Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone did a driving test in Australia?

Anyone did a driving test in Australia?

Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of
Default Anyone did a driving test in Australia?

I need to be sitting for a road test in NSW in order to get a driving license. Though I've been driving overseas for 15+ years, I don't want to fail this test due to some silly mistakes. Anyone has got some tips for me? (P.S. my current non-UK license does not automatically convert in Australia, so I do need to take the tests).
Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:35 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone did a driving test in Australia?

Take a bus to your local Wollies.

Buy a packet of cornflakes and a scissors.

Cut out licence on the back.

Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rambi
Take a bus to your local Wollies.

Buy a packet of cornflakes and a scissors.

Cut out licence on the back.

Thanks Rambi, but I'm sure you can do better than this.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about booking a driving lesson? I know that you can drive already, but at least they'll be able to tell you any problem area's you may have.

I know the instructor I used to teach me did them for migrants that had to take the test to convert their licence.

I did the log book so can't really give you any tips as it's more a 'pass as you go' thing
Old Jul 29th 2011, 12:01 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
Thanks Rambi, but I'm sure you can do better than this.
Only kidding.

I did the computer test for the car and bike licence. The only tip I can give on that is to read the rules before hand. Especially if they contain things that you might not be used.

I did a full truck licence. Again read up on the rules for the written test. For the road test watch out for speed limit changes. Be aware of road work speed limits. Sometimes they "stop" when you turn a corner without a sign to say so.

Make yourself aware of any rule differences between where you came from and here. For example keep left not such a big thing here (compared to UK). Make sure your fully in your lane before cancelling indicator when changing lanes. Be aware of bad habits you may have picked up over time (e.g. hands on the steering wheel not the gear stick).
Old Jul 29th 2011, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Have you thought about booking a driving lesson? I know that you can drive already, but at least they'll be able to tell you any problem area's you may have.

I know the instructor I used to teach me did them for migrants that had to take the test to convert their licence.

I did the log book so can't really give you any tips as it's more a 'pass as you go' thing
Thanks Wendy! I think it might be worth taking a few lessons. If you are based in Sydney, could you perhaps PM me you instructor's contact details?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
Thanks Wendy! I think it might be worth taking a few lessons. If you are based in Sydney, could you perhaps PM me you instructor's contact details?
Sorry, I'm in Adelaide.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rambi
Only kidding.

I did the computer test for the car and bike licence. The only tip I can give on that is to read the rules before hand. Especially if they contain things that you might not be used.

I did a full truck licence. Again read up on the rules for the written test. For the road test watch out for speed limit changes. Be aware of road work speed limits. Sometimes they "stop" when you turn a corner without a sign to say so.

Make yourself aware of any rule differences between where you came from and here. For example keep left not such a big thing here (compared to UK). Make sure your fully in your lane before cancelling indicator when changing lanes. Be aware of bad habits you may have picked up over time (e.g. hands on the steering wheel not the gear stick).
Thanks again for the handy tips!
Old Jul 29th 2011, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

My wife also had a non convertible overseas license and had to retake her test.
Although she had a lot of experience in driving in her own country ( Indonesia) she ended up having quite a few lessons here to get up to scratch to local conditions. I consider driving in Jakarta as completely mental but she drives there without a problem, so it suprised me how flustered she became just driving in what in comparison is sedate old Melbourne. The reason is simply the incredible amount of rules and signage there is on western roads. So you have a hell of a lot of stuff going on apart from just driving a car.

My advice take some lessons until you feel comfortable.