so didn't want to work in doctors' rooms. Hospitals only for me.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It depends on what skills you have and what area you're looking to temp in. I worked for an agency in Adelaide as both admin for the agency and occasional temp roles as a medical typist. Then when we moved to WA I worked temp/contract for about 2 years before finally getting a permanent position.

The rates aren't bad since you don't get holidays or sick leave that's factored into what you make upfront. As a medical typist for WA Health I was making ~ $25/hr. Private companies generally pay more but my experience is in healthcare and I don't do reception, so didn't want to work in doctors' rooms. Hospitals only for me.
Thanks Dorothy.

To be honest I can turn my hand to everything! I have my own company in the UK which is renovations and rentals so I could do rentals. I've also worked for Accountants and Solicitors both in an admin/reception role and as a fee earner in taxation. I'll may be ring a few agencies later in the week. Thanks again.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Thanks Dorothy.

To be honest I can turn my hand to everything! I have my own company in the UK which is renovations and rentals so I could do rentals. I've also worked for Accountants and Solicitors both in an admin/reception role and as a fee earner in taxation. I'll may be ring a few agencies later in the week. Thanks again.
I was with Select Appointments in the city. They were really great about getting me the kind of roles I wanted. I think the name of my consultant was Emma, but honestly it's been 8 months since I left so I can't remember anymore.

If you take a medical terminology course (usually 1 day Saturday thing) and can type 60 wpm or more you will be in much more demand. There is a real shortage of quality medical typists in Perth. Good luck with your search.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you! Off to look that up now.