Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any taken the PC?

Any taken the PC?

Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

RaZoR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any taken the PC?

Hello all! Im thinking of moving to Aussie next june with my Fiancee I have a very high spec PC and is expensive. I was wondering if there is anything i need to consider like different voltages etc. I did look on the net and uk voltage is the same but im not to sure.

Also im on about taking my car, it kinda rare car here and its unique from the others ive seen. Its worth £1500, is it worth it? Anyone know a company who can supply me web addy's or numbers for quotations for a 20ft conatainer that will hold a car aswell as a few furniture. Sorry for the mouthful off questions lol!
I really need a point in the right direction!

Thank you
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:44 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any taken the PC?

Bring your PC. The voltage is the same here, so all you'll need to do is buy a new power cord with an Aussie plug - and a surge protector because Aussie plugs don't have fuses in them

As for the car ... I don't know all the answers but I reckon it will cost you more than the car's worth to ship it. It will need to pass a strict test to allow you to register it, then you may have the problem of parts & service, etc. We used Crown for our removals and I'm pretty sure they can advise on the car too.

Finally, this forum is actually for questions regarding the actual visa application process. This kind of question is better suited to the Lifestyle forum.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Bring your PC. The voltage is the same here, so all you'll need to do is buy a new power cord with an Aussie plug - and a surge protector because Aussie plugs don't have fuses in them

As for the car ... I don't know all the answers but I reckon it will cost you more than the car's worth to ship it. It will need to pass a strict test to allow you to register it, then you may have the problem of parts & service, etc. We used Crown for our removals and I'm pretty sure they can advise on the car too.

Finally, this forum is actually for questions regarding the actual visa application process. This kind of question is better suited to the Lifestyle forum.
I've moved the thread now
Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:47 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely bring it. Bug when you pack it, make sure you lie it on its side, not upright on its feet.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:16 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Definitely bring it. Bug when you pack it, make sure you lie it on its side, not upright on its feet.
How dya lie a CAR on its side ?? ( carefully lol )
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Daka is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought over a PC and 2 flat screen monitors. Arrived safely.
We had kept original boxes which the packers used to pack them in.
Be careful about packing things yourself as this can invalidate insurance - packers will write on box 'packed by owner'.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:55 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RaZoR
Hello all! Im thinking of moving to Aussie next june with my Fiancee I have a very high spec PC and is expensive. I was wondering if there is anything i need to consider like different voltages etc. I did look on the net and uk voltage is the same but im not to sure.

Also im on about taking my car, it kinda rare car here and its unique from the others ive seen. Its worth £1500, is it worth it? Anyone know a company who can supply me web addy's or numbers for quotations for a 20ft conatainer that will hold a car aswell as a few furniture. Sorry for the mouthful off questions lol!
I really need a point in the right direction!

Thank you
Car isnt worth it. Check out how much it will be to ship (it will have to be seperated from the container this end), then you will have to pay import duty, GST and of course pay to have it registered again and the inspection costs....towing...blah blah blah.

PC is fine. Just bring a UK surge protector board if you have one, chop the plug off the end and put an australian plug on it. Job done.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:59 am
Just Joined

RaZoR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the info! Keep it coming! Thanks for moving the thread! im new to this! I dont know how to lie a car on its side though But i wouldnt as it would scratch the paint work

Packing the pc i was worried about, i have some of the original packing, would surrounding the pc with foam in a box be ok? Im glad i can take it
A bit gutted about the car expense, Il get it valued with my contents and see what they say, i really love it!

Thanks again! Keep up the info with companys the more the better everyone else can get quotes for there needs aswell!