Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any social workers out there?

any social workers out there?

Old Dec 31st 2006, 1:15 am
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice
Default any social workers out there?

Hi

Would like to hear from any social workers. My family and I hope to apply to emigrate this year and would welcome advise. I am a social worker. We are interested in moving to Eastern Australia.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 1:38 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any social workers out there?

I wear indian print skirts, long dangly earrings and jesus sandals.

Does that count
Old Jan 1st 2007, 2:45 am
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

Well I guess I kind of count as I have an MA/DipSW, but I've never worked as a proper social worker - I worked in an alcohol & drug project before I had my son, haven't worked outside the home for 6.5 years now

I was looking at SW work around the Melbourne area the other day as I'm hoping to go back to work in 2008 when my daughter will be starting school. At the moment it's too much of a headache even thinking about how the childcare would work around her kinder placement and my son at school. Besides, *whispers* I actually quite like being a SAHM.

What area of SW are you in? I think there are a fair few jobs about but a friend told me that sometimes it can be quite difficult for a pom to get a foot in the door.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 8:52 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spikey
I think there are a fair few jobs about but a friend told me that sometimes it can be quite difficult for a pom to get a foot in the door.
Thats because a DipSW is not recognised in OZ as a social work qualification. You can only work as a welfare/community worker with it.

You would need to upgrade the DipSW by further study, but you would get advanced standing for it, RPL (recognised prior learning).
Old Jan 1st 2007, 9:25 am
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Thats because a DipSW is not recognised in OZ as a social work qualification. You can only work as a welfare/community worker with it.

You would need to upgrade the DipSW by further study, but you would get advanced standing for it, RPL (recognised prior learning).
Maybe, I have the MA part though which I was told at the time and as far as I know still stands as being recognised both in Australia and the USA. It was why I went for the MA course rather than just the DipSw.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 10:15 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spikey
Maybe, I have the MA part though which I was told at the time and as far as I know still stands as being recognised both in Australia and the USA. It was why I went for the MA course rather than just the DipSw.
If your MA is in social work, you will have no problems getting work as a social worker.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 2:36 pm
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Thanks for your advice guys. I have an MSc Social Work, which is the same as an MA. I have contacted a social work agency- Propersonnel. Any idea what an average salary for a social worker is? I would prefer a community care type setting.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 2:49 pm
ClairePagani

Thumbs up Re: any social workers out there?

Sorry, also forgot to ask.
I have two young kids, 3 and 6. We really want to come to Australia to experience a coastal lifestyle but I wouldn't want to uproot them if I wasn't able to make a decent living from working as a social worker. My hubbie is a postman but probably wouldn't work till the youngest went to school. Is social work well established enough for us to make a go of things out there in beutiful Oz? Any advice about where a good place to settle would be. We'd love to be near a beach or lake to do some kayaking etc Thanks for all your time
Old Jan 1st 2007, 7:59 pm
Newbie!

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
If your MA is in social work, you will have no problems getting work as a social worker.
Yes, as I stated in my original reply - I have a an MA/DipSW so yes my Masters is in Social Work. I didn't think I'd have to upgrade, though being that I haven't worked for 6 years I might look into doing some sort of re-training.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 8:04 pm
Newbie!

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox
Sorry, also forgot to ask.
I have two young kids, 3 and 6. We really want to come to Australia to experience a coastal lifestyle but I wouldn't want to uproot them if I wasn't able to make a decent living from working as a social worker. My hubbie is a postman but probably wouldn't work till the youngest went to school. Is social work well established enough for us to make a go of things out there in beutiful Oz? Any advice about where a good place to settle would be. We'd love to be near a beach or lake to do some kayaking etc Thanks for all your time
I think if you want more choice in jobs you're best to be near a city. They're all coastal really so you'd be able to be near a beach. As far as I know Social Work is pretty established here.

I think the salaries are probably similar (more likely to be less than more) to UK sw salaries - I think going on that basis you'd be better avoiding Sydney where it's more expensive to live - I have a friend of a friend who is a probation worker in Sydney and has had to live quite a way out from the city to afford it.

Best I can say is do your research about jobs and see which area would offer you the best standard of living. Bear in mind too that the kids start school later here so your h might be at home for longer - my 3 year old (4 in April) is starting school Jan 08 but a lot of people I've met here have expressed surprise that I'm not deferring her for another year as she'll be one of the youngest.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 8:06 pm
ClairePagani

Thanks

How do you like Melbourne?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 3:15 am
Newbie!

Thanks

How do you like Melbourne?
We love it so far! We're quite far out in the Eastern suburbs so about 30 -40 min drive from the beach, but lots of lovely parkland nearby.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:47 pm
ClairePagani

Question Re: any social workers out there?

sounds great!!

To be honest, we're really stuck between Canada and Australia. We love the look of Oz, lifestyle, weather etc and would love to go there. However, we have quite a bit of family in Toronto and surrounds and having 2 young kids it would be handy for any emergencies. Also Canada being much closer to UK we would see family here a lot more than if we were in Australia. Maybe Canada first while the kids are young then Australia once they are more grown up and able to look after themselves??? Wish I had a crystal ball or maybe need to go see a fortune teller. Not sure whether Social Work system is better in Australia but I suspect the pay might be better there. AAAAAghhh. Don't know what to do!!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:48 pm
Newbie!

sounds great!!

To be honest, we're really stuck between Canada and Australia. We love the look of Oz, lifestyle, weather etc and would love to go there. However, we have quite a bit of family in Toronto and surrounds and having 2 young kids it would be handy for any emergencies. Also Canada being much closer to UK we would see family here a lot more than if we were in Australia. Maybe Canada first while the kids are young then Australia once they are more grown up and able to look after themselves??? Wish I had a crystal ball or maybe need to go see a fortune teller. Not sure whether Social Work system is better in Australia but I suspect the pay might be better there. AAAAAghhh. Don't know what to do!!

Well, for what it's worth we chose Melbourne because we had family here, I also have family in Perth as my mum's an Aussie (though lives in UK now). Same reasons as you said - our children are young and it's nice to have some family around for them.

Good luck with your decision!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:50 pm
ClairePagani

Wink Re: any social workers out there?

Thanks Spikey. Think I still need the fortune teller though. All the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.