British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone with a big house with a pool?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-big-house-pool-525386/)

Timber Floor Au Mar 30th 2008 11:13 am

Re: Anyone with a big house with a pool??

Big House
Big Pool ( 120,000 litre ) marvellous !!
Big Yard
Big Mortgage

Not sure what you really wanna know.

However.... if its to find out if intrinsically you can buy more here for your good old english pound... erm.. not really.

If anything Australia, is much more expensive than the uk.

In Brisbane, I would say, the average house price is now, higher than that within the uk.
Wages are lower by comparison.
Fuel is cheaper, but then we do more miles/k's
Utility bills are somewhat cheaper.
Houses are larger.. but thats just a male ego thing, ask VIM, he has a HUGE one ;)

Food is more expensive, beer is about the same, if not a a tad more expensive...

weird... how we make it stretch.. but dont for one minute think Oz is cheap, or a more lucrative proposition than Uk, you will sadly feel betrayed, by pommy propoganda !

Ste

EvannTel Mar 30th 2008 11:35 am

I think, as others have said, it depends on where in Aus vs where in UK.

I left UK, Kent/Surrey border 30 mins from central London. Now nr Bunbury WA. The house we have here (4 x 2, pool, 4000sqm) would be more than double in that part of UK.

jensteve Mar 30th 2008 11:58 am

I have a pool and water is no problem with us. I have a solar blanket on it, which stops water from evaporating and keeps the chemicals in so well worth the cost. My water bills are generally no more than $50 a quarter for usage. I have had to top it up this week as forgot to put the blanket back on must have had to put about 3 inches worth in but generally only have to do that every 4 weeks.
Jenny

EvannTel Mar 30th 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by jensteve (Post 6131869)
I have a pool and water is no problem with us. I have a solar blanket on it, which stops water from evaporating and keeps the chemicals in so well worth the cost. My water bills are generally no more than $50 a quarter for usage. I have had to top it up this week as forgot to put the blanket back on must have had to put about 3 inches worth in but generally only have to do that every 4 weeks.
Jenny

Yeah good point. A good blanket is a must. I was convinced, especially considering the cost, but they do save loads on water and chemicals. And get the pool very hot too - we got ours up to 36C in Feb! Pass the soap!

jensteve Mar 30th 2008 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by EvannTel (Post 6131914)
Yeah good point. A good blanket is a must. I was convinced, especially considering the cost, but they do save loads on water and chemicals. And get the pool very hot too - we got ours up to 36C in Feb! Pass the soap!

Its like swimming in warm tea and we have the solar heating as well!
Jenny

mr mover Mar 30th 2008 12:51 pm

[QUOTE=Timber Floor Au;6131682]Big House

Must be a big pool , mines 30ft x 12 x6 at the deep end and holds 62,000 ltrs ??..............mm;)

Amazulu Mar 30th 2008 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by laguna33p (Post 6129881)
With property much affordable and getting more for your money in Oz, what exactly does the aussie dollar buy? Are the household bills similar to those in the UK? And can those pools be filled with the water restrictions?

5x2 double storey, with a pool on half an acre in the Perth Hills: $800-1m - probably less than the UK. Cost of livng similar to UK although groceries are much more expensive here. Utilities are less although there is no unmetered water. Salary double the UK. Tax higher.

EvannTel Mar 30th 2008 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 6132528)
Cost of livng similar to UK although groceries are much more expensive here. Utilities are less although there is no unmetered water. Salary double the UK. Tax higher.

Interesting thoughts. Not sure I agree. Groceries - some more, some less. Not much difference. Elec much more expensive, but then bigger house, pool etc.
Salaries some more some about the same. Tax more? Not sure when you consider NI contributions as well plus you can claim so much on tax here.

I guess everyones experience is different depending on what and where you have come.

Bottom line my feelings are cost of living about the same, maybe a bit more. Housing - loads more for your money.

Stitch Mar 30th 2008 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 6131682)
Big House
Big Yard
Big Mortgage

However.... if its to find out if intrinsically you can buy more here for your good old english pound... erm.. not really.

In Brisbane, I would say, the average house price is now, higher than that within the uk.
Houses are larger.. but thats just a male ego thing, ask VIM, he has a HUGE one ;)

Food is more expensive, beer is about the same, if not a a tad more expensive...

weird... how we make it stretch.. but dont for one minute think Oz is cheap, or a more lucrative proposition than Uk, you will sadly feel betrayed, by pommy propoganda !

Ste

I truely agree here on this one. There are a few on here where money doesn't matter but for the rest of us.....ouch!

Cheers

Ginny

hoofie2002 Mar 30th 2008 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 6130971)
Did you write manuals too?

:rofl:

Amazulu Mar 31st 2008 12:02 am

Originally Posted by EvannTel (Post 6132557)
Interesting thoughts. Not sure I agree. Groceries - some more, some less. Not much difference. Elec much more expensive, but then bigger house, pool etc.
Salaries some more some about the same. Tax more? Not sure when you consider NI contributions as well plus you can claim so much on tax here.

I guess everyones experience is different depending on what and where you have come.

Bottom line my feelings are cost of living about the same, maybe a bit more. Housing - loads more for your money.

COL roughly the same. Groceries definitely more here. I personally pay a lot more tax here but I also earn a lot more so it's not a problem.

Brisben Mar 31st 2008 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 6131682)
Big House
Big Yard
Big Mortgage

Ste

I have the same, big house nice pool big yard etc, however big mortgage to go with it.

Your right it is expensive here, I have far less disposable income, mainly due to a big mortgage, the balance is that it costs less to entertain yourself and the children here.

Overall I have a better lifestyle here with less spare money.:confused:

Timber Floor Au Mar 31st 2008 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Brisben (Post 6134411)
I have the same, big house nice pool big yard etc, however big mortgage to go with it.

Your right it is expensive here, I have far less disposable income, mainly due to a big mortgage, the balance is that it costs less to entertain yourself and the children here.

Overall I have a better lifestyle here with less spare money.:confused:

Totally Agree with that :thumbup:

gillysm Mar 31st 2008 11:18 pm

Pretty big house on 1 1/2 acres, pool - value is the same as the house we used to live in in south of England (which was 3 bed mid terrace) so it really does depend on where you're from and where you're going.
Hard for me to compare food, cars etc as we've been here a while but I've alwasy found you don't need much money to enjoy life here. I love the beach and I love walking my dogs, Brisbane & Sunshine Coast also put on some fantastic things for free.

Wol Apr 1st 2008 3:05 am

>>Anyone with a big house with a pool??<<

No, medium size house and no pool!

The biggest problem round here is keeping pools from freezing solid in winter, with the attendant problems of cracking and burst pipes - thus no desire to have one....

However - just up the road is an English retired couple who've just had a house built by our builder and they insisted on having a pool. Builder washed his hands of it & said it's entirely their problem! We are waiting with bated breath to see how it all turns out: their pool is only 20' from their living room windows and about 6' above them. Watch this space....