Reload this Page >

Anybody Living in Townsville?

Anybody Living in Townsville?

Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Gasbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Anybody Living in Townsville?

Hi All.
Newbie here.My wife is considering an offer to work at the Mater Hospital on ENS or 457 visa.Can anybody give me any info on:

Cost of living i.e gas,electric, rates,house and life insurance,running a car,food shopping etc etc.
Do you have good public transport links(so we can get by with one car).
Your lifestyle and what you do in your leisure time etc.

We are seriously considering going for it.However i am unskilled and a bit worried whether i would get a job to enable us to live(how much would we need?).We are a family of three and any info would be most helpful.

Many Thanks
Gasbob
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:49 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anybody Living in Townsville?

Give Jimtrish a pm you can find her on this thread about Townsville, she works at one of the Townsville hospitals...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356995

also Townsville threads

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391188

and

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381710

hope that helps...

Originally Posted by Gasbob
Hi All.
Newbie here.My wife is considering an offer to work at the Mater Hospital on ENS or 457 visa.Can anybody give me any info on:

Cost of living i.e gas,electric, rates,house and life insurance,running a car,food shopping etc etc.

We are seriously considering going for it.However i am unskilled and a bit worried whether i would get a job to enable us to live(how much would we need?).We are a family of three and any info would be most helpful.

Many Thanks
Gasbob
Old Dec 14th 2006, 2:44 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

I know Trish well and rob and i ahve been here for 2.5 years now. Just a question though... why does your wife want to work at the Mater? What does she do? I can honestly say that it is one of the worst places i have ever worked in terms of staff bullying, lack of support and general bitchiness. I know this sounds awful but i really wouldn't want anyone going through it especially if on a sponsored visa. Trish and i work at the Townsville hospital and there are lots and lots of jobs going in many areas here.
Feel free to email either trish or myself,
Lucy
Old Dec 14th 2006, 3:58 pm
Hibees Hibees

gary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nice

Hi All.

Many Thanks
Gasbob
Hiya ,pm rob&lucy also,we met them in Townsville in October on our reccie.

Gaz
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:37 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All.

Many Thanks
Gasbob
Look for The A Team - they are in townsville and lovin it as far as i can tell!!
Old Dec 14th 2006, 6:32 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rob&lucy
I know Trish well and rob and i ahve been here for 2.5 years now. Just a question though... why does your wife want to work at the Mater? What does she do? I can honestly say that it is one of the worst places i have ever worked in terms of staff bullying, lack of support and general bitchiness. I know this sounds awful but i really wouldn't want anyone going through it especially if on a sponsored visa. Trish and i work at the Townsville hospital and there are lots and lots of jobs going in many areas here.
Lucy
I keep hearing about bullying in OZ, is this common in healthcare employment?
Old Dec 14th 2006, 7:46 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
Look for The A Team - they are in townsville and lovin it as far as i can tell!!
Yep I am lovin it here in Townsville so feel free to ask any questions although for nursing questions speak to Trish or Lucy.

Anyhow RooksieJ are you going to PM me some news?
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by temptininnit
I keep hearing about bullying in OZ, is this common in healthcare employment?
hi, from what i can tell you of the area I work in, bullying is not common. You get the usual morons who throw their weight about, but to be honest, if you know your stuff and do a good job they back off...or if you are like lucy and I you will tell them what for
Trish
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rob&lucy
Lucy

I would definitely second all that lucy says, having been on retrievals there and experienced the not so lovely staff, I would stay clear. Townsville hospital has its problems like any other big hospital, but I wouldnt go to the Mater at all, definitely look into the Townsville hospital, who still offer you visas etc, I came over on a RSMS visa, which gives you permanent residency and you only commit to them for 2yrs, im one year down now and love it.
not sure anyone else does when lucy and I work nights!!

Trish