Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Tips / Advice / Inside info for when we land?

Wikiposts

Any Tips / Advice / Inside info for when we land?

Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any Tips / Advice / Inside info for when we land?

Originally Posted by perksy
Hi, we fly on friday to Perth, everything seems to be in order and going smoothly so far. I'm now pacing the house wondering if I've got everything in order for when we land in Australia (We have the obvious things sorted like accomodation, car hire, currency, bank accounts set up)

So I'm seeking any advice/tips or inside info from those who have already made the move and may be able to pass on any useful knowledge to us. That we may not have thought of.

Many thanks

Sometimes its the little things that help, i think its easier here in Oz though, its more like the UK. When i moved to New Zealand back in 05 i arrived in the afternoon with no sleep, arrived at my work provided room/cell really needing a shower. I couldnt find any towels, so walked to town to buy some, ended up finding a place called the linen cupboard, bought a couple of towels, not thinking properly. Got back to the cell realised i just paid 150bucks for a couple of towels, i had a shower, then went to crawl into the bed when i shut the inner door. On the back of that door was two big blue free towels.

So, you can buy your towels from Harvey norman, Big W, target and many other places.

if your ever in New Zealand, Lower Hutt, you can only buy your towels from Briscos. I think they might have closed though, so guess you go poor or wet.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:52 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again everyone

Its time for me to sign off here in the UK (gotta go weigh my cases!!!!) Tried but failed to get extra baggage allowance, instead got told it was £39 per kg over the 20 (maylasia airlines)

Thanks again and next time I log on here i'll be in Oz. Good luck everyone

Perksy
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

all the best m8 hope you all have a safe trip , will be following you shortly you lucky b@@@ers !!!!cheers swagman
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:45 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Good luck on your move...I would say to rent where YOU like and not just to be near friends or family no matter how much they tell you it's great etc (we did not know a sole so did not have that problem) rent for a while and really take time to see both North/South and the Hills area of Perth before you decide on a certain area (we know lots of people both south & north of the river who do not a great deal other than area's around the area's they live in and that's a shame as appart from Rush hour it's fairly easy to get from A to B) look at schools ratings for the area you like....some suburbs look lovely but can also have poor school ratings. If you have children and come on a Permanent Residency visa ....not sure about the other visa's...so many nowadays but you can claim Child Allowance. Get your tax file asap you cannot work without one even if you are not planning to work. Having an Aussie Drivers license is great for I.D but remember you have to sit a multi choice first. DONT give up your bank accounts in the U.K always handy for paying money into for friends/family birthdays etc and visa/versa......
Good luck and all the best.....
I think these are cool tips. Another one might be as follows: If part of the reason for moving to Oz is because you want a change for your family, then concentrate on taking positive steps to make a change...e.g. live in an environment different from your old one, think hard about the kind of work you will undertake and its impacts on your lives.

For many people these things might come naturally, but I believe that there are many who move to Australia and find themselves in a very similar situation to that which they left in the UK....and that's where the phrase "same sh*t ....." comes into play.

good luck !!