Reload this Page >

Any suggestions ?

Any suggestions ?

Old Jan 31st 2006, 3:18 am
Just Joined

Poppy318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any suggestions ?

Hey everyone,

We moved out to Australia in August. I am Australian returning home and my husband is English. We finally got the paperwork etc sorted and we made the exciting flight out at the begining of August.

I am after any suggestions from long term expats that have moved and how did they cope being away from friends and family. He is really struggling at the moment being away from his home - no job (his contract finished up the week before Christmas), no family and none of his friends.

What would you suggest ? Is there any meetings for expats ? How would you suggest he makes his own friends ?

Thanks for your advice
Poppy
Old Jan 31st 2006, 3:40 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any suggestions ?

Originally Posted by Poppy318
Hey everyone,

We moved out to Australia in August. I am Australian returning home and my husband is English. We finally got the paperwork etc sorted and we made the exciting flight out at the begining of August.

I am after any suggestions from long term expats that have moved and how did they cope being away from friends and family. He is really struggling at the moment being away from his home - no job (his contract finished up the week before Christmas), no family and none of his friends.

What would you suggest ? Is there any meetings for expats ? How would you suggest he makes his own friends ?

Thanks for your advice
Poppy
Give us a clue where you are and that might help some of the suggestions.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

What would you suggest ? Is there any meetings for Expats ? How would you suggest he makes his own friends ?

Thanks for your advice
Poppy[/QUOTE]

Hi Poppy

My hubby and I moved to Brisbane from the UK last March. I have been struggling due to missing family. I find using MSN messenger really helps. I have joined a couple of mums and baby groups,and take bubs swimming. I find getting out of the house helps. Maybe your hubby could do a couple of evening classes or join a gym. I found it was being stuck in the house that was the worse thing. There are meet ups that are arranged on the site from time to time, so are worth watching out for.

Wish your hubby luck from me.
Katie
Old Jan 31st 2006, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Ben and I moved to Melbourne last April - and have also been missing friends and family, mader slighlty worse by the fact that we had a baby (so we also now have a true blue aussie in the family now) in October.

It was easiwer for me to settle than Ben because I work in the city and he works from home - so I automatically met loads of people through work and my office are a sociable lot so there's plenty of work nights out. Ben has met people through joining our local golf club and through some golf related websites now and is much happier.

We would also recommend messenger (msn / yahoo / skype) and voice over IP and a webcam. Again, the regular meet ups are good (even if your hubby came with the intention of meeting aussiesand not getting stuck in little britain) - as they're a good laugh (usually). Phonecalls home aren't that expensive and I found that my firends in the UK are brilliant - they still invite me along to their nights out (even just to the regular thursday night beer and curry) so I know they're all still thinking about me - makes me feel part of what'sa going on - so I don't miss them all quite so much.

Its a great life though and, even though I miss people, I wouldn't go back (yet)