Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody live near Varsity Lakes

Anybody live near Varsity Lakes

Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

ken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Anybody live near Varsity Lakes

Hello again

We are still looking at where to move to from Melbourne to the Gol.d Coast, thinking about Varsity Lakes and just wondered if anyone knows the area/what its like for families, the school looks pretty good. We have also had mixed reactions about Robina. Its so much harder moving with kids!

Any advice much appreciated.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody live near Varsity Lakes

The Varsity lakes you are probably thinking of is quite densely packed with housing, we were quite surprised at how dense when we were looking for houses and rejected it on that basis. Saying that the suburb houses well off families right down to the finest of centrelink clients.

We have been here six years and on reflection wish we had bought one of the first houses we looked at in Callicarpa St in Reedy Creek. More schools in the area than you could throw a hat at, many private though.

Friends have just bought in a fantastic street in Robina Woods for $585k, the original price being $690k. Has to be one of the better locations on the coast for a family and the property is exactly what you want from a Gold Coast house.

Anyone coming to the coast and buying needs to find a local with knowledge as there are now some real bargains out there along with the still seriously overpriced. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the prices asked here.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

We're looking at property on the Gold Coast right now - prices seem to be in free fall. Not keen on Varsity Lakes or Robina myself though - just giant housing estates IMHO, can't speak about the schools.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 11:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want to live in either BUT they are very popular with families and I think there is a fair amount for them, especially Robina. No bad schools imo, just depends if you want to pay out for private education or get it for free (that was a joke by the way).

I guess if you like modern housing estates then VL and some parts of Robina will be right up your street. If you like a bit of space then bits of Robina are good. If you want a lot of space and are prepared to drive for High Schools and you have to be in that area, then Mudgeeraba. In simple (general) terms, you would have more space in suburbs to the left of the motorway - in the bottom half of the coast anyway.

I don't ever suggest suburbs to people, I'm not you and have no idea what you want/need/wish for. Your idea of 'stuff for families' could be different to mine as well. You can only come over, rent somewhere, and look for yourself.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 8:10 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Varsity has a high proportion of rentals with all the associated hazards - check your neighbours before buying!

Originally Posted by neil248
Anyone coming to the coast and buying needs to find a local with knowledge as there are now some real bargains out there along with the still seriously overpriced. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the prices asked here.
The over priced properties probably are are no hurry to sell,,

Originally Posted by coldbeer
We're looking at property on the Gold Coast right now - prices seem to be in free fall. Not keen on Varsity Lakes or Robina myself though - just giant housing estates IMHO, can't speak about the schools.
IMO the prices have further south to go yet - people are leaving the Coast in droves at the moment desperate to sell..

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't ever suggest suburbs to people, I'm not you and have no idea what you want/need/wish for. Your idea of 'stuff for families' could be different to mine as well. You can only come over, rent somewhere, and look for yourself.
As always MP is spot on..
Old Nov 12th 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't ever suggest suburbs to people, I'm not you and have no idea what you want/need/wish for. Your idea of 'stuff for families' could be different to mine as well. You can only come over, rent somewhere, and look for yourself.[/QUOTE]

Moneypenny is right, one of the suburbs recommended by someone in another of your threads is known by a very uncomplimentory rhyming name by some locals. A reflection on certain elements of it's population.

It is not so much which suburb on the coast you choose rather than which part of a given suburb you choose.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 7:31 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ken-6
Hello again

We are still looking at where to move to from Melbourne to the Gol.d Coast, thinking about Varsity Lakes and just wondered if anyone knows the area/what its like for families, the school looks pretty good. We have also had mixed reactions about Robina. Its so much harder moving with kids!

Any advice much appreciated.
i can recommend varsity college state school as my daughter and several freinds children iether went there or are there at the moment, in order to attend however you have to live within the catchment area for 6 months as a minimum,
to that end we rented a house overlooking lake orr for 7 months then moved out to the other side of the M1 where as moneypenny says you get more room for your money,