Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any vets out there???????

Any vets out there???????

Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Any vets out there???????

Our beautiful boxer pup, Lampard, had the 'chop' last Monday, but despite being back to the vets 3 times he is still in agony. He is on pain killers and anti-inflamatry tablets, but his ba***s are still very swollen.
He has been fitted with a 'lampshade' around his head, which he has succeeded in breaking 3 times, and he still manages to catch his wound either with his teeth or with the lampshade. Our poor Toby is going out of his mind.
We have planned a surprise birthday party for Toby tonight as he is 18 today. he thinks we are just going out for dinner. He has just informed me that he doesnt think he can go out for a meal and would rather a subway and sit in with his pup. He says he will worry too much. we have a dog sitter for the evening but any advice would b gretaly appreciated!!

Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any vets out there???????

Sandra, have sent you a PM....
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:03 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Our beautiful boxer pup, Lampard, had the 'chop' last Monday, but despite being back to the vets 3 times he is still in agony. He is on pain killers and anti-inflamatry tablets, but his ba***s are still very swollen.
He has been fitted with a 'lampshade' around his head, which he has succeeded in breaking 3 times, and he still manages to catch his wound either with his teeth or with the lampshade. Our poor Toby is going out of his mind.
We have planned a surprise birthday party for Toby tonight as he is 18 today. he thinks we are just going out for dinner. He has just informed me that he doesnt think he can go out for a meal and would rather a subway and sit in with his pup. He says he will worry too much. we have a dog sitter for the evening but any advice would b gretaly appreciated!!

Thanks
As a dog breeder I hope all is well with your Boxer

You mentioned he was a pup?? What age ??
Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:08 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sj oldfield

Thanks
Bit late now but homoeopathic arnica should help heal the wound and reduce the inflammation. If it was my dog I'd be giving a 200c potency.

Hope he's better soon. We left castrating our GSD until he was almost eighteen months, and he dealt with it very well. He was all healed up within four or five days and thankfully didn't need one of those collars.

I know it sounds daft - well it did to me when the veterinary nurse suggested it to us - but we were told to put a pair of dh's shorts on Mishka to stop him getting to the wound. We never did need to but I still wonder what on earth he would have looked like.... Still, if it does the job...?

Sue
Old Aug 27th 2005, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

viccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura about

Hi Sandra,
Every now and then we get a young, ex man,like your boxer boy similarily afflicted. they end up looking like a christmas pudding is hanging between their legs and walk like cowboys, not pleasant at all and you do feel helpless. (Some of G's cricket team relate similar experiences post vasectomies but we know how men like to exaggerate size sometimes!)
generally in our practice we rec cold compresses, hold a wet towel placed in the fridge on for a few minutes as freq as you can, cont the pain killer/anti inflammatories and really restrict the exercise which will be heard with a young boxer. This condition doesn't tend to be age related, it's usually just rotten bad luck, tho sometimes it's from a v small blding blood vessel in the scrotal tunics which has continued to ooze slowly and fill up that potential space from whence his goolies were removed.
Worst scenario is that the swelling takes for ever to go down and the vet will decide that a 'scrotal ablation' is necessary. Gen anaesthetic again, grab scrotum sac in one hand, and remove with the scalpel, then suture the 2 edges together. This tends to be done in older dog castrates as routine or if the testicles were larger with tumour tissue allowing a huge flaccid bag like a sporran to be left dangling between the legs. Removal is the safest option and prevents them getting your dog's prob however for some dogs the loss of extra skin means they feel like their legs are permanently crossed til it's healed and the wound has stretched.

Obviously it's your choice but I would maybe take him for a second opinion to another practice to if you can, they may agree with your vet, which is good and say it just needs time, or may rec the rpt surgery option. Howvere then you're up a big bill again and have to wait another 10-14d for the wound to heaal.

Diff choice I know, but I know he'll be right eventually and won't have any hangups or bad memories . My old boy was done at 11yr because of a tumour here by my otherhalf, I couldn't bear the thought of inflicting the evil cut, what a poof! and woke up to a choccie biccie. He never even noticed they were gone, just thought there was more room for licking his other bits.

Sorry I can't be there to give the youngster (dog that is) a few treats and a cuddle, but I'm sure he's getting twice his usual share.
Tell your son Lampard will not even notice he's gone for a few hrs if you leave him a nice food filled toy and dog video of attractive poodles and rough collies!

Yours in sympathy Claire
( believe me when this happens to a patient of mine I come out in serious guilt feelings)
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Quick update on Lampard.

Further visit to the vets on Saturady afternoon. They insist we keep him quiet and calm to help with the healing........but.......HE doesnt understnad that. He is charging around the house with these huge swollen b***S dangling.....not a pretty site.
I explained that we were going to ahve to cance the party we had arranged and they then gave us a sedative to try and calm him. It worked slightly, just enough to be able to leave the looney dog with a neighbour for a few hours.

Today he is still charging around the place with the 'lampshade' on his head. His 'wounds' appear to be getting better thank goodness.

The vet then tells us that a boxer is the worst type of dog for them to treat as they are so hypa...........I know that now!!!