Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on returning?

View Poll Results: Any thoughts on returning?
Often, I stay because I have to.....
16.98%
Sometimes, I stay because I want to....
35.85%
Never, this is HOME.
50.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Any thoughts on returning?

Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about
Question Any thoughts on returning?

Just a quick question to all you people who are lucky? enough to have emigrated to Australia.
Do you ever SERIOUSLY consider going back?
It's just that after reading a lot of posts both on here and on the Moving back forum, I notice that a lot of people seem to move back and then wish they hadn't. This has made me think a lot... I do sometimes consider going back, although one of the things which keeps me here is realising that the place that I want to go back to, no longer exists.... People and places change and move on while you are away, but then I think... Australia is a wonderful country and I am very lucky to be living here, but does it ever REALLY become home? And so it goes on, I find myself going round and round in circles, I definitely want to go back...but then I definitely want to stay!
On the other hand, I have also spoken to a number people who have been living here for 20 or 30 odd years and wish they'd gone back years ago, and say they always planned to "one day" but have realised that they have now left it too late and it is no longer an option, so they stay but are not happy.
I don't want to end up like this either.
So I just thought I'd like to know how many people are 100% happy that they are here and how many here do actually think of returning "one day"?
Please be honest.
I've tried to add a poll to this thread, but I'm not sure whether or not I will be able to attach it properly.....?!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:52 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any thoughts on returning?

Nope but would have no problems returning to life in the UK.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:58 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom

same as - this is my home, I love it here but I loved in the UK also.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mlbonner
same as - this is my home, I love it here but I loved in the UK also.
Me too - love it here but love Wales too.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

I love it here - you wouldn't get me back to blighty even if you paid me!!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:13 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Just a quick question to all you people who are lucky? enough to have emigrated to Australia.
It's just that after reading a lot of posts both on here and on the Moving back forum, I notice that a lot of people seem to move back and then wish they hadn't. This has made me think a lot... I do sometimes consider going back, although one of the things which keeps me here is realising that the place that I want to go back to, no longer exists.... People and places change and move on while you are away, but then I think... Australia is a wonderful country and I am very lucky to be living here, but does it ever REALLY become home? And so it goes on, I find myself going round and round in circles, I definitely want to go back...but then I definitely want to stay!
On the other hand, I have also spoken to a number people who have been living here for 20 or 30 odd years and wish they'd gone back years ago, and say they always planned to "one day" but have realised that they have now left it too late and it is no longer an option, so they stay but are not happy.
I don't want to end up like this either.
So I just thought I'd like to know how many people are 100% happy that they are here and how many here do actually think of returning "one day"?
Please be honest.
I've tried to add a poll to this thread, but I'm not sure whether or not I will be able to attach it properly.....?!
Well...I've put "Never, this is home" but actually if there's anything I've learned in life...it's never to say "never".

I suppose we're lucky as we took a pot luck gamble [after lots and lots of thoretical research] and we feel the Aussie life is for us.

I have lived somewhere abroad that I hated....and so understand fully when that niggle is there and you can't seem to settle. In those circumstances I personally think you have to give it your best shot [however long that takes is down to the individual] and then make the decision that's right for you.........and buggar what anyone else thinks.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I'm sure you'll make the right decision that's right for you

Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:16 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i put sometimes. but that's really so that i might earn a bit of extra cash for a few years. ultimately there's not enough (apart from family/friends) that i miss about the uk that would make me want to go back, and there's plenty of things about my new life that i would miss if i went back.

but i agree, never say never.

Last edited by brisnick; Mar 29th 2005 at 3:18 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:20 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Sometimes.
I say that it suits us for now, but if we get bored or unhappy then we'll move on.
I do love our current life in Oz, but things may change who knows?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:22 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bondipom
Congrats on your 10K post!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:27 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Congrats on your 10K post!
Thanks. I'll do a Halle Berry Oscar style speech later. I am whoring for Karma here.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293206
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:33 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

No I don't consider it , it is a definite conclusion with us ( myself and hubby)
Yes we will go back.This is not my home. Haven't got a prob of living and working in any country, but not forever, Western or Asian etc etc, both which I have done ( been an expat for about 13 years) .

But none of them are my real home. I didn't emigrate forever in the first place, and wasn't escaping anything ( except my mum in law lol)
- it was purely work related ( setting up companies for an american firm in SEA initially, same sort of reason came to Aus) and the challenge/nose.

I didn't emigrate with the intention it's forever,it was just the job, and the nose. I shall be buried where I was born
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:03 pm
ABCDiamond

It's just that after reading a lot of posts both on here and on the Moving back forum, I notice that a lot of people seem to move back and then wish they hadn't. This has made me think a lot...
I would have answered the first option originally, but then I did go back to the UK, and returned here again, and here is now home

(To Ceri)
I'll be buried where I die !! Saves transportation costs

Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:10 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
(To Ceri)
I'll be buried where I die !! Saves transportation costs
I said " buried where I was born " lol mind you the hospital ward may have something to say about that.

aye I'd be most miffed off I was run over by the number 20 bus tomorrow. I will come back and haunt hubby or anyone else that doesn't fly my body back home to Wales to be buried and I'm stuck in the ground forever in Qld lol
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

I agree with "never say never". But if for some reason we had to go back to the UK - we'd be happy enough there - after adjusting our mind set. But it's certainly not an issue we're considering at all - since things are great and falling into place........so far
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:20 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

No thoughts of returning at all but we have only been here for less than 5 months so it is early days I suppose.

Additionally DIMIA could decide for us as we are on a temp visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.