Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone in brisbane

Wikiposts

anyone in brisbane

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:15 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I'm on the south side and I'd consider Manley, Victoria Point and a few others down that way comparable to the typical English beaches that Brits would go ga ga over it they were in UK, but down here I don't rate them at all. The ones on the N side would be Sandgate and Redcliffe.
The closest English beach to all these would be Swanage, some of the beaches people rave over in Devon and Cornwall are crap compared to these close Brisbane beaches made up of just pebbles or rocks instead of sand.
I agree GC and SC aren't part of Brisbane and SC is too far to commute and GC for hardened commuters to Brisbane only.

I also agree some parts of Wales are beautifullty but when did you last visit the Valleys (Rhonda, Merthyr, Ebb, etc). Also the beach at Swansea is nothing to write home about last time I saw it.
You are joking aren't you.. manly.. where's the beach in Manly, it has a rock wall, a harbour and a very small patch of sand running along the front, and also behind the Yacht club - which they have blocked off.

Redcliffe ..lol that has a small beaches.. I wouldn't call them beaches myself, very shallow. gravely and sand

Try Gower not swansea ..lol

Tell me where are the rocks, or hoards of people in this pic (you'll notice it is hight of summer by the way, I'm in shorts and have a bit of a tan.. so it's not winter when there are less people on a beach).. if I didn't tell anyone this was in Gower, I could lie and tell them.. look it's Aus, not a person on the beach.

Get real. Brisbane itself is very ugly. Do you want me to take a photo next time I'm down Luggage point of the real Brisbane river?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails anyone in brisbane-llangenith.1jpg.jpg  
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ceri
You are joking aren't you.. manly.. where's the beach in Manly, it has a rock wall, a harbour and a very small patch of sand running along the front, and also behind the Yacht club - which they have blocked off.

Redcliffe ..lol that has a small beaches.. I wouldn't call them beaches myself, very shallow. gravely and sand

Try Gower not swansea ..lol

Tell me where are the rocks, or hoards of people in this pic (you'll notice it is hight of summer by the way, I'm in shorts and have a bit of a tan.. so it's not winter when there are less people on a beach).. if I didn't tell anyone this was in Gower, I could lie and tell them.. look it's Aus, not a person on the beach.

Get real. Brisbane itself is very ugly. Do you want me to take a photo next time I'm down Luggage point of the real Brisbane river?

Cheers
The point I'm trying to make is that the beaches around Brisbane are mediocre at best but if say the Redcliffe beach (south towards the point where they have put the new promanade) was in the Uk it would be a MAJOR tourist attraction in UK in the summer.

My example of Swansea beach is comparable too the Brisbane beaches and the Gower is comparable to the GC or SC beaches. Except here we have sunshine 365 days a year and the water temp is always about 20C or above. The UK has some fantastic scenery, but it dosn't have the weather to do it justice IMHO.

Their are some great places in the UK to visit, but no one in their right mind would go to the Uk for a BEACH holiday.

As for Brisbane being ugly it's no worse than say Swansea or Cardiff and it's def not a dirty slum like a few places I've seen in the UK.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:52 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Except here we have sunshine 365 days a year and the water temp is always about 20C or above.
Do you want to join "Aus has Sun, beaches and big 'ouses" party or what? lol we have sun

Personally I agree with you about Cardiff.. it is a slum. Not a lot of other welsh people in Wales (non cardiff people) like Cardiff. I wouldn't live in places like London, and I cerainly wouldn't live in Cardiff either.

Cheers
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

My example of Swansea beach is comparable too the Brisbane beaches and the Gower is comparable to the GC or SC beaches. Except here we have sunshine 365 days a year and the water temp is always about 20C or above. The UK has some fantastic scenery, but it dosn't have the weather to do it justice IMHO.
Sun 365, come on Paul, we get sub tropical rain quite often, sure not as often as Sun but when it rains it belts down, our creek goes up 5 foot in 10 minutes, the water coming over the waterfally sounds like thunder. Now I love that type of rain, so I am not knocking it, but hell its not Sun 365 tho.

'Sexing up OZ' award of the day to Paul

Dont get all stroppy now just trying to inject some fun into this dull old site
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ceri
Do you want to join "Aus has Sun, beaches and big 'ouses" party or what? lol we have sun

Personally I agree with you about Cardiff.. it is a slum. Not a lot of other welsh people in Wales (non cardiff people) like Cardiff. I wouldn't live in places like London, and I cerainly wouldn't live in Cardiff either.

Cheers
But you cannot deny that Aus does have Sun, beaches and Big "ouses" (seem to recall that even you have one) so whats wrong with that.

Ah so you are admitting that their is a corner of Wales (Cardiff), that you would not defend to the death, and take on all comers for casting a slurr on your beloved homeland.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dotty
Sun 365, come on Paul, we get sub tropical rain quite often, sure not as often as Sun but when it rains it belts down, our creek goes up 5 foot in 10 minutes, the water coming over the waterfally sounds like thunder. Now I love that type of rain, so I am not knocking it, but hell its not Sun 365 tho.

Not sexing anything up, just telling it like it is, if you don't like sunshine every day don't come to QLD.
Seems you have forgotten the recent drought, when it didn't rain at ALL for at least 12 months (or did I imagine that), and also when it rains it really buckets it down, but generally it only lasts an hour or so and then sun comes back out.

I think you would be hard pressed to recall a day when the sun didn't shine at all (mind you last couple of weekends have been a bit overcast at times) in all the years you have been here.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:15 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

But you cannot deny that Aus does have Sun, beaches and Big "ouses" (seem to recall that even you have one) so whats wrong with that.

Ah so you are admitting that their is a corner of Wales (Cardiff), that you would not defend to the death, and take on all comers for casting a slurr on your beloved homeland.
You'd be hard pushed to find someone from Swansea and Gower who likes Cardiff... cardiff should be in England somewhere .. Caer... diff , that's the accent some of the locals have there... two syllables. People from the Swansea area think Swansea should be the real capital of Wales.. lol... no love lost between cardiff and swansea people.

Cheers
BO party ... sun, sun and more sun
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:17 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

He's the Axis of Evil!

cheers

P.S .. I think he's actually Howard Jones myself "I won't let the sun go down on me"..

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 2nd 2003 at 4:20 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not sexing anything up, just telling it like it is, if you don't like sunshine every day don't come to QLD.
Seems you have forgotten the recent drought, when it didn't rain at ALL for at least 12 months (or did I imagine that), and also when it rains it really buckets it down, but generally it only lasts an hour or so and then sun comes back out.

I think you would be hard pressed to recall a day when the sun didn't shine at all (mind you last couple of weekends have been a bit overcast at times) in all the years you have been here.
You have lost the plot, I have seen rain here for 3 weeks on end. Often. Whats the annual rainfall???? No rain em.

Do you have shares in QLD Tourism?????????

'Sexing up OZ award twice in one day'
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

You have lost the plot, I have seen rain here for 3 weeks on end. Often. Whats the annual rainfall???? No rain em.

Do you have shares in QLD Tourism?????????

'Sexing up OZ award twice in one day'
We visited Cairns recently for a week, for 3 days we had rain like I've never seen, it was relentless, non stop, no break, soggy, humid..... We were told that it could rain like that week after week, hence the rain forest !!!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:34 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I remember last summer (when we arrived) and had lots of 'nice' hot sunny weather (I know it was mild compared to previous year) then just as we were passing the 'honeymoon' period it rained solidly for three weeks with overcast grey skies and temps still in mid to high twenties. How depressing it was going to work in the morning with grey skies, umbrella up and still sweating.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Never said it didn't rain, but I've been here 3 years now and I've never yet seen it rain continuously for more than a couple of hours but then that day it dropped about 12 inches in a few hours and we had floods everywhere.

Worst floods I've seen were about 2 years ago when the Clarence river burst it's banks and flooded 1,000 kms of land in northern NSW, and cut all roads south. Wasn't in QLD at the time but was trying to drive back from Sydney and roads were in chaos.
I don't apologise for liking sunshine and beaches, if you prefer the cold and wet thats fine by me.

Be a very boring world ifwe all liked the same thing:scared: :scared:
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Is Brisbane classed as tropical or sub-tropical?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kath
Is Brisbane classed as tropical or sub-tropical?
Only Sub tropical.

Winter is not humid at all, lovely time, worst bits are Nov to March.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:43 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

Yeah, but that's Tropical North Queensland for you. What did you expect (though strangely enough it's the DRY right now)? Probably some strange end of El Niño beginning of La Niña effect!!!!

Well, when I first arrived in Brisvegas, I had almost 17 months without daytime rain, plenty of evening storms that lasted for a few hours, but nothing during the day. It has been pretty wet since March tho, with a period of almost 3 days of straight rain (okay, I kid, more like almost 3 weeks)!!!

brisnick

Originally posted by Kath
We visited Cairns recently for a week, for 3 days we had rain like I've never seen, it was relentless, non stop, no break, soggy, humid..... We were told that it could rain like that week after week, hence the rain forest !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.