Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody want a little optimism?

Anybody want a little optimism?

Old Nov 28th 2002, 4:06 am
sydneyrose

Default Re: SORRY madmancuniun

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Yes is does feel that way in Australia , but you do enlighten me now and again Rose.

are you suggesting that my pretensions are equal to your pretensions

or is this some convoluted statement about the reformation

Old Nov 28th 2002, 4:09 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sydneyrose
are you suggesting that my pretensions are equal to your pretensions

or is this some convoluted statement about the reformation
Apart from being a very well educated and interesting Lady , it seems that you have a interest in History sadley lacking in Australia.

Old Nov 28th 2002, 4:20 am
sydneyrose

Apart from being a very well educated and interesting Lady , it seems that you have a interest in History sadley lacking in Australia.

flattery will not dispel my scepticism about your motives on this forum, PB

an agent provocateur and hidden agendas

have a cup of tea, plenty of sugar...maybe 6 or 7 spoonfuls.....tablespoons that is

I have to feed the dogs

Old Nov 28th 2002, 4:25 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

flattery will not dispel my scepticism about your motives on this forum, PB

an agent provocateur and hidden agendas

have a cup of tea, plenty of sugar...maybe 6 or 7 spoonfuls.....tablespoons that is

I have to feed the dogs
You flatter me good lady do you realy believe that I am bright? not at all as for the sugar I fear my waist is far to round now but thanks anyway.

Old Nov 28th 2002, 6:02 am
sydneyrose

You flatter me good lady do you realy believe that I am bright? not at all as for the sugar I fear my waist is far to round now but thanks anyway.

the sugar was for your temper. not your girth
you can walk it off at golf

where is the beatles concert being staged
does perth have a concert hall
not like the millenium doom I trust

Old Nov 28th 2002, 6:27 am
Banned

the sugar was for your temper. not your girth
you can walk it off at golf

where is the beatles concert being staged
does perth have a concert hall
not like the millenium doom I trust
I hope that I have no temper but grumpy with age,the Beatles are on at the Regal in Subi it should be a good night .
The Perth Concert Hall is very good showing its age but the times that we have been its been very good , they even do a last Night at the Proms (nick named the Poms night out) everyone is given a small Union Jack Flag and most turn up in with Union Jack clothes not a patch on the Albert hall but a great sing song for all., Not long ago we saw the band out of the film Brassed Off there , they where well worth going to see .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 28th 2002 at 10:21 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 6:35 am
sydneyrose

I hope that I have no temper but grumpy with age,the Beatles are on at the Regal in Subi its should be a good night .
The Perth Concert is very good showing its age but the times that we have been its been very good , they even do a last Night at the Proms (nick named the Poms night out) everyone is given a small Union Jack Flag and most turn up in with Union Jack clothes not a patch on the Albert hall but a great sing song for all., Not long ago we saw the band out of the film Brassed Off there , they where well worth going to see .

in my experience, grumpy with age means grumpy with youth

I shall leave you to labour on at work, PB
I know you are doing your best for our immature deficient country
what would we do without you
indeed
probably be reduced to indigence
begging for stale donuts from our american cousins

besides the dogs want a walk
enjoy the concert

Old Nov 28th 2002, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

I love reading the banter between Pommie B and Sydneyrose. Very amusing - you two are great!
Old Nov 29th 2002, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

laurash is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydneyrose- what exactly is your motivation for being on this site? If you're here as an Auusie to defend the place then WHY? this is a site for people emigrating to OZ.Perhaps although you are not an immigrant, you feel that your totally biased ,Australian opinion, is valid....mmmmm interesting one that. In typical Ozzie fashion all you want to hear is OZ talked up . Let's face it - that's what Ozzies think about the world- that Oz is the greatest, nothing else that is going on in the world matters one fig. Never mind if it's not based on any reality. Never mind that the rest of the world exists, really. Let's all forget about reality and live in Australia. Let's accept that there is no world outside Australia.Let's all concur. Oz is GREAT, Oz is GREAT. Tell everyone on this site and make them happy. Don't what ever you do, tell any form of truth or you won't be welcome.
Old Nov 29th 2002, 7:43 pm
sydneyrose

Originally posted by laurash
Sydneyrose- what exactly is your motivation for being on this site? If you're here as an Auusie to defend the place then WHY? this is a site for people emigrating to OZ.Perhaps although you are not an immigrant, you feel that your totally biased ,Australian opinion, is valid....mmmmm interesting one that. In typical Ozzie fashion all you want to hear is OZ talked up . Let's face it - that's what Ozzies think about the world- that Oz is the greatest, nothing else that is going on in the world matters one fig. Never mind if it's not based on any reality. Never mind that the rest of the world exists, really. Let's all forget about reality and live in Australia. Let's accept that there is no world outside Australia.Let's all concur. Oz is GREAT, Oz is GREAT. Tell everyone on this site and make them happy. Don't what ever you do, tell any form of truth or you won't be welcome.

dear laurash

be not alarmed
our oz insularity is not contagious

neither is our humour

Old Nov 30th 2002, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

thank you for that laurash - my sentiments exactly. I know some of my posts are negative, and I am obviously criticised for expressing these views. I do, however, try to put forward a balanced view whenever possible. I came to Australia with a rather blinkered view of how it would be (more fool me - before anyone else says it), based mainly on the bulls*** I had been reading and hearing from various sources.

However, I also came with an open mind. Some aspects of Australia are fantastic, some leave a great deal to be desired. We, as a family, are as yet undecided as to whether we will eventually settle down and make this our home. 7 months is far too early to make that decision.
I don't think reading negative posts would have stopped me from coming - and I hope those still in the UK reading this forum feel likewise - you need to see for yourself - we are all different and seeking different things - but I do think it would have opened my eyes a little so that certain things would not have come as such as surprise...

The Aussies are so good at PR - perhaps the UK would do well to copy them???

Meantime, I'm enjoying the space, the scenery, the weather, seeing my children happy, etc. but not enjoying certain other aspects which may well prove to be more important than a big garden and permanent sunshine.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

thank you for that laurash - my sentiments exactly. I know some of my posts are negative, and I am obviously criticised for expressing these views. I do, however, try to put forward a balanced view whenever possible. I came to Australia with a rather blinkered view of how it would be (more fool me - before anyone else says it), based mainly on the bulls*** I had been reading and hearing from various sources.

However, I also came with an open mind. Some aspects of Australia are fantastic, some leave a great deal to be desired. We, as a family, are as yet undecided as to whether we will eventually settle down and make this our home. 7 months is far too early to make that decision.
I don't think reading negative posts would have stopped me from coming - and I hope those still in the UK reading this forum feel likewise - you need to see for yourself - we are all different and seeking different things - but I do think it would have opened my eyes a little so that certain things would not have come as such as surprise...

The Aussies are so good at PR - perhaps the UK would do well to copy them???

Meantime, I'm enjoying the space, the scenery, the weather, seeing my children happy, etc. but not enjoying certain other aspects which may well prove to be more important than a big garden and permanent sunshine.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommiesheila
.......However, I also came with an open mind. Some aspects of Australia are fantastic, some leave a great deal to be desired. We, as a family, are as yet undecided as to whether we will eventually settle down and make this our home. 7 months is far too early to make that decision. I don't think reading negative posts would have stopped me from coming - and I hope those still in the UK reading this forum feel likewise - you need to see for yourself - we are all different and seeking different things - but I do think it would have opened my eyes a little so that certain things would not have come as such as surprise...
Very true, unfortunately the nature of these topics is such that its inherent subjectivity lends itself to personal insults. This is not a competition UK vs Aus. Both them are great countries - depends on what you want. I love Aus, my sister from a similar background (African originally) loves the UK.

Bottom line - determine what is important to you
Old Nov 30th 2002, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anybody want a little optimism?

Originally posted by britbird
Hello Guys
I've not been on for so long that I thought that I'd tell you what we've been up to.
Well we moved to Brisbane about 3 months ago and all I can say is thank God for such a wonderful place with friendly people and the most mouth watering sea food I've had the good fortune to taste.
Hubbie is cabby'ing at the moment but only as a stop gap and I'm on home duties.
My daughter is in grade one and loving it with swimming lessons at school well liked!
A great social life goes with school too!
The people are warm and friendly with the usual elements over here as in the UK. Humans will be humans after all.
We've bought a house and will have our own possesions with us for xmas. (not seen them since end of August.)
Life here is what you make it and you do have to be proactive in finding friends and a social life. One friend I have made out here was just by talking to her at the pool!
Homesickness does hit but what life has to offer here, for us, outways what we had in the UK including a lovely house and good jobs.
Cheers
Britbird
Hi there Britbird,

I'm so glad that things are working out for you and it's reassuring that you've made friends. We too are thinking of Brisbane area and also back to considering Adelaide. Any other little mundane snippets would be great. Our little boy will be about seven by the time we finally make the move. We have our visas alreasdy and are coming to validate and have a look around next year.

So keep us posted with the boring tales of price of bread and the like. So of us really do appreciate it. (And are also very enveous of you !!!!)

Take care

Love Ginny & Family
Old Nov 30th 2002, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

I agree with both DPR21 on this thread and Bernie on another , who said :-

"To people reading this in the UK I would say that you shouldn't expect a higher material standard of living - you will be disappointed. Australia is not so much 'better' as 'different' - accept that and you've a chance of being happy here.".

Don't underestimate how different Aus is to GB and don't expect life to follow a simple "This is Better" or "This is Worse" pattern. Some things over here are absolutely wonderful and other things are not so good.

Maybe we could devise a way of comparing whether an uncrowded beach is just as good as cheaper electrical goods....

alternatively we could just get on with enjoying life !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.