Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Tax Agents willing to give advice ?

Any Tax Agents willing to give advice ?

Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold
Default Any Tax Agents willing to give advice ?

My 30 year old daughter has been living in the UK for the past 6 years working and more recently studying. She has $ 30 000 invested in a term deposit which is accruing interest. She has recently been advised that she must submit a tax return but has found the on line form and questions very confusing eg. she doesn't know whether she is still classified as an Australian citizen or a overseas one.

Questions 1) Would she be penilised if she doesn't submit a tax return but wait until she returns to Oz in about 3 years ? Would she accure penalties ? 2) When are you classified as an overseas citizen eg how long have to to live overseas ?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
I like tea
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Tax Agents willing to give advice ?

Originally Posted by I like tea
My 30 year old daughter has been living in the UK for the past 6 years working and more recently studying. She has $ 30 000 invested in a term deposit which is accruing interest. She has recently been advised that she must submit a tax return but has found the on line form and questions very confusing eg. she doesn't know whether she is still classified as an Australian citizen or a overseas one.

Questions 1) Would she be penilised if she doesn't submit a tax return but wait until she returns to Oz in about 3 years ? Would she accure penalties ? 2) When are you classified as an overseas citizen eg how long have to to live overseas ?

I like tea
she is certainly a UK tax resident, and should have been reporting the interest every your to the UK tax people. Does she have Australian citizenship?
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for your reply. My daughter is an Australian citizen with dual nationality.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I like tea

I like tea
It is tax residency status that matters, not citizenship. If she has been living in UK for 6 years then for sure she is a tax resident of UK.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

I presume the term deposit is in Australia. If so, then if she has notified the banks that she has an overseas address then they will have automatically deducted withholding tax of 10% - this will be a final tax and given that 1) she is not resident for Australian tax purposes (likely after 6 years in the UK) and 2) she has no other Australian income, then she will have no requirement to lodge an Australian tax return. If she hasn't notified an overseas address (and has, for example, used your address) then she needs to notify the banks as soon as possible and you should contact a tax agent to make any outstanding payments.

She should also include the interest income in her UK tax return, and claim an offset for the 10% withholding tax paid, so there is no double taxation.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fardell
I presume the term deposit is in Australia. If so, then if she has notified the banks that she has an overseas address then they will have automatically deducted withholding tax of 10% - this will be a final tax and given that 1) she is not resident for Australian tax purposes (likely after 6 years in the UK) and 2) she has no other Australian income, then she will have no requirement to lodge an Australian tax return. If she hasn't notified an overseas address (and has, for example, used your address) then she needs to notify the banks as soon as possible and you should contact a tax agent to make any outstanding payments.

She should also include the interest income in her UK tax return, and claim an offset for the 10% withholding tax paid, so there is no double taxation.
Should she actually be submitting a uk tax return? Usually the HMRC asks for a tax return if your tax affairs are simple. More often than not they don't want to know.. Ie salary and a bit of interest. Because the income is made in australia shouldn't she submit the tax return in Australia? I have no idea really but its ATO seem like they painfully annoying than the HMRC are for those with a salary and a bit of interest.