Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any tips for flying to Perth with our 11 month old

Any tips for flying to Perth with our 11 month old

Old Jul 29th 2003, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Perthbound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any tips for flying to Perth with our 11 month old

We are off to Perth in a couple of weeks with our 11 month old daughter. Any tips for the flight, is there anything harmless and totally safe, she could have to keep her a little subdued, or should we keep her up the night before then shes tired etc. We are not worried about this, just thought it would be an idea to see if you guys had any decent tips we could use. We have a few new (quiet) toys for the flight and a couple of books.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 12:59 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any tips for flying to Perth with our 11 month old

Hi Perthbound

We have taken both of our kids on some long haul flights and thankfully I can say that the worrying beforehand has been a lot worse than the actual flight.

We did give our little boy some anti-histamine medicine (he had been pescribed it before people fly off) that has a side effect of making them drowsy. Speak to your GP he will be able to give you some advice.

You will find that if you approach the flight with a positive attitude and bear in mind that it is just a few hours out of your life and your there. Kids cry its a fact of life and its not as though they can throw you out of the plane is it.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi Perthbound,

I'll have to speak to Heather later, and try and get some thoughts for you but in the meantime,

I wouldn't keep her tired, checking in is hassle enough without your little cherub being stroppy.

Depnding on who you go with, you should get set back TV, possibly with self selection so you get programs to start when you want them. Obviously, they don't have much for that age group but ours did that run when he as 9 months and it kept him entertained for while.

Make sure you have some snacks and drinks but be aware you'd have to dump them on arrival. Sometimes the airlines can leave alot of time between meals.

We found some drawing stuff to be pretty good. Pencil (limited mess) rather than felt tips..

If you've ordered a child's meal, make sure they've got it listed. We have missed out on virtually every long haul regardless of airline.

If you're going through Singapore, there's a nice little play area near the cactus garden in terminal 1 which is a good one to let off a bit of steam.

Sorry if this is all a bit obvious.

As I say, I'll talk to my wife later and see if she can come up with more ideas. At the end of the day, we were surprised by the amount of time Jack was asleep.

Good luck

BTW Did I mention Daddy's little helper aka family sized bottle of Calpol

Last edited by Nibbs; Jul 29th 2003 at 1:02 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any tips for flying to Perth with our 11 month old

Think of us poor sods...... we have a 5 month, just 2 and nearly 6. All full of beans boys. Flight to Florida was bad enough with the two of them. Its no wonder my hubby was spending 20 mins a time going to the loo......

Dont care though.... its one way this time.

Last edited by wolfens_wife; Jul 29th 2003 at 6:58 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

I took my daughter to perth when she was 15 months and hubby stayed at home( the canny bugger) I got favoured treatment by Singapore airlines. I was allowed to go on the plane before everyone else. Make sure you let everyone know you have little ones with you!!!!
You should make sure you get a cot in front of you on the wall (I did) very ,very useful.
You could get some phenagen from the doctors which helps little ones to sleep, or get medised which you get from the chemist and this helps them to sleep and relieves headaches etc.
You can walk around the airplane with them (as I did) and the cabin crew are so helpful.
I maust admit that I just let my babe sleep when she wanted to. Picture books are good and some of their favourite small toys to cuddle.
I bought plenty of chewy things for her as this helped with the ears popping problem!!! and loads to drink.
It wasnt as bad as I had imagined it would be. My daughter was walking and I kept her on baby reins all the time for security.

good luck and best wishes
BooBoo
Old Jul 29th 2003, 3:34 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by booboo
hi

I took my daughter to perth when she was 15 months and hubby stayed at home( the canny bugger) I got favoured treatment by Singapore airlines. I was allowed to go on the plane before everyone else. Make sure you let everyone know you have little ones with you!!!!
You should make sure you get a cot in front of you on the wall (I did) very ,very useful.
You could get some phenagen from the doctors which helps little ones to sleep, or get medised which you get from the chemist and this helps them to sleep and relieves headaches etc.
You can walk around the airplane with them (as I did) and the cabin crew are so helpful.
I maust admit that I just let my babe sleep when she wanted to. Picture books are good and some of their favourite small toys to cuddle.
I bought plenty of chewy things for her as this helped with the ears popping problem!!! and loads to drink.
It wasnt as bad as I had imagined it would be. My daughter was walking and I kept her on baby reins all the time for security.

good luck and best wishes
BooBoo

Can I also suggest that you make sure your kids don't kick the seat in front! Nothing more annoying that being on a plane for twelve hours without some stroppy kid kicking the shit out of your back when you are trying to sleep, and the parents not even caring

Of course, not having had the experience of travelling with kids of my own yet, I have no idea if is really is irresponsible parents, or just so damn hard to keep the kids busy/calm/sleeping
Old Jul 29th 2003, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so far, we have already pre-booked the front row window seats for all four flights, so we get the basket and the room, went on their website and looked at the aircraft seating plan before we booked.

Any more thoughts still welcome. I will post my thoughts about Perth on our return.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi Perthbound,

I've just been ritulisticually abused by wife for suggesting Calpol.

Apparently 12 years in a Nursing uniform and you know about medicine. (Not sure how that works in Raymonds Reveue Bar but there you go).

As BooBoo said, The advice apparently is Medised as it contains anti-histimine (spollung?) which not helps little 'uns sleep but also keeps their airways clear.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nibbs
Hi Perthbound,

I've just been ritulisticually abused by wife for suggesting Calpol.

Apparently 12 years in a Nursing uniform and you know about medicine. (Not sure how that works in Raymonds Reveue Bar but there you go).

As BooBoo said, The advice apparently is Medised as it contains anti-histimine (spollung?) which not helps little 'uns sleep but also keeps their airways clear.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Bring a big bottle of Calpol anyway as you can't get it here. Sure there are alternatives but 2 of my kids aged 4 won't touch anything bar Calpol. I even put red food colouring in some of that white Nurofen for kids but they weren't having it.

As for the flight. The first time we did it was exactly a year ago with 3 year old twins and a boy nearly 5.

We flew Emirates that time then Singapore the next. We chose these airlines because they guaranteed seat back screens.

We used Vallergan, an antihistmine to knock them out for the long legs of the flight but as with Phenagan you will need to test it out on them before as it can have the opposite effect to the desired one. Consult the doctor on the dose as the one given in the blurb with the Vallergan is for a full on Pre-Med dose.

Favourite toys, blankets. Get to the airport early and try to persuade the check in staff to let you have a spare seat next to you if the flight isn't full. (I guess at 11 months they will not have a seat allocated to them).

Don't worry about it too much, with just the one I'm sure you'll be fine.

As to kids kicking the back of the chair. Do what I did, just turn around and tell them to stop.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Hi there,
We've done several long hauls, once from Perth when our daughter was 12 months old. I strongly suggest phenegen but do check with your doc first. She slept for nearly all of the major leg ( Singapore - London) which was by far the best thing for her, ie, much happier at the other end. I'm certainly not into drugging my kids, but after all the hassle of getting to the airport, delayed planes etc etc the last thing you need is a screaming kid for 24 hours!
We're off back to Perth in Sept with my daughter (now 4) and son 18 months. Phenegen here we come!!!
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

You will probably find that with most of the uk-far east flights leaving in the evening your little one will sleep for most of the flight anyway without having to resort to drugs, it is much easier travelling with an infant than a toddler so dont stress about it.

God, you think its bugging having kids kick the back of your seat when they dont understand that it is annoying for the people in front, its nothing compared with being told how to handle your children by someone who has no idea what they are talking about! I have been bothered by getting my back bashed by the person sitting behind me but it's never been a child, always an adult with long legs! No offence intended but try showing a little sympathy for people travelling with children you can never know how hard it is, even without all the dissaproving comments.

Lynn
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I used Phenergan when my eldest son was small. I thinkyou have to have it prescribed by a doctor though. If you can't gethold of any I would say Medised is just as effective.

A tip if you have older kids, buy those herbal Nytol tablets -bl***y brilliant! I gave the two youngest that were 3 and 5 half a tab and the 11 year old 1 tablet. They slept like babies for hours. When they woke up they felt so much better for the sleep. My kids are hardened travellers, but you know how awful children behave when they are tired.
I don't see the point in letting them suffer when you can give them a bit of assisstance! By the way I took a couple and slept pretty well as well.

Good luck
Old Aug 31st 2003, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the above advice. We have now returned from the wonderful Perth. All four flights were superb and our daughter was absolutely brilliant on all of them. The key to it, for us anyway, was dont let her sleep all through the flight, as many parents did. Limit the amount of sleep your baby has so when you get there they are ready for a sleep (we arrived at teatime) Our daughter then had 12 hours on her first night in Perth and woke up at 8 o'clock the following morning, ready for her adventure, no jet lag no tantrums. Just use some common sense. If you allow your child to be drugged up to get them through the flight then you will suffer the consequences when you get there with disrupted sleep patterns etc. Many people on the plane home had suffered this fate.
Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why Perth?

Why is everyone going to Perth?

Is anyone here going to Sydney?

I here the free on board scotch keeps the kiddies very quiet.
Old Aug 31st 2003, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Perth?

Originally posted by bondipom
Why is everyone going to Perth?

Is anyone here going to Sydney?

I here the free on board scotch keeps the kiddies very quiet.
Take a big pack of chocolate biscuits - an "if all else fails" measure! Watch out they don't eat too many and puke up though!!!
Also, generally you tend to worry about your child's noise more than other people do, unless they've got a bit of a problem. (Do I mean the child/the annoyed person or both?!!!) We usually find that some people are so bored with the flight that they start chatting to us and to our baby.
If you're travelling with your partner, it may also be worth taking it in turns to do baby duty if possible, so one gets a rest at a time. Don't know how easy this will be if you're all squashed up though!!
Take a favourite blanket to snuggle or comforter- next time we fly I might take our baby sleeping bag as he can't wriggle about as much in it!!
Hope all goes well
Larissa
Perth bound Xmas 2004 or pulling my hair out! :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.