Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody been to Muswellbrook? NSW.

Anybody been to Muswellbrook? NSW.

Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Timvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Anybody been to Muswellbrook? NSW.

Hi, me, my wife and 9yr old son will be emigrating to Muswellbrook in the Hunter valley NSW on the 28th of March. The reason for going to Muswellbrook is that i have been offered a job which looks quite good so i thought why not give it a go. We was originally going to Brisbane but i guess we can always go there if this doesn't work out for us. My question is has anyone on the discussion forum ever been to Muswellbrook or the Hunter Valley and what did you think of it? Any replies would be gratefully received.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anybody been to Muswellbrook? NSW.

Originally Posted by Timvic
Hi, me, my wife and 9yr old son will be emigrating to Muswellbrook in the Hunter valley NSW on the 28th of March. The reason for going to Muswellbrook is that i have been offered a job which looks quite good so i thought why not give it a go. We was originally going to Brisbane but i guess we can always go there if this doesn't work out for us. My question is has anyone on the discussion forum ever been to Muswellbrook or the Hunter Valley and what did you think of it? Any replies would be gratefully received.
Hi Timvic

I have visited Muswellbrook serveral times, my brother-in-law lives there. In my honest opinion i'd have to describe the town as 'Tired', a one main street town. In its favour it does have a fairly good RSL, a couple of motels, train station and mostly small shops, oh and not forggeting a Big W. Other amminities include a golf course, public swimming pool, heritage centre, library and a selection of old style pubs, also being in the hunter valley if you like your wine - not a bad place to be.

From what I understand the main source of employment other than the usual retail stuff, is in the mines. My BIL was made redundant when the large power station started to shed its workload (he now drives a taxi).

Muswellbrook strikes me a a dusty hot town (air-con a must) with more than its fair share of 'ferals' and unemployment, my own comparison between Muswellbrook and towns like Orange, Parks, Forbes etc is that Muswellbrook just does'nt compare. Not that it'll help your mental picture I'd describe it as Dubbo on a small scale.

I'd really like to butter the place up for you but - best being honest! I have settled just 50k North of Brisbane so if I can help with anything more please dont hesitate to ask.

Regards Scot.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Anybody been to Muswellbrook? NSW.

Hi Scott,
thanks for that, we thought it might be like that but you never know we might like it. What does dubbo mean at the end of your post?
Thanks
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:26 pm
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

I've been working with a girl originally from Muswellbrook, she's just moved back there and is living with her Ma again while she works in admin at one of the mines...

I can ask her about it If you want, I've not been there myself, but I know as a twenty-something she much preferred living in Newcastle to living out there... She also seemed to know EVERYONE in the town, which led me to believe that It was either a very small place, or a very close-knit place.

Maybe if Muswellbrook doesn't end up being too nice, there are a few other towns close-ish that you could look out and see what they're like, like Scone or Singleton, then commute to M'brk to work.

The Valley itself is very beautiful for the most part, until you do hit the side of it that is heavier with Industry (Mining). i.e. there are the parts that the tourists go to, and beyond that border the only people that are there are there to work.

Let me know If you want me to get info - as being in Newcastle, I might have an okay chance at finding things out...
Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Timvic
Hi Scott,
thanks for that, we thought it might be like that but you never know we might like it. What does dubbo mean at the end of your post?
Thanks
Sorry! Dubbo is another town in NSW.

Regards Scot.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Anybody been to Muswellbrook? NSW.

Originally Posted by lel_smiff
I've been working with a girl originally from Muswellbrook, she's just moved back there and is living with her Ma again while she works in admin at one of the mines...

I can ask her about it If you want, I've not been there myself, but I know as a twenty-something she much preferred living in Newcastle to living out there... She also seemed to know EVERYONE in the town, which led me to believe that It was either a very small place, or a very close-knit place.

Maybe if Muswellbrook doesn't end up being too nice, there are a few other towns close-ish that you could look out and see what they're like, like Scone or Singleton, then commute to M'brk to work.

The Valley itself is very beautiful for the most part, until you do hit the side of it that is heavier with Industry (Mining). i.e. there are the parts that the tourists go to, and beyond that border the only people that are there are there to work.

Let me know If you want me to get info - as being in Newcastle, I might have an okay chance at finding things out...

Hi, any info would be great.
Thanks.