Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone in brisbane

Wikiposts

anyone in brisbane

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 11:56 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
Yeah they got really hostile in Coles when I tried paying for the kids beans with sand.

Still no doubt you will go on to tell us how to feed a family of four on Sand fritters, and Pelican steaks caught from home made spears of driftwood.

Sun 365, join the commune now. Just off to dry some seawead to go with me freshly caught seagull, then I must wash the kids school gear whipped up from washed up whale skins.

Live the dream, Sun 365.

What....may i ask is wrong with somone wanting to live in a town because they like the beach there?
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 12:20 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
What....may i ask is wrong with somone wanting to live in a town because they like the beach there?
Nothing..... if they are loaded and the only thing in the world that matters to them is the beach. Which is what the post in question inferred.

I am always amazed to hear that some people do actually decide on quite important things based on single emotive factors, that are not necessarily that obvious to others who take a more logical approach.

So yes, some people might decide to live somewhere based solely on loving the beach. Don't know how successful this decision making method is though?
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 12:48 am
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

can anyone give me an honest idea of how viable it is to commute from Caloundra to CBD. I know there's no train service to speak of but I spoke to a lot of people their who do it by car, and got varying responses about the time it takes and how easy it is. Dotty?

Thanks

Andy
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Bobbi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
Do you want to join "Aus has Sun, beaches and big 'ouses" party or what? lol we have sun

Personally I agree with you about Cardiff.. it is a slum. Not a lot of other welsh people in Wales (non cardiff people) like Cardiff. I wouldn't live in places like London, and I cerainly wouldn't live in Cardiff either.

Cheers

Well as far as beaches go, then Cardiff isnt even in the running (you cant really count our bits of coast as beaches) but I think it's a bit unfair to call it "a slum".

Cardiff has a great city centre, what about the Millennium Stadium and the museum? Not to mention the lovely City Hall and its buildings? Sorry, this thread is about Brisbane Iknow but i had to defend my city didn't I?

Bobbi
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan
can anyone give me an honest idea of how viable it is to commute from Caloundra to CBD. I know there's no train service to speak of but I spoke to a lot of people their who do it by car, and got varying responses about the time it takes and how easy it is. Dotty?

Thanks

Andy
I would allow at least 1.5 hours if the traffic is flowing freely. Did it last week at 6am and even then it took all of that. By 7.30 it would really get heavy once you reach the outskirts of Brisbane.

You could drive to Caboolture and pick up the train but hell thats a lot of messing around.

Many many people do do the drive. Personally I dont like it, and the traffic is heavy.

What do you do jobwise, is it a Brisbane only thing?
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan

Thanks

Andy
It's about 100Kms and at the speed limit all the way it would take you 1 hour (about what it takes me out of rush hour). They are throwing houseing estates up like their is no tomorrow north of Brisbane, and all these commuters to get to CBD have to use the same road you have to. Once you get to within 15kms of CBD the motorway stops and turns into 3/4 (in each direction) lane road with traffic lights every 1 kms or more.
I've never done it in rush hour and wouldn't want to, but I'd say allow 2 hours on average. I def don't consider SC commuter distance to CBD.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:12 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Bobbi
Well as far as beaches go, then Cardiff isnt even in the running (you cant really count our bits of coast as beaches) but I think it's a bit unfair to call it "a slum".

Cardiff has a great city centre, what about the Millennium Stadium and the museum? Not to mention the lovely City Hall and its buildings? Sorry, this thread is about Brisbane Iknow but i had to defend my city didn't I?

Bobbi
ohhh Caer... diff
"Hello butty, 'ows it goin' then?"
Hear wales has beaten the scots last weekend... we must be on the up. (well we can't go any further down can we. lol )... today the scots... tomorrow the world................ lol

I don't blame you in the slightest for defending your wonderful city - Do you want some help? lol (just joking)

Cymru Am Byth
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:53 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Dotty, my job is teaching IT, but I'm not neccesarily planning to stay in that field. I'm actually not that bothered about what I do as long as I can pay the bills and keep a roof over our heads, If I do continue doing it I've always assumed I would have to commute, although I have been in touch with a training company in Nambour who sai they may have some work for me. thanks for the info

Andy

Originally posted by dotty
I would allow at least 1.5 hours if the traffic is flowing freely. Did it last week at 6am and even then it took all of that. By 7.30 it would really get heavy once you reach the outskirts of Brisbane.

You could drive to Caboolture and pick up the train but hell thats a lot of messing around.

Many many people do do the drive. Personally I dont like it, and the traffic is heavy.

What do you do jobwise, is it a Brisbane only thing?