Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any tips for helping toddler adjust to new life?

Any tips for helping toddler adjust to new life?

Old Sep 15th 2006, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

carrot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any tips for helping toddler adjust to new life?

Wondering if anyone can give me a few tips on helping our nearly 2 year old son adjust to his new life in Melbourne? We are moving out there from the UK mid-October, and am slightly worried as to whether playgroups etc shut down for the summer holidays (most of the ones I go to in UK are open term time only). I'm keen to get him signed up for lots of activities so that we can both meet lots of new people, and to help him settle, but can't see that we will be able to start any till after the summer break at the beginning of Feb. Seems like ages away!

Also, does anyone have any 'moving house' themed books they could recommend, to help little ones understand the moving process, and why they won't see loved ones like grandparents and aunts and uncles for a while. Can't seem to find any on moving abroad and have spent ages on Amazon looking!

Feel like there isn't too much else we can do to prepare him whilst we are still in the UK. We talk about Australia a lot and how he will make new friends etc. We have also introduced him to The Wiggles which he thinks are great! We are also planning on taking lots of his toys, books, etc with us so that he has lots of familiar things around him. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

gozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nice
Default Re: Any tips for helping toddler adjust to new life?

Originally Posted by carrot
Wondering if anyone can give me a few tips on helping our nearly 2 year old son adjust to his new life in Melbourne? We are moving out there from the UK mid-October, and am slightly worried as to whether playgroups etc shut down for the summer holidays (most of the ones I go to in UK are open term time only). I'm keen to get him signed up for lots of activities so that we can both meet lots of new people, and to help him settle, but can't see that we will be able to start any till after the summer break at the beginning of Feb. Seems like ages away!

Also, does anyone have any 'moving house' themed books they could recommend, to help little ones understand the moving process, and why they won't see loved ones like grandparents and aunts and uncles for a while. Can't seem to find any on moving abroad and have spent ages on Amazon looking!

Feel like there isn't too much else we can do to prepare him whilst we are still in the UK. We talk about Australia a lot and how he will make new friends etc. We have also introduced him to The Wiggles which he thinks are great! We are also planning on taking lots of his toys, books, etc with us so that he has lots of familiar things around him. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks for any advice!
I wouldnt worry to much about it, at that age Im sure he'll take the lead from you. If you are happy and relaxed about the move, then he will be. He is still at an age where he will easily adjust to new surrounding fairly quickly. My hubby used to go away for months on end when my son was that age and he hardly noticed. I would say just take it all in your stride and he will do the same.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:34 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carrot

Thanks for any advice!
We came out with our daughter when she was 2 and half (April this year). She had a ball at the airports and the planes.

We spent time taking her to select a suitcase of her own (big 120 litre pink) and a small bag to carry on - small turtle themed one.

I took my laptop with me and a selection of her favourite DVD to play.

The most reassuring thing for them is having mummy and daddy around.

As far as I am aware the playgroups my daughter attends are open through out just breaking for xmas. But you shouldnt worry - you will meet many others at the numerous play parks (as many parks as there are pubs in the UK)

Your son will have a wicked time coming in Oct/Nov its the start of the warmer season so everyone will be out at the parks and the beaches.
most parks also have gas BBQ do you just roll up with your food cook and eat.

For all the stresses we the parents suffer the kids have an absolute ball and not for one glimmer of a moment have I ever thought different.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

I've got 2 liitle ones, little girl was 2 in May & boy with be 4 in Nov.
When we came in Feb, they were both a nightmare for the first 2 weeks, getting over jetlag, coupled with us all being in 1 bedroom,as we stayed with friends when we got here,worst 2 weeks ever :scared:
BUT, thats all natural for them,so far removed from any routine and anything familiar. We all settled in fine & once they were in a routine & in our own place they were great. We made a big deal about getting them new beds & putting things in their new bedrooms,like some picture & photos from Uk,let them pick new bedding etc..
Kids at this age just accept whatever happens as normal, they don't stress about making friends,they don't worry about things like adults,as the OP said, they take their lead from you. If you don't worry, they won't
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Hi I wanted to wish you good luck with your move. I have a little tot as well. He was born here though, so I can't offer you any advice. Just to wish you all the best.

We belong to a play group. We have one more week of this term left, then a break until the week of the 9th October, then that term goes through until the week of the 11th of December. So you may be able to join a play group before February.

Katie
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:16 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Could I point out HE'S 2 YEARS OLD FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!

He'll adjust in about 30 seconds if you let him!!
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:38 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar

Ever the measured response. How many two year olds did you bring out with you?
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Try not to worry too much as at that age they can't really do much other than pick up on your stress. I would buy a book about a plane journey if you like, just be ready to answer their questions. It is possible to overtax someone so young. I think getting them involved in choosing stuff to take is key, and make sure they have some familiar stuff with them. They'll have what they really need and thats you. Perhaps you need to think about what you will need to have a stress free transition as possible into your new life.

Good luck.

All the best

Tracey.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 4:53 am
Just Joined

rushonin is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there, we moved to melbourne 2 years ago with a 2 year old (he turned 2 the week before we moved) and a 6 month old. Neithe r of them batted an eye lid. Luckily they were young enough that the change didn't effect them.

However like you, we were worried. They day we arrived (bleary eyed and jet lagged)we bought our 2 year old a bed...as opposed to the cot he had in the uk, and some Bob the Builder bedding to make him feel special and a couple of new toys..........he was happy...easy!! He thought the whole adventure was great.

Now my kids are 2 and 4 and love it here, well it is all they every really remember, unfortunately my 4 year old does not remember life in the uk. But in some ways it is better that way because they cannot ask to go back. We show the kids photos of people and places we knew and that seems to be enough.

Good luck.....where are you moving to in melb....happy to do a little bit of research into playgroups and things for you, or you can look up Playgroups Victoria on the web and type in where you'll be living and you'll get a list of playgroups....it might put your mind at ease.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:07 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Ever the measured response. How many two year olds did you bring out with you?
I brought one out with me old enough to actually know what was going on and leaving friends/life in UK etc. Strangely enough - he (and we) coped without support from 'the forum'
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rushonin
Now my kids are 2 and 4 and love it here, well it is all they every really remember, unfortunately my 4 year old does not remember life in the uk. But in some ways it is better that way because they cannot ask to go back. We show the kids photos of people and places we knew and that seems to be enough.

My kids are the same age but I think inevitably they'll always be curious about UK so I'm gonna make a video montage about their life as it is now (bad weather and all) that way they can look back in the sunshine and see the place for what it was, we do live in a nice place so it won't be a big problem but I think in the future hopefully it will satisfy their curiosity.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:49 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar

Hear Hear!! Someone actually talking sense

This child won't give a flying f*** where he is as long as he's with his mum and dad. If this is the OP's biggest worry then they have none. I'd be more concerned about finding a home and a job!
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Sara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by artep

This child won't give a flying f*** where he is as long as he's with his mum and dad. If this is the OP's biggest worry then they have none. I'd be more concerned about finding a home and a job!

Why do you need to be critical of the original poster ? They are just asking for a bit of reassurance............
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:45 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep

Actually they dont know what they are talking about.

A toddler is not yet able to communicate back. You could at least provide the OP with more inspiration than blanket comments. 30 seconds my ##se. You are would be little comfort to the guy at
A parent is very concerned about the wellbeing of their young ones so it plays on their mind (which is in itself stress).2am in the morning dealing with night terrors.
Making it out to be a minor worry is wrong - you both should know better.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:50 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know whether a 3 year old qualifies as toddler but my just 3 year old was heartbroken when we moved here. She was toilet trained, she started wetting again. She constantly mentioned England, her grandparents, her nursery, pretty much everything actually. It took us 6 months to get her sorted out. Don't underestimate how much a 2 year old is familiar with. All ages bring with them their own challenges when emigrating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.