Reload this Page >

Anyone done it alone!

Anyone done it alone!

Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:21 am
Just Joined

AndyBoore is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone done it alone!

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell of their experiences of emmigrating alone. Did you find it hard? Did you meet people quickly? Do you regret it or love it?

Any help would be great, cheers!

Andy
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:55 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done it alone!

Originally Posted by AndyBoore
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell of their experiences of emmigrating alone. Did you find it hard? Did you meet people quickly? Do you regret it or love it?

Andy
I've spent time out here on my own and had an awsome time , you will just need to get your self out and do stuff to meet new people , get a job , find a local , go to gigs join clubs etc .
Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Andy
I am fortunate enough to be eigrating with my OH and i think the support we will give each other will be a real blessing. I did live for a few years in Africa and brazil, both times going out by myself. Both times i went alone into the unknown having never visited either country before and both times i had a fantastic experiance and made loads of new friends quickly and really loved the experiance. Occasionally the loss of friends and family at home would hit me and then i think a partner would be of great support. i also think as you get older it might become more important to have the support of someone else with you...
Hope it goes well, i am sure you won't regret it, as people say, you only get one chance at life, experiance it while you can
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

AndyBoore is on a distinguished road

Yeah I have been planning this with my fiance and we were hoping to go once she finished university next year. However now things have changed for the worst and not sure if we will still be together by this time. Just wondering if it was worth going alone. Starting from scratch! Am only 25 so I could start a new life over there!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I have been planning this with my fiance and we were hoping to go once she finished university next year. However now things have changed for the worst and not sure if we will still be together by this time. Just wondering if it was worth going alone. Starting from scratch! Am only 25 so I could start a new life over there!
at twenty five the world is your oyster ( although you may not think it at this present moment with your troubled relationship) Take it from an oldie, go for it, live fo rthe moment and have no regrets. Your young, nearly single and employable ( i presume.)

I am here by myself, and the tug of the faily back home is almost unbearable at times. If I had had my time over again.....
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:18 pm
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

I emigrated out here alone Andy, and don't regret it at all. You'll only meet people if you make the effort, though - they won't come to you on a plate. But there are plenty of organisations and groups to join which makes it much easier.

Go for it!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:27 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Andy
I did it on my own at the tender age of 33 - and I have no regrets. Initially I was going to come with my partner of the time, but things didn't work out, and now I'm actually glad that she didn't come. I have been my own master, which has been invaluable in settling down. You're not anwerable to anybody but yourself, which helps you to set the pace for your integration.

Things can seem a little hard and daunting to start with, but don't be put off. Do you have anybody here that you know already? If so then that's a great start, and a place to build on. Though in saying that, I rarely see anything of the people I knew here already.

Making friends is fairly easy, but you have to try really hard at it. Remember that people here already have established friendship groups, so they don't need to try. You have to make double the effort, and networking around people will help no end. Inevitably you will meet people you can't stand, but as you go on, you'll be able to work out who you keep as fiends and who you don't.

The one thing not to do is sit around at home moping, hoping that people will come to you. They won't you have to get up and get out there - join clubs, go to bars, go to meets (BE has been invaluable), Hang out with the people from work, organise drinks at your place for your workmates etc. If you adopt that approach, then you're sure to do well.

Good luck!

S
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

karm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Andy
hi andy
im going it alone im only 32,im thinking all have to do wen i get out there is join loads of clubs, find a job and so on you will be fine m8 dont worry
Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

jholgate is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy,

I spent a year working/travelling in Oz last year and it was amazing. I intially travelled with my brother but we spent half the time doing our thing. The most suprising thing about it was how easy it was to meet friends and feel at home.

Well, that was the perfect practice run and I am moving back to Sydney on Monday and have a sponsorship visa.... the pull was just too much. This time will be different and I'll be doing alone. It's very scary but so satisfying. Work is the best/easiest place to meet people and it is so much easier to meet people out and about over there.

Fingers crossed and no regrets.

Justine
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

Hi Andy

I went to New Zealand alone, worked and travelled whilst I was there. There were difficult times whilst settling in at work, but that could be said of any new workplace. Yes, there were days I missed family and friends, but I met heaps of new people and made many new friends. The whole experience was fab, also good for the soul. If I could do it all again, well....I am.