Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone come close to not going??

Anyone come close to not going??

Old May 16th 2005, 8:15 am
SMC
Forum Regular

SMC is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone come close to not going??

Hi

Quick question has anyone gone through the whole process to be granted visas and then either come close to mnot going ar not gone at all?

Reason for question is I want to go yesterday! but my dear darling wife says she wants to go but dosen't want the process to take over our lives. When quized she says she will give it a go, kids want to go also.

Has anyone else had same experience and how did it turn out.

Thanks

SMC
Old May 16th 2005, 8:48 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone come close to not going??

Originally Posted by SMC
Hi

Quick question has anyone gone through the whole process to be granted visas and then either come close to mnot going ar not gone at all?

Reason for question is I want to go yesterday! but my dear darling wife says she wants to go but dosen't want the process to take over our lives. When quized she says she will give it a go, kids want to go also.

Thanks

SMC
Hi SMC,

What you're experiencing isn't unusual, I think when you listen to all the posts on here SMC, a lot have had the same feelings during the visa process, I certainly did. It's a huge step and I just wanted to be certain that I really wanted to do this, so I did change my mind a few times during the time we waited for our visa's(I think it's a women thing ). It had to be right for all five members of the family.

They lost my medicals and I thought I would have to do them again, I wanted to stop it there and then, we had waited over a year by then, I am a nurse I had heard from our agent that nurses took 6 months to process, however, we heard that it was just a mistake and we had been granted the visas. You will still go through these feelings the whole of the process, even when you are here. However, I still say we did the right thing, we are enjoying life and meeting new family-these are my husbands cousins ect the family have been here since 1929-and new friends. We probably have more friends and family here than we do in the UK, and we thought that we would be alone.

It's not easy, but well worth it in the long run .

Good luck with the move!

Marie
Old May 16th 2005, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

JAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SMC
Hi

Thanks

SMC
Good question.
I have not started process yet I feel nervous thinking about it.
Old May 16th 2005, 10:09 am

Sweet Chilli is on a distinguished road

We were issued our Visas 3 years ago and still haven't made the move. One minute we think it's a fantastic idea and the next we find the whole process completely daunting. We are constantly weighing up the pros and cons and always coming to the same conclusion. Sydney bound, financially we will be worse off than what we are now, but hopefully the benefits of an outdoor lifestyle and more of a social life will out-weigh this. We're still mulling it over, and 'yes' we're well aware that time is running out...
Old May 16th 2005, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SMC
Hi

Thanks

SMC

I nearly never came!! Long story though.
BTW also came from Pompey...used to work in Roebuck House, Cosham!
Old May 16th 2005, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all
Talking Re: Anyone come close to not going??

No not at all.

We are one of the pre-july folf so it's took us 13mths to get the visa, if anything the long wait has made it better cause we just can't wait to go, got a second viewing on Saturday so all we need to do is sell the house and we can go.

I think it's hard if you have family to leave behind but we dont have that problem so i guess that's why it's so easy for us and we really can't wait now to get to Brissy.

paula
Cheshire.
Old May 16th 2005, 11:35 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

We've had our visas for 16 months now. We had second thoughts around February.
We are now looking forward to the move (flights booked for this summer - currently waiting for the packers)), but there are still (minor) worries.

The only advice that I can offer is that it is a roller coaster. If you are feeling apprehensive today - you may well do for the next few weeks but then it suddenly clears! Similarly - your wife may have nerves today but it could be you next month.

Keep your eye on the broad picture and try not to let the 'froth' take over. (I also reckon that worries can be a good thing - makes you more prepared for difficulties)

BTW one of the things which helped us was getting hold of a couple of guide books on the area - Lonely planet, Insight guides etc. You then focus on the positives and less on the negatives.
Old May 16th 2005, 11:45 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's an excellent point. The fears and doubts are there because it's an enourmous move and a leap into the unknown - no matter how many times you've visited a place, living there is completely different.

Having second thoughts is natural, helps keep a sense of perspective and means that you're considering it properly and not just brushing aside concerns with a 'we'll be right' kinda attitude (that develops once you arrive ). Plus, if you're re-visiting your reasons for going it means you're keeping them relevant to where you're at now - which might be a completely different place to where you were when the visa was applied for.

All part of the process.

GG

[QUOTE=NKSK] Keep your eye on the broad picture and try not to let the 'froth' take over. (I also reckon that worries can be a good thing - makes you more prepared for difficulties) [QUOTE]
Old May 16th 2005, 12:26 pm
SMC
Forum Regular

SMC is on a distinguished road

Hi

Thanks for all the comments.

Any more would be great.

Simon
Old May 16th 2005, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

hunser is on a distinguished road

Simon

My two pennies worth is that I swing one way then the next literally from day to day. I've lived and worked in Melbourne for a year before on the back of WHV, then 457, so think I know much of what to expect and all the good things to go back for. But then my life is pretty fulfilling here at the mo too and there are definitely things that I'll miss.

So I've just sent my app off to DIMIA as I don't think I'll really make my mind up until the visa is in the passport and the possibility of moving is truly real again. That then gives you another 3 years at least to really make your mind up if you need it, with the added bonus of an excuse for a holiday down under to validate if you decide to wait.

The processing fee is a worthwhile investment in my book to get me to that decision point though I understand that may not be the case for everyone

Cheers, Paul
Old May 16th 2005, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

hi there,we've had our visas for two and a half years now and are setting
off to perth in the next couple of months,over the past couple of years
we have had mixed emotions about going, i think if your fortunate
to get your pr visa you have to at least give it a go you can always come
back and at least you tried it.
the good thing about having your visa for a few years is that you have
plenty of time to plan ahead and more importantly, relocate when you feel
the time is right,it's a massive undertaking and it always amazes me when
i read about people who get their visa and fly out within a month or two
later,incredibly brave.
martin
Old May 16th 2005, 5:09 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fitz
later,incredibly brave.
martin
Sorry - having another shot. I agree about the point of at least giving it a go. There have been a number of threads about whether Australia is the 'right thing to do'. Once you have the visa though, my view is that you do owe it to yourself and to your family to at least try it.

If you plan things out well it doesn't have to be a one way ticket. By hanging on to the house here (and only buying in Australia when you are really certain), by saying to family that you will be going in the first instance for two years only etc, it all becomes very much more doable. OK, for the real risk takers this approach will be anathema but for me, I always need a Plan B. You may find that this approach helps with your relationships - people who have feelings for you will apreciate knowing that you may be back in two years.

It will still cost you - a career step back (in my case 3 steps back), and the cost of sending your possessions backwards and forwards. But to me this is a price that is worth paying so that you can say "Tried it. Wasn't for me" or avoid the regret in 20 years - "Wonder if we could have made it?"
Old May 16th 2005, 5:10 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fitz
later,incredibly brave.
martin

That's what we intend to do. Try making us wait. The second we get an ok we will book our flights. Then organise selling house etc.

Anne
Old May 16th 2005, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
That's what we intend to do. Try making us wait. The second we get an ok we will book our flights. Then organise selling house etc.

Anne
surely it would be better to sell the house first and then arrange flights,
you don't want to be moving without the house being sold surely? plus the
collateral from the sale of house helps with move
Old May 16th 2005, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SMC
Hi

Thanks

SMC

Hi there

Hey there neighbour, we are from Waterlooville!!

We have started the process (currently awaiting assessment results) and are committed to the idea, but recently I have been reading some negative stuff about Oz and it has made me wonder about the move. Then, like today, I am completely obsessed and spend literally all day gleaning as much as I can about the Oz way of life. I am kind of scared that this is like a big project and am not going to know what to do with myself when I get there!! I am starting to lose sleep because my mind is reeling about leaving family, will the children be okay in their new schools, should I go back to work, will our quality of life really be better, will we be okay financially etc. etc. Then I try to think about why we are choosing to leave the UK and I feel a bit calmer. I think it is harder now that the weather is warming up because when it is really horrible and cold, you just can't wait to leave. It is a minefield of choices and decisions and it doesn't look set to get any better (for me anyway).

Hope you find it all a bit easier.

Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.