Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone accountants around Gold Coast/ Brisbane?

Anyone accountants around Gold Coast/ Brisbane?

Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:29 pm
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future
Default Anyone accountants around Gold Coast/ Brisbane?

I'm planning to make The Move this year end to Gold Coast and am worried about not being able to find a job in a similar capacity, as most accounting firms/ banks are located in the Brisbane CBD (I currently audit financial institutions). GC seems to be more focused on tourism, which is not my forte. I did search for jobs, but the accounting roles seem to be focused on payroll and book keeping. Any advice/ stories shared is much appreciated!

Janice, who does not want to commute 3 hours a day to and from Brissy
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:58 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone accountants around Gold Coast/ Brisbane?

Originally Posted by janicebks
I'm planning to make The Move this year end to Gold Coast and am worried about not being able to find a job in a similar capacity, as most accounting firms/ banks are located in the Brisbane CBD (I currently audit financial institutions). GC seems to be more focused on tourism, which is not my forte. I did search for jobs, but the accounting roles seem to be focused on payroll and book keeping. Any advice/ stories shared is much appreciated!

Janice, who does not want to commute 3 hours a day to and from Brissy
In summary you are correct; all the good accounting jobs are in Brisbane CBD.

I presume you have looked at all the Big Firms; you might want also to look into second tier like BDO Kendalls to see if they have a GC presence.

Otherwise, if not wanting to commute, you may indeed have to take a non-audit general 'finance' role instead.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:58 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

There are only 2 Big 4 located in GC, namely EY and KPMG, one of which I'm working with at the moment, but they have a very strict no transfer policy (staff pinching fears). BDO and GT are located in Brissy. I was wondering if there were any good Australian firms actually. But thanks anyway.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:00 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Are you set on working for a large firm, or would you consider a smaller business where the work might including some general bookkeeping, auditing etc? If you're open to that I'll ask around a few contacts I have and see if there is anything going.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:38 am
Hopeful Idealist

Originally Posted by ridds
Are you set on working for a large firm, or would you consider a smaller business where the work might including some general bookkeeping, auditing etc? If you're open to that I'll ask around a few contacts I have and see if there is anything going.
Thanks, ridds. Being fairly young, my first choice would be to garner all the training/ experience possible from big firms/ banks before settling on something more niche. I do appreciate the offer though.

I am curious, how are the working hours like? Overtime seems to be the (unhealthy) norm here and I'm hoping for better work-life balance there. I understand many auditors tend to stay late in Sydney and Melbourne, but not too sure about the case with GC/ Brissy.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:28 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

I think you'll find long hours are the norm in most places, including Brissie