Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Tips / Advice / Inside info for when we land?

Any Tips / Advice / Inside info for when we land?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:29 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any Tips / Advice / Inside info for when we land?

Hi, we fly on friday to Perth, everything seems to be in order and going smoothly so far. I'm now pacing the house wondering if I've got everything in order for when we land in Australia (We have the obvious things sorted like accomodation, car hire, currency, bank accounts set up)

So I'm seeking any advice/tips or inside info from those who have already made the move and may be able to pass on any useful knowledge to us. That we may not have thought of.

Many thanks
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Tips / Advice / Inside info for when we land?

Originally Posted by perksy
Hi, we fly on friday to Perth, everything seems to be in order and going smoothly so far. I'm now pacing the house wondering if I've got everything in order for when we land in Australia (We have the obvious things sorted like accomodation, car hire, currency, bank accounts set up)

So I'm seeking any advice/tips or inside info from those who have already made the move and may be able to pass on any useful knowledge to us. That we may not have thought of.

Many thanks
Only one:
Turn your watch back 15 years.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:18 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Only one:
Turn your watch back 15 years.

Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

That is right but in a lot of ways it's a positive thing. It's very laid back, which helps with the stress levels. There isn't as much competitiveness with people or shops etc.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Yes. See the Top Tips sticky at the top of the Australia page
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:53 am
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Big tip that didn't I didn't listen to then wished I had:

1. stick to the speed limits here - you can't get away with it here and if it's not a speed camera (which are all hidden) the nice policman hide in the bushes to get you. It's really hard to do at first as the roads are so wide and straight and easy to drive on (well some drivers here seem to have problems driving on big wide straight roads but that's another thread

2. keep your driving licence with you as if you get stopped and you haven't got it they can give you an extra fine on top

I got lots of demerit points and had to pay a massive fine. Won't do that again ever.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists...
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Good luck on your move...I would say to rent where YOU like and not just to be near friends or family no matter how much they tell you it's great etc (we did not know a sole so did not have that problem) rent for a while and really take time to see both North/South and the Hills area of Perth before you decide on a certain area (we know lots of people both south & north of the river who do not a great deal other than area's around the area's they live in and that's a shame as appart from Rush hour it's fairly easy to get from A to B) look at schools ratings for the area you like....some suburbs look lovely but can also have poor school ratings. If you have children and come on a Permanent Residency visa ....not sure about the other visa's...so many nowadays but you can claim Child Allowance. Get your tax file asap you cannot work without one even if you are not planning to work. Having an Aussie Drivers license is great for I.D but remember you have to sit a multi choice first. DONT give up your bank accounts in the U.K always handy for paying money into for friends/family birthdays etc and visa/versa......
Good luck and all the best.....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

I knew I had this saved as a favourite somewhere...

Living in Australia - Things to do first
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

[QUOTE=brits1;7224663] Having an Aussie Drivers license is great for I.D but remember you have to sit a multi choice first. ......
QUOTE]

Even easier now, you don't have to sit any tests. Just pop into your local office, take your docs (passport etc) and pay up. Be warned though, they take a photo there and then, you don't see it until it appears on your licence FOR EVER !! I knew I should have washed my hair and put some lippy on !!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

More advice...... bring loads of travel adaptors with you. I got mine from the pound shop and only brought 2 with us. Wished I'd have brought at least 5. Although you chnage plugs on most things, some things you can't. You'll need them for anything that has a transformer on, eg chargers for games consoles, mobiles etc. They also come in handy for things you only use once in a while.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:28 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ShoreyM
More advice...... bring loads of travel adaptors with you. I got mine from the pound shop and only brought 2 with us. Wished I'd have brought at least 5. Although you chnage plugs on most things, some things you can't. You'll need them for anything that has a transformer on, eg chargers for games consoles, mobiles etc. They also come in handy for things you only use once in a while.
bring loads of 5 way extensions and only change the end to an ozzie plug and you will be fine best tip i ever had
lesley x
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:41 am
Cad and bounder

Thanks for all your replies guys

Its always nice to hear extra bits of useful info from people who have already made the move. I must make a serious mental note about speeding though because in the UK I have a seriously heavy right boot but hopefully the change of lifestyle to a slower pace will sort that problem.

I've also had the good sense to get an 8 socket multigang with an Aussie plug on it so that will see us through the short term.

Thanks again everyone for being helpful.

See you all in sunny Oz
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Weigh ur suitcases! LOL
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

movingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you need to register as a new migrant when you land or does the fact you came in on a one way ticket pass your information straight through to immigration?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.