Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any of you been to a British Citizenship Ceremony

any of you been to a British Citizenship Ceremony

Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:45 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default any of you been to a British Citizenship Ceremony

If so whats it like,

My hubby has got his in Perth on the 26th April, off to buy him some Union Jack boxers, flag and socks 2moro. but we dont really know what to expect, I am asuming quite formal ie wear a suit but does it go on for a long time, will he get a plant or some other little pressie like you do when you get Aussie Citizenship? maybe they could give him a big bag of Walkers Cheese and Onion Crisps

He has been told he can apply for his British Passport there and then, so we will do that might aswell in my opinion then you have it for 10 yrs so if we wanna go back to earupe we can just go and not bother with getting the passport then they will send the forms for him at a cost of $5 and it will cost him $78 for the passport, pretty cheap really

Anyway it is all quite exciting, Unfortunately it is a tuesday so not a great night for people goin out on the larry lash but we really have to celebrate afterwards so if anyone want to join us I'l let you know where we'll be.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: any of you been to a British Citizenship Ceremony

Originally Posted by JayDeee
If so whats it like,

My hubby has got his in Perth on the 26th April, off to buy him some Union Jack boxers, flag and socks 2moro. but we dont really know what to expect, I am asuming quite formal ie wear a suit but does it go on for a long time, will he get a plant or some other little pressie like you do when you get Aussie Citizenship? maybe they could give him a big bag of Walkers Cheese and Onion Crisps

He has been told he can apply for his British Passport there and then, so we will do that might aswell in my opinion then you have it for 10 yrs so if we wanna go back to earupe we can just go and not bother with getting the passport then they will send the forms for him at a cost of $5 and it will cost him $78 for the passport, pretty cheap really

Anyway it is all quite exciting, Unfortunately it is a tuesday so not a great night for people goin out on the larry lash but we really have to celebrate afterwards so if anyone want to join us I'l let you know where we'll be.
hiya kala

My hubby just had his citizenship ceremony. It wasn't that formal, although people were dressed smart. They cop you straight away for the electoral roll, sign you up before the ceremony starts!! In Rockingham we had a brief introduction by a bloke, followed by a rather (inexplicable!) loud bagpipe parade, they played some stuff (very loudly! ) through the room (No, I don't know why either...Ithought it was an aussie ceremony not a scottish one!)
Then they called out the names of the new citizens they go up to the front, swear the pledge on the bible, shake the mayors hand and get a citizenship certificate, aussie lapel pin and a coin. Followed by a rather loud rendition of waltzing matilda, the national anthem and Auld Lang's syne (at least I think that's what it was).

Then followed by a photo opportunity with the mayor (if you really felt you must) a drink of grog and obligatory party pies (sooooo glad I'm a veggie!!) job done.

Think it was all over and done with within about half an hour (the ceremony, dunno about the party after, we didn't stay!!)

love sophia xx
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:08 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: any of you been to a British Citizenship Ceremony

Originally Posted by sophia
hiya kala

My hubby just had his citizenship ceremony. It wasn't that formal, although people were dressed smart. They cop you straight away for the electoral roll, sign you up before the ceremony starts!! In Rockingham we had a brief introduction by a bloke, followed by a rather (inexplicable!) loud bagpipe parade, they played some stuff (very loudly! ) through the room (No, I don't know why either...Ithought it was an aussie ceremony not a scottish one!)
Then they called out the names of the new citizens they go up to the front, swear the pledge on the bible, shake the mayors hand and get a citizenship certificate, aussie lapel pin and a coin. Followed by a rather loud rendition of waltzing matilda, the national anthem and Auld Lang's syne (at least I think that's what it was).

Then followed by a photo opportunity with the mayor (if you really felt you must) a drink of grog and obligatory party pies (sooooo glad I'm a veggie!!) job done.

Think it was all over and done with within about half an hour (the ceremony, dunno about the party after, we didn't stay!!)

love sophia xx
My husbands is for his British Citizenship, we applied before we left the UK and he can have his Ceremony in Perth.
No doubt they are all pretty similar though and now I know to make sure I am not hungry when my turn comes up for Aussie citizenship

Cheers
Kala