Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody Hoping To To Perth Feb 2005

Anybody Hoping To To Perth Feb 2005

Old Sep 30th 2004, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

DONBEN is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Anybody Hoping To To Perth Feb 2005

HI MYSELF HUSBAND AND TWO KIDS BEN AGED 10 AND GEORGIA AGED 7 WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYBODY GOING OVER TO PERTH AROUND JOONDALOOP AREA.KIDS NOT HAPPY ABOUT GOING AT THE MINUTE WOULD BE NICE TO HEAR FROM OTHER PEOPLE IN SAME POSITION.HOPING TO DO NURSING WHEN I GET THEREundefinedundefined
Old Sep 30th 2004, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

polly18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Anybody Hoping To To Perth Feb 2005

Hi we are going to Perth in January 05. Myself, husband and son, who is now 15 years. We hope to see what Perth is like before making that big step later in the year if possible. I am a community staff nurse at present and would prefer to stay in the community environment if possible. We made a visit earlier this year to Sydney, Brisbane, and Cairns. Very nice but not sure if its what we were looking for.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anybody Hoping To To Perth Feb 2005

Originally Posted by DONBEN
HI MYSELF HUSBAND AND TWO KIDS BEN AGED 10 AND GEORGIA AGED 7 WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYBODY GOING OVER TO PERTH AROUND JOONDALOOP AREA.KIDS NOT HAPPY ABOUT GOING AT THE MINUTE WOULD BE NICE TO HEAR FROM OTHER PEOPLE IN SAME POSITION.HOPING TO DO NURSING WHEN I GET THEREundefinedundefined
Hi
We are arriving in Perth on the 8th Jan. We are renting in Connolly (close to Joondaloop)for 3 weeks while we look for a 6 month rental. Our kids our 6, 4 and 10 months but they are very excited about it. Have you got a job lined up yet? I think prospects for nurses are good. Why are your kids not happy? Are they worried about missing family/friends or is it just fear of the unknown?
Yvonne
Old Sep 30th 2004, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Anybody Hoping To To Perth Feb 2005

Originally Posted by YFitz
Hi
We are arriving in Perth on the 8th Jan. We are renting in Connolly (close to Joondaloop)for 3 weeks while we look for a 6 month rental. Our kids our 6, 4 and 10 months but they are very excited about it. Have you got a job lined up yet? I think prospects for nurses are good. Why are your kids not happy? Are they worried about missing family/friends or is it just fear of the unknown?
Yvonne
HI YVONNE MY SON DOESNT WANT TO GO COS HE WILL MISS HIS NA HES OK WITH US AND DOES GET EXCITED BUT WHEN HES BEEN TO HIS NANS HES SAD AGAIN .WHERE ARE YOU LIVING IN THE UK WE ARE NEAR MANCHESTER OUR STUFF HAS ALREADY GONE OVER IN A CONTAINER IN STORAGE WHILE WE GET THERE HOPING TO RENT FOR FIRST 12 MONTHS NOT SURE WHERE YET ITS S BIT SCARY DONNA
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

karlyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a nurse working on the community here in not so sunny England, Myself husband and 2 children aged 9 and 6 hope to go to Perth in the new year, Joondalup is one of the areas we have been looking into.

Both children have reservations especially the older one mainly because she thinks she will miss her friends from school. We are trying to be really positive and are getting them involved with reading posts on here, and encourage them to e-mail there friends before we go, just so they don't feel as though they are loosing all contact with them. We have also discussed the possibility of a web cam but not sure if that would upset her more as she can be a bit of a drama queen. :scared:

Having said that grandma is really keen to get set-up with a web-cam before we go so she can see us, although I know she means the kids!!
But yes it is scary.....very scary :scared: glad it not just me that feels like that
Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:24 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road

We are hoping to be in Perth Jan/Feb 05, hoping to rent in Joondalup, we are Julia, Graham and 3 kids, 17, 14 and 3.

House has been on the market one month.

Kids are all ok about it, apart from 17 year old has recently hooked up with girlfriend, but he still seems really keen to go.

Julia
Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Not yet applied for visa but hoping to pretty soon. I am a nurse so hoping will be moving to Perth early next year (fingers crossed). We have a 13 year old daughter who is excited about going to Oz but she is really going to miss all her friends here. However she is always on MSN messaging anyway every night so she will still be able to keep in touch that way (time difference permitting). I am sure she will make more friends easily when she is there, especially at school. We also have a 8 month old baby and we are hoping there will be some good toddler groups. My wife has joined a baby forum and is in contact with other mums from Perth.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DONBEN
HI YVONNE MY SON DOESNT WANT TO GO COS HE WILL MISS HIS NA HES OK WITH US AND DOES GET EXCITED BUT WHEN HES BEEN TO HIS NANS HES SAD AGAIN .WHERE ARE YOU LIVING IN THE UK WE ARE NEAR MANCHESTER OUR STUFF HAS ALREADY GONE OVER IN A CONTAINER IN STORAGE WHILE WE GET THERE HOPING TO RENT FOR FIRST 12 MONTHS NOT SURE WHERE YET ITS S BIT SCARY DONNA

We're in Suffolk. We've got flights and accommodaton booked but at the moment am trying to decide if we should ship all our furniture or just ship all our boxes of "stuff" and buy new furniture there. It's not like we have expensive antiques or anything- just Ikea and DFS! How are you managing if all your stuff has already gone Donna? also have you sold your house yet? Ours has been on the market for 2 weeks. Had 6 viewers in 1st week- even had a 2nd viewing but it's all gone quiet now. Now that there's talk of the bubble bursting I think all the buyers are waiting to see what happens..... Are you having any better luck Julia?
Yvonne
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

We're in Suffolk. We've got flights and accommodaton booked but at the moment am trying to decide if we should ship all our furniture or just ship all our boxes of "stuff" and buy new furniture there. It's not like we have expensive antiques or anything- just Ikea and DFS! How are you managing if all your stuff has already gone Donna? also have you sold your house yet? Ours has been on the market for 2 weeks. Had 6 viewers in 1st week- even had a 2nd viewing but it's all gone quiet now. Now that there's talk of the bubble bursting I think all the buyers are waiting to see what happens..... Are you having any better luck Julia?
Yvonne
HI NOT YET PUT MY HOUSE UP FOR SALE YET HAD IT VALUED TWO DAYS AGO GOING TO LEAVE IT ABOUT 4 WEEKS COS THEY SELL DEAD QUICK ROUND HER DONT WANT TO END UP HOMLESS NOT COPING TOO BAD AT HOME SENT ABOUT TWENTY BOXES OF PESONAL STUFF ETC GOT ANOTHER CONTAINERBEFORE CHRISTMAS TO SEND ALL THE BIG STUFF NOT ROLLING IN MONEY JUST GOING TO BUY A COUPLE OF NEW THINGS TO SEND OVER EG SOFA AND THINGS LIKE THAT SURPRISING WHAT YOU MISS WHEN ITS NOT THERE
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

johnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Anybody Hoping To To Perth Feb 2005

Hi, me hubby and sons Ben age 10 (snap) and Sam aged 7 are all waiting to hear from Oz re-visa application. If things go smoothly we hope to go in March/April 2005. Kids don't want to go - especially Ben. Worrying about leaving his friends, his nan and his cousin. Sam doesn't want to go either - told his school friends that his mum and dad are going but he is going to stay with his grandad.
We are looking at Currambine, Kinross and general Joondalup areas. I am concerned about the distance to the nearest state high schools. I do like what I hear aout Duncraig. Ocean Reef which would be better in terms of distance, does seem to have good and bad responses.

This wont be an immediate problem, but we hope that witihn our first year we can really research this whole area and buy and settle some where suitable.

We keep telling the boys they will love it - I hope we are right.

Maybe I could get my Ben to email your Ben - let me know what you think.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:47 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road

Yvonne
No Luck as yet Yvonne

First 2 weeks about 10 viewers, had 2 offers £10,000 under asking price, since had another 2nd viewing, they love it but won't offer until theres is sold, have another viewing on Sat at 2.15 pm. Fingers crossed.

Beginning to think maybe we should have accepted the lower offers.

We will see, haven't got our visas yet, hoping for them to come through
Jan 05. Still have a bit of time.

Worried about this going on into November, then we will be stuffed.

Fingers crossed for all of us eh.

Julia
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Anybody Hoping To To Perth Feb 2005

Originally Posted by johnkay
Hi, me hubby and sons Ben age 10 (snap) and Sam aged 7 are all waiting to hear from Oz re-visa application. If things go smoothly we hope to go in March/April 2005. Kids don't want to go - especially Ben. Worrying about leaving his friends, his nan and his cousin. Sam doesn't want to go either - told his school friends that his mum and dad are going but he is going to stay with his grandad.
We are looking at Currambine, Kinross and general Joondalup areas. I am concerned about the distance to the nearest state high schools. I do like what I hear aout Duncraig. Ocean Reef which would be better in terms of distance, does seem to have good and bad responses.

This wont be an immediate problem, but we hope that witihn our first year we can really research this whole area and buy and settle some where suitable.

We keep telling the boys they will love it - I hope we are right.

Maybe I could get my Ben to email your Ben - let me know what you think.
SOUNDS LIKE A REALLY GOOD IDEA MY KIDS ARE SAYING THE SAME WE ARE GOING BUT THEY ARE STOPPING HEAR WOULD BE GREAT FOR BEN TO KNOW HES NOT THE ONLY ONE SCARED OF MISSING HIS FRIENDS I WILL TELL HIM IN THE MORNING IM SURE HE WILL BE PLEASED
Old Oct 1st 2004, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

junekelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , I came to Australia when I was 10 and have now been here for 30yrs. I live in Quinns not far from Joondalup and also sell real estate in the local area. Public high School is in Kinross for the Joondalup area it is Belridge which is in beldon.

My partner and I rent out houses for short or long term stays in Quinns Rocks and Joondalup. If anyone is interest you can email me [email protected]

Hope you have a great time living in Australia. I know when I was told I was coming here as a child I didn't want to come either. I really believed that there were aboriginals and kangaroos hoping across the road..lol

I love the Perth now and I'm really glad that my parents decided to give us an opportunity for a better life here. There are huge numbers of British migrants here and I meet a new one everyday thats come to start a new life.

There are different rules here for buying real estate and there is no cooling off period like there is in Britian. Please make sure you understand that an offer here is binding legally,it is completely different to Britian.
If anyone needs help understanding the difference call me when you get to Australia and I'll be happy to explain the rules to you. Mobile in Australia is 0407 444 531

Last edited by junekelly; Oct 1st 2004 at 8:56 am.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by junekelly
Hi , I came to Australia when I was 10 and have now been here for 30yrs. I live in Quinns not far from Joondalup and also sell real estate in the local area. Public high School is in Kinross for the Joondalup area it is Belridge which is in beldon.

My partner and I rent out houses for short or long term stays in Quinns Rocks and Joondalup. If anyone is interest you can email me [email protected]

Hope you have a great time living in Australia. I know when I was told I was coming here as a child I didn't want to come either. I really believed that there were aboriginals and kangaroos hoping across the road..lol
hi thanks for that june we will be looking for somewhere to rent in joondaloop from feb onwards any info you can give us would be really useful its great to know people are out there to help us poor people over here its a nightmare trying to organize things from overhere thanks donna
Old Oct 1st 2004, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

junekelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Donna
Here in Perth the standard rental agreements are for 6 months. This is a legal contract entered into by both parties. The rents vary from approx $220pw Aus to $260pw at present in Joondalup. If you want a short term stay with furnishings, linen etc in Feb you would be looking at $650.00 in a private holiday home. These properties would be considered large with 4/5 bedrooms, lounge, family and games and outdoor patios (here people have bbq's in summer and eat outside.

Buying property here is when you need a friend in Real Estate as there is what is termed price ranging and people can quite often pay more than the property may be worth on valuation. There is no cooling off period and the offer and Acceptance is legally binding. Real Estate Representative here go with you to the property and you do not communicate with the vendor direct. Everything is done by the real estate from negotiation of price back and forth to pre-settlement.

If you need any help when you get here call me on my mobile 0407 444 531.

You can get a pre-paid mobile here quite cheap and its a lot easier for someone from Britian. Its harder to have a contract in place because id is needed with a current address.

Thanks for your reply
Kind Regards
June