Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Originally Posted by Katherined0
I dont understand why it takes 8 days in the UK and you can track it online, and yet out here even the bloody information line cant track it!!!
Because it's the responsibility of the Foreign Office, not the Home Office.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Because it's the responsibility of the Foreign Office, not the Home Office.
It's just so frustrating. I'm not asking for a magic wand -- just for some information! TBH I dont care whether it's the Home Office or the Foreign Office I just wish they could give me some info about how likely it is to be issued in the next couple of days.

When I first looked at the web site they said they were processing in 4weeks -- now the website info has changed to WITHIN 30 working days and the guy today said a MINIMUM of 30 days. If they'd provided accuarate information I wouldnt have tried to get it done in the time frame I had. It just all feels very inefficient for such an expensive service......
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's just so frustrating. I'm not asking for a magic wand -- just for some information! TBH I dont care whether it's the Home Office or the Foreign Office I just wish they could give me some info about how likely it is to be issued in the next couple of days.
Nothing will change until sufficient numbers of letters of complaint start arriving on the desks of MPs at Westminster (are you an overseas elector?).

Then maybe there will be some questions asked about how British missions overseas are getting away with offering a service that is much worse than what is available in the U.K.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Nothing will change until sufficient numbers of letters of complaint start arriving on the desks of MPs at Westminster (are you an overseas elector?).

Then maybe there will be some questions asked about how British missions overseas are getting away with offering a service that is much worse than what is available in the U.K.
Dont worry. My letter has already been drafted!

I just think it's shocking service. And the guy on the phone kept saying to me "It's British Government Policy" / "British Government Policy doesnt allow us too...." / "The fees for phoning us are set by the British government" ($10 to be told sod all)

Well, if the British Government are responsible they can also get the flak!

(Though I did feel the guy on the phone was too ready to blame the invisible British government and not take responsibility for some of the questions I had about his departmental operations) I probably pissed him off so much I dont stand a chance of getting my son's passport this side of Christmas.......
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:16 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I am flying to the London and then Amsterdam on 10th September 2007 for a 6 day business trip. My UK passport expires on 19th April 2008, which means that on entry to both countries I will have just over 7 months validity on the Passport.

Can anyone confirm if the UK or the Netherlands (if anyone knows) requires more than 6 months validity on their Passport for entry. Has anyone travelled with a passport close to the cut-off point ?

I'm a UK citizen in Australia on a current PR Visa.

Al
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigAPE
I am flying to the London and then Amsterdam on 10th September 2007 for a 6 day business trip. My UK passport expires on 19th April 2008, which means that on entry to both countries I will have just over 7 months validity on the Passport.

Can anyone confirm if the UK or the Netherlands (if anyone knows) requires more than 6 months validity on their Passport for entry. Has anyone travelled with a passport close to the cut-off point ?

Al
Think you'll be fine. 6 months is enough for entry into EU countries with EU passport I am 99% sure! UK passport for UK citizens needs no time at all left on the passport as there are no immigration issues.

However, you do have enough time to renew your passport. I believe that the British consulate renew from the date your current passport expires (within 9 months)
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:06 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Katherine, very useful.

I have also picked this up from another source

Apparently as a UK Citizen you only need a British passport which is valid for 3 Months longer than your stay when entering the EU countries. If the UK were covered under the Schengen Agreement like the rest of the EU we would just need a UK Passport or ID card.

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/coun...d-Kingdom.html
http://www.worldtravelguide.net/coun...therlands.html

Al
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Al
Well if you are planning to go anywhere on that passport you will be in trouble, it expired 2 months ago
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:46 am
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by quoll
Well if you are planning to go anywhere on that passport you will be in trouble, it expired 2 months ago
DOH!

Yep, September 2008 and it expires in April 2009. Sorry, Meth's a hell of a drug.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:48 am
JAJ
Retired

Apparently as a UK Citizen you only need a British passport which is valid for 3 Months longer than your stay when entering the EU countries.
I am not sure if this is true ... a valid passport should be enough.
You should check with a more official source.

If the UK were covered under the Schengen Agreement like the rest of the EU we would just need a UK Passport or ID card.
And there would be a million or more extra illegal immigrants in the U.K. (plus the U.K. would have to impose visas on some countries irrespective of its own foreign policy priorities) so take your pick.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:50 am
JAJ
Retired

Dont worry. My letter has already been drafted!

I just think it's shocking service. And the guy on the phone kept saying to me "It's British Government Policy" / "British Government Policy doesnt allow us too...." / "The fees for phoning us are set by the British government" ($10 to be told sod all)

Well, if the British Government are responsible they can also get the flak!

Don't expect the current Labour government to listen so it is an issue you might want to bring to the attention of the opposition as well.

The point to make is simply that British missions overseas should offer a comparable level of service to what is provided to applicants in the U.K. and currently they fail miserably to do so.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Angry Anna is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day...well actually a very ordinary day. I am British...hubby is Aussie and little daughter holds a British passport...we sent renewal request in the middle of May....no passport...we are due to fly Monday - 7th July....spoke to Canberra.....what a useless bunch...no idea what to do..please help?:curse:
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Angry Anna
G'day...well actually a very ordinary day. I am British...hubby is Aussie and little daughter holds a British passport...we sent renewal request in the middle of May....no passport...we are due to fly Monday - 7th July....spoke to Canberra.....what a useless bunch...no idea what to do..please help?:curse:
Well we finally got our passport on the day before we flew. In the end we rang to withdraw our application as it still had time on it to fly into the UK. You do loose your money if you withdraw but in the end they did send out our new passport.... Our application arrived in Canberra on May 14th and we received it June 22nd. It is worth speaking to your counter-signatory as ours got a phonecall 6 days before we received it and (coincidentally or not?) on the day we asked them for a progress report on the application. I do feel for you. It was one of the most stressful things waiting for it. I almost cried when the courier delivered it. Good Luck!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

PS I think an aussie passport is processed within a week. Is this an option for you if your hubby is aussie
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

It was one of the most stressful things waiting for it. I almost cried when the courier delivered it. Good Luck!
I have a question about the courier, is he one who will leave a slip in the mail box so I can collect it at my post office, or is he one of the ones who will make me go out to the courier office to collect it (like Australian Air Express) - I work all day so wont be at home when he calls.

Mine was sent in May, they finally charged my card over 2 weeks ago. So I guess it will come out any day now.

PS I think an aussie passport is processed within a week. Is this an option for you if your hubby is aussie
Yea, My Aussie one took 10 days, My Irish one has been the worst, that took 3 months, I only got it yesterday, lets hope my British one aint as long as that!

PS: I also don't understand why the British Passport doesnt have an online tracking system, they Oz and Irish ones do and you can check it any time and it shows what stage and % your passport is at.

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Jul 1st 2008 at 1:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.