Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Submariners transferring/transferred to Ran?

Any Submariners transferring/transferred to Ran?

Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all
Default Any Submariners transferring/transferred to Ran?

Hi

My partner has recently applied to transfer from RN to RAN - hopefully as a submariner as he is now. Are there any other submariners transferring/transferred to RAN? Any information on OZ RAN conditions/lifestyle would be appreciated.

Regards
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:53 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice
Default Re: Any Submariners transferring/transferred to Ran?

Originally Posted by handbagmad
Hi

My partner has recently applied to transfer from RN to RAN - hopefully as a submariner as he is now. Are there any other submariners transferring/transferred to RAN? Any information on OZ RAN conditions/lifestyle would be appreciated.

Regards
just bookmarking cos this will be interesting. X
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:52 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Hi

Regards
There is a series on SBS TV over here at the moment (Friday Evening) about one of the Collins class boats HMAS Rankin. Its a repeat, about 2-3 years old.
The DVD of the series is out, at Dymocks bookstore - heres the link.

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDet...=9786000160968

I've watched the last 3 episodes, but missed the first part of the series, so I'm probably going to buy a copy, if I do I'll let you know. To sum up so far, they have had a lot of breakdowns, Boat seems to spend a lot of time on the roof, they are on a six month deployment - no fifth watch, the skipper is a 2 1/2 ringer, who sound like a Pom, you have to earn your dolphins all over again, as one of the crew in the series did who was ex RN. They have females in the crew (do they have females in RN boats yet?)

Lots of similarities on the Oz boats, apart from being Diesel, not nuclear powered, otherwise I might have been tempted to join. I'm an ex RN submariner, CPOMEA (Reactor Panel Operator - a real engine, not diesel semi-submersibles) on Trafalger & Swiftsure.

I can't tell you anything about the lifestyle I'm afraid. I believe the boats run out of Garden Island in WA.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all

Hi Bluerobot

Thanks for that info, it seems that the boat my Oh is on is the same - that keeps breaking down, if they did a TV series on his boat no one would join!! No, we don't have females on submarines yet - only surface ships - but give it time! I heard the base was in Perth for submarines - got to be better than Faslane. We are lucky Oh is based in Plymouth.

If you come across any other info I'd appreciate it if you would let me know.

Regards
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bluerobot

Thanks for that info, it seems that the boat my Oh is on is the same - that keeps breaking down, if they did a TV series on his boat no one would join!! No, we don't have females on submarines yet - only surface ships - but give it time! I heard the base was in Perth for submarines - got to be better than Faslane. We are lucky Oh is based in Plymouth.

If you come across any other info I'd appreciate it if you would let me know.

Regards
John was a submariner 22 years before we came to Oz last year, He does tiling now !
Many times i said goodbye to him thinking i wouldn't see him again for a few months, then get a phone call saying the boat had broken down again ...

Nicky
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

I've lost count of the amount of times that has happened to us - or they haven't come back on time. Can't book any holidays until the boat is back to base - then the price has shot up on the flights!! But apart from that it's not too bad - good social do's!!!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:09 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bluerobot
There is a series on SBS TV over here at the moment (Friday Evening) about one of the Collins class boats HMAS Rankin. Its a repeat, about 2-3 years old.
The DVD of the series is out, at Dymocks bookstore - heres the link.

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDet...=9786000160968

I've watched the last 3 episodes, but missed the first part of the series, so I'm probably going to buy a copy, if I do I'll let you know. To sum up so far, they have had a lot of breakdowns, Boat seems to spend a lot of time on the roof, they are on a six month deployment - no fifth watch, the skipper is a 2 1/2 ringer, who sound like a Pom, you have to earn your dolphins all over again, as one of the crew in the series did who was ex RN. They have females in the crew (do they have females in RN boats yet?)

Lots of similarities on the Oz boats, apart from being Diesel, not nuclear powered, otherwise I might have been tempted to join. I'm an ex RN submariner, CPOMEA (Reactor Panel Operator - a real engine, not diesel semi-submersibles) on Trafalger & Swiftsure.

I can't tell you anything about the lifestyle I'm afraid. I believe the boats run out of Garden Island in WA.
That series was shown on one of the discovery channels last year here on Sky. Very interesting it was and it did show a lot about the families and what they go through aswell. They don't operate a 5th watch thing though on subs like they do over here, or at least they didn't when th programme went out which gave the impression that whenthe boat is away...they are all away with it.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Regards
I am an ex CRS (general service). Left the RN in Sep 03 and transferred to RAN 1 day later. I served in HMS Rankin after after joining boats but decided to return to general service because for me better promotion prospects. I left the RAN in June 07 after serving about 3 and a half years in the RAN. I am now a WA copper. Living in Rockingham. Please send me a private mail and my wife and myself can give you stacks of info. Our kids are 17 and 15.

Regards

Terry and Janice
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:31 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

I know RAN don't have nuclear subs and was wondering if there were any problems with tiffs fitting into RAN jobs. hubby is 21 years done all on nuclear subs, will there be more of a problem with him getting in do you think?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by terriefarrell
I know RAN don't have nuclear subs and was wondering if there were any problems with tiffs fitting into RAN jobs. hubby is 21 years done all on nuclear subs, will there be more of a problem with him getting in do you think?

Should not be a problem. Would expect him to join as a ET rate, probably PO level. If he joins boats you will be based at Fleet base West, Rockingham, Perth. Get the pension and run

Regards

Terry
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:38 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

Originally Posted by hutchy
Should not be a problem. Would expect him to join as a ET rate, probably PO level. If he joins boats you will be based at Fleet base West, Rockingham, Perth. Get the pension and run

Regards

Terry
He starts his WO2 course in November so will be qualified by the time we come out to Oz, would that mean he'd then drop down to chief or would it still be PO?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by terriefarrell
He starts his WO2 course in November so will be qualified by the time we come out to Oz, would that mean he'd then drop down to chief or would it still be PO?
It depends on what his job offer / Posting Order says.
I would check with the overseas recruiting people and push for the upper rank. Don't be shy either - if you don't ask you won't get..

I know the Aussie Army generally drop WO2 to SGT (PO?).
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:00 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

Originally Posted by njk435
It depends on what his job offer / Posting Order says.
I would check with the overseas recruiting people and push for the upper rank. Don't be shy either - if you don't ask you won't get..

I know the Aussie Army generally drop WO2 to SGT (PO?).
Thanks for that, we're quite aware that cost of living isn't as cheap in oz as it used to be so trying to make sure we aren't too much worse off by going, dropping one payscale isn't so bad, but two maybe a little hard to deal with but then he will be on his way out here having done 24 years by then so will have good pension and gratuity..
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

littlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nice

Hi,

Just some more info on the subject. I joined RAN GS 6 weeks ago. I was a CPOWEA in the RN and they offered CPOET which is their equivalent of WO2. I'm only holding provisional rate until I attend their CCQC and sit a board. I didn't fight for the CPO job and was expecting to drop to PO (Not really a drop!). I'm based in HMAS Stirling, Perth which is where the Subs are based. I work with an Ex RN submariner of some 13 years ago who told me they a screaming out for bodies. I'd hold out for the CPO job but I think it depends what they want at the time your application goes through. Would recommend WA as I've had no problems at all.

Littlenick's Hubby
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:28 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

Originally Posted by littlenick
Hi,

Just some more info on the subject. I joined RAN GS 6 weeks ago. I was a CPOWEA in the RN and they offered CPOET which is their equivalent of WO2. I'm only holding provisional rate until I attend their CCQC and sit a board. I didn't fight for the CPO job and was expecting to drop to PO (Not really a drop!). I'm based in HMAS Stirling, Perth which is where the Subs are based. I work with an Ex RN submariner of some 13 years ago who told me they a screaming out for bodies. I'd hold out for the CPO job but I think it depends what they want at the time your application goes through. Would recommend WA as I've had no problems at all.

Littlenick's Hubby
Ignore my ignorance but what is WA? (sorry dh isn't here and i don't understand all the tech jargon, just some!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.