Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone considered...........

anyone considered...........

Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:04 am
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold
Default anyone considered...........

not selling their house in this country, and keeping it as an asset or a sfety net to fall back on, and borrowing more money against it to get you set up out in oz ?

cheers steve
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all
Default Re: anyone considered...........

Originally Posted by hoops
not selling their house in this country, and keeping it as an asset or a sfety net to fall back on, and borrowing more money against it to get you set up out in oz ?

cheers steve
Hi Steve.
My missus maybe wants to keep our house here but I do not.We need an investment bond so would have to re-morgtage, this is not a problem and could be done quite easily in our own situation. The problem is renting. My freind moved to Spain 3 years ago and kept a house in the U.K He is only 3 hours away and he said it was a nightmare with the tennants and it was the last thing he needed when he was not in the U.K. Many rentals go fine and you can use an agent although they are not always worth a toss. The guaranteed income the rental agents talk of is usually an insurance policy taken out with someone else and they will do all they can not to pay if the tennant defaults.

It`s not all negative and matbe worth doing and I still might do this if we get in. BTW it`s also easier to come back if you have a house in the U.K and not give things a go in OZ - cheers and sorry for the essay James.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 11:05 am
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold

hi thanks for the opinion

its just something i have been mulling over for a while , i know things wont go pear shaped in oz and i am sure we will love it,

we may just do the rent thing for 1 year just to gain a bit more equity on the house

cheers steve
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:04 pm
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

cheers steve
Steve,
We've decided to keep the house here for a maximum of 12 to 18 months, renting it out, that way if the kids or the other half really can't settle there then we have a place to come back to, then when they do settle, we'll sell it, hopefully the housing prices would have gone back up making us a bit more money !!
I'm happy to sell now but she wants a safety net !!
It also helps that i have some HUGE friends that will ensure payments are made and the house isn't messed up.

Ali
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:14 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Steve,
We've decided to keep the house here for a maximum of 12 to 18 months, renting it out, that way if the kids or the other half really can't settle there then we have a place to come back to, then when they do settle, we'll sell it, hopefully the housing prices would have gone back up making us a bit more money !!
I'm happy to sell now but she wants a safety net !!
It also helps that i have some HUGE friends that will ensure payments are made and the house isn't messed up.

Ali
we rented my hubbies house out for over 5 years (we had a house each when we met). each tennant left the house a pigsty, including a great infestation of cats fleas, when the rental agreement stated 'no pets'!!!!. we had to spend money each time to redo the house to make it livable again to rent out. good job hubbie is a painter and decorator

2 lots of the tennants were people we knew, and they still had the house manky!

we used 2 different letting agents (again, the latter one, we knew!!), and things still didnt go the way we wanted.

in the end, we sold the house, more trouble than it was worth. poor hubbie made nothing on that house. if we had kept it, it would have been paid for now and a nice little nest egg. wish we had of done.

however, we have a friend, who has rented his house out to really good long term tennants. he has now got his nest egg.

just the luck of the draw which sort of tennats you get im afraid.

needless to say, we have been put off renting our house out.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:48 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

cheers steve
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...bix+remortgage

My advice - sell if you can.