Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to the Leeds Expo before???

Anyone been to the Leeds Expo before???

Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

the_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nice
Talking Anyone been to the Leeds Expo before???

We are thinking of going to the Leeds JobExpo on 18th October and wondered if anyone else had been before. Was it in your opinion worth going for? What was there?? If anyones going on the 18th, do you fancy meeting up??

jo
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone been to the Leeds Expo before???

We are looking at going. We have'nt booked yet but I understand you can still get in on the day. Happy to catch up though if we decide to go.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:03 pm
ann
Forum Regular

ann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really nice

Originally Posted by the_nanny_uk2
We are thinking of going to the Leeds JobExpo on 18th October and wondered if anyone else had been before. Was it in your opinion worth going for? What was there?? If anyones going on the 18th, do you fancy meeting up??

jo
Hi Jo,

I went in April. It depends what you want out of it, to be honest i walked round twice and was handed loads of freebies, will never be short of a pen ever again!

After elbowing my way through the crowds of early morning visitors I spoke to the South Australian goverment and immi people, they where fantastic. They answered about 100+ questions and basically i felt alot more at ease about the full process. They have even rang twice to check on my progress!! which was a fantastic buz on a Monday morning!!

All in all go, but don't take kids of they are lightly to be squashed, unless in a buggy which is a great tool to barge to the front of Q's!!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

We have our tickets to go and are traelling from Germany, so have booked accomadation near by. I think it will be well worth it, as it looks like we need sponsorship so are hoping to get some interest from either state or employers. Looking forward to it.
Mandy
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

steph82 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went back in April also. There were lots of different companies there, unfortunately none offering jobs in either my or my husbands line of work. We did get info on removal companies and we spoke to a guy from a 'Fast Track Oz' stand and gave him all our details. He was going to have a look into a few things for us but we never heard back so thought nothing of it. But then about 3 months later my husband had a call from a guy in Perth to give him a telephone interview (he had been given his details from the fast track guy) and he now has a job waiting for him in Perth.

So i would definately try it!!!!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_nanny_uk2

jo
If they line of work you wish to go into have a stall there then you can get answers from the horses mouth. Otherwise it's hot and crowded and you get people offering you freebies to get you to use their services. We're not taking our kids this time as wasn't good for them. We went two years ago and didn't get much from it apart from a few pens and a false promise from an employment agency. Found other people there willing to trample over anything or one who got in there way, wasn't an enjoyable experience.
We're going this year to see a seminar and will spend very little time wandering around We'll be there on the 18th and my OH has an interview on the 20th for a job in WA.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Ive heard rumours that you can open banks accounts at these kind of events - can anyone verify if this is correct or not?

Opening a bank account in the UK would be a huge weight of my mind knowing that i could transfer money across before arriving so would have instant acess when arrive.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Not been before but am going next week - what time does it start - I dont want to be trampled on????? Also something quite irrelevant but how do you put those little slogan things at the bottom - you know when you say things like Visa lodged blah blah date
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
Not been before but am going next week - what time does it start - I dont want to be trampled on????? Also something quite irrelevant but how do you put those little slogan things at the bottom - you know when you say things like Visa lodged blah blah date
Click on 'my profile' at the top left hand side of the page, then under 'settings and options' - click on add, if new, signature (or edit if already have one).
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Oz Dreaming is on a distinguished road

Me and my OH went to the April one this year and to be honest felt it was a waste of time and money. We were very keen to go having viewed the website however reality was very different to the website. Very few stands. If looking for a job unless your a Civil engineer, Nurse or wanting a job at woolworths (not linked to UK woolworths its like oz tesco ) you will be disappointed. The local government stands from SA and Victoria were good but very busy (No NSW or QA).

There were 2 money exchange stands moneycorp and Hifex (i think) which looked ok but you can get the same info from this and their sites.

1 bank there where you can open a bank account but again if you look on this site there is plenty of info on opening oz bank accounts when in the UK.

There was no department of immigration stand so asked Fast Track Oz some questions although i seemed to know more than the guy i was asking. Think they just want to get your details so they can follow up on it.

Transport company stand was good but again only 2 stands there Pickfords and another.

Overall wished we hadnt spent 2 hrs driving down there, maybe we were expecting too much from it but i think their website is misleading.

I think there are other threads on this site with similar experiences to us.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oz Dreaming
Me and my OH went to the April one this year and to be honest felt it was a waste of time and money. We were very keen to go having viewed the website however reality was very different to the website. Very few stands. If looking for a job unless your a Civil engineer, Nurse or wanting a job at woolworths (not linked to UK woolworths its like oz tesco ) you will be disappointed. The local government stands from SA and Victoria were good but very busy (No NSW or QA).

There were 2 money exchange stands moneycorp and Hifex (i think) which looked ok but you can get the same info from this and their sites.

1 bank there where you can open a bank account but again if you look on this site there is plenty of info on opening oz bank accounts when in the UK.

There was no department of immigration stand so asked Fast Track Oz some questions although i seemed to know more than the guy i was asking. Think they just want to get your details so they can follow up on it.

Transport company stand was good but again only 2 stands there Pickfords and another.

Overall wished we hadnt spent 2 hrs driving down there, maybe we were expecting too much from it but i think their website is misleading.

Thanks for your insight. I was unsure as to whether I should go or not (I already have a job so I wouldn't have been going as a job hunting exercise). Based on your info above, I think i'll give it a miss! Just saved myself £18 so thanks!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Oz Dreaming

Me and the OH went in April too and I think you've summed it up pretty well.

I did get an interview with Woolworth so it wasn't a waste of time but all in all we had found out more info for ourselves from places like here than we learned at the expo.

The victoria presentation was pretty good but again pretty basic.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:02 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

We went in April and its was a waste of time, harldy any stalls worthwhile unless your a nurse or engineer oh and a few removal firms too.
Went to the SA pp.presentation with was great, when it came to the end of the ppp poeple formed a queue to ask questions the guy at the front with mic questions....he knew jack sh!t! i knew more (just from reading on here) then him! His info was way outta date and when it was my turn he coundnt really answer my questions
Thank god for BE

He was gorge though, a lovely Adelaidian lad.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:03 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharleneG
Me and the OH went in April too and I think you've summed it up pretty well.

I did get an interview with Woolworth so it wasn't a waste of time but all in all we had found out more info for ourselves from places like here than we learned at the expo.

The victoria presentation was pretty good but again pretty basic.
Ditto
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Ive heard rumours that you can open banks accounts at these kind of events - can anyone verify if this is correct or not?

Opening a bank account in the UK would be a huge weight of my mind knowing that i could transfer money across before arriving so would have instant acess when arrive.
You can do this online with Westpac. Was quite easy. Had our account set up 6 months before we moved. They charged us $5 a month for the privilege, but it was good to tick something off the list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.