Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any vegetarians out there (HELP)

any vegetarians out there (HELP)

Old Oct 16th 2005, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all
Unhappy any vegetarians out there (HELP)

Hi is it true that they dont sell quorn.
Dont know what i am going to do.
Anyone else in the same situation.
If its true what are you using as a substitute.
Just joined you must think I'm a bore.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of
Default Re: any vegetarians out there (HELP)

Originally Posted by zbettyboop
Hi ZBB, welcome to BE

No quorn in Oz (except in the Flinders Range ), unlikely either due to process of manufacture it seems (and ?GM soya??)
We are not there yet, but Viccollie is a veggie (not vegan) so have been looking for things as replacement..... still looking . Back to the TVP I think. Try looking at http://www.lamyong.com.au (google if that don't work) or there are several veggie/vegan orgs in oz. for a hint of what may be available for bulking protein and texture.
Otherwise hit the pulses

Good luck, Gerry
Old Oct 16th 2005, 4:06 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Try contacting Ceri [another poster on here] as Ceri is a vegetarian and seems to have found where lots of things are.

Sorry can't help....I love my bacon butties too much I'm afraid

I'm no good to ask about veggie stuff

Good luck!
Old Oct 16th 2005, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Try contacting Ceri [another poster on here] as Ceri is a vegetarian and seems to have found where lots of things are.

Sorry can't help....I love my bacon butties too much I'm afraid

I'm no good to ask about veggie stuff

Good luck!
Turned veggie but still love the smell of bacon.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Polyphemus]Hi ZBB, welcome to BE

No quorn in Oz (except in the Flinders Range ), unlikely either due to process of manufacture it seems (and ?GM soya??)
We are not there yet, but Viccollie is a veggie (not vegan) so have been looking for things as replacement..... still looking . Back to the TVP I think. Try looking at http://www.lamyong.com.au (google if that don't work) or there are several veggie/vegan orgs in oz. for a hint of what may be available for bulking protein and texture.
Otherwise hit the pulses

Good luck, Gerry[/QUOTE

Looked it up.Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Don't know where you are planning to settle. I can only talk about my local area - Sunshine Coast. There are plenty of health food shops, cafes, restaurants, fast-food chains, organic veg shops. Not everyone in Australia lives on bbq meat.

Rachel
Old Oct 16th 2005, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RReed
Don't know where you are planning to settle. I can only talk about my local area - Sunshine Coast. There are plenty of health food shops, cafes, restaurants, fast-food chains, organic veg shops. Not everyone in Australia lives on bbq meat.

Rachel
We plan to settle in Bunbury Near Perth.
So fingers crossed.Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2005, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: any vegetarians out there (HELP)

Hi

I am vegetarian and it is definitely more limited for choice in Australia than in UK (but that is mostly because I am lazy). Its fine if you can cook lots of things from scratch, eg veggie curries.

You can get tofu in all big supermarkets in the deli section which is lucky as I happen to really like tofu, and never liked quorn that much anyway.

The variety of fresh fruit and veg here is fantastic.

Mel
Old Oct 16th 2005, 11:00 am
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future

This is a letter which I had from the makers of Quorn:

18 July 2005

Dear Sharon

Thank you for your recent contact regarding Quorn products. We were pleased to hear that you enjoy them.

Unfortunately, as you know Quorn products are not yet available in Australia, and at this time we can not say when and indeed if they will be introduced there, however we will forward your comments on. Quorn products are currently available in the UK, USA, Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium and Holland.

Also for your interest as Quorn products are sold frozen, it is not feasible to despatch small quantities for direct sale. As products become available in more countries, details will appear on our website at www.quorn.com.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Yours sincerely

Tracey Cope
Consumer Care Advisor

Any data held is for the purpose of answering your contact with Marlow Foods Ltd and will not be passed to any third party without your permission

Old Oct 16th 2005, 11:06 am
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

I too am a veggie and is my friend who has been living in Brisbane for nearly 5 years nearly rang me in the middle of the night with excitement at finding Beanfeast in the her local supermarket!
Old Oct 16th 2005, 12:19 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

I have been in Brisbane 6 months and find there is less veggie "ready-made" food here than in the Uk and what there is, is harder to find and more expensive than the UK....however, have now found where the veggie stuff is in Woollies (and they increased their veggie range within a month of me arriving which was very kind of them!) and you can get sausages and burgers and schnitzels and nuggets made from TVP and soya also the veggie "bacon" is nicer here than in the UK and tofu is readily available....also check out the asian supermarkets for a massive range of tofu!! It's a shame there's no quorn but I lived on the stuff in the UK but manage fine without it here! I also find when eating out that there are always veggie options and often quite a few to choose from.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 12:43 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cagandchris
I also find when eating out that there are always veggie options and often quite a few to choose from.
You're doing much better than we are. I've been here in Brisbane almost 2 years now and we always have trouble eating out. I find that even when a dish is labelled vegetarian, they always plop a load of parmesan on top. We tend to stick to Indonesian or Italian.

You also have to study labels in the supermarket. They stick meat by-products into nearly everything here. They tend not to label food as being suitable for vegetarians. Its a lot harder being veggie here than in England.

Jane
Old Oct 16th 2005, 2:06 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Yep its true - No Quorn, but plenty of soya products and tofu by the bucket load Plus plenty of cheap veggies so dust off those cook books and you'll eat like a king.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 2:22 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shazrazmataz
This is a letter which I had from the makers of Quorn:

18 July 2005

Dear Sharon

Thank you for your recent contact regarding Quorn products. We were pleased to hear that you enjoy them.

Unfortunately, as you know Quorn products are not yet available in Australia, and at this time we can not say when and indeed if they will be introduced there, however we will forward your comments on. Quorn products are currently available in the UK, USA, Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium and Holland.

Also for your interest as Quorn products are sold frozen, it is not feasible to despatch small quantities for direct sale. As products become available in more countries, details will appear on our website at www.quorn.com.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Yours sincerely

Tracey Cope
Consumer Care Advisor

Any data held is for the purpose of answering your contact with Marlow Foods Ltd and will not be passed to any third party without your permission

I have been emailing quorn every two months or so since we arrived, and always get the above response. To be honest quorn are a multi-million dollar company so dont need to sell to Aus, so my guess is they wont. We have tried several different options, but none can hold a candle to quorn Im afraid.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 3:06 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
I have been emailing quorn every two months or so since we arrived, and always get the above response. To be honest quorn are a multi-million dollar company so dont need to sell to Aus, so my guess is they wont. We have tried several different options, but none can hold a candle to quorn Im afraid.
But why do you need quorn (never eaten it - I'm a quorn virgin ) just use soya mince (even meat eaters cant tell the difference) plus there are so many fabby veggie recipes that can be whipped up in 20 mins or less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.