Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Single Parents out there?

Any Single Parents out there?

Old Mar 19th 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice
Default Re: Any Single Parents out there?

Originally Posted by bethnphoebe
ooh wherabouts in melbourne. i am torn between perth and melbourne. is melbourne expensive
I'm living in Bayswater at the minute, near the dandenongs. i've never been to Perth so i can't compare the costs but yes Melbourne is expensive. People make the mistake of comparing the prices to those in UK but once you get off that plane your better forgetting the pounds and starting thinking dollars thats what you'll be earning.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 6:49 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by daunted
Don't worry i havent mistaken this site for a dating site :scared:
I am just wondering if there are any other single parents going through this out there? I am so determined to make it all work but not having anyone to share it with is difficult.
Im worried that i will have enough money to support us all - although i will scrub toilets with my bare hands if i need to to support my family. so many questions............................:scared:
You are not alone.
People think I am mad taking off from a perfectly 'normal life' here in UK to a country where I have never been - and in their eyes know nothing about! I admire anyone doing this alone - especially some of you guys with 2 kids!!! Its daunting enough with 1!
I am too so determined to make this work. People around me that I know, have that tell tale look on their face (like they forgot to withdraw their chin to 'closed') when I try and justify all their prying questions with a potentially positive answer.
Me and my 12 year old are heading off to Melbourne; I have secured a job as a nurse and think I may have found her a suitable school. She's 75% enthused about leaving - saying that when she knows its for real (visa stamped in passport), she will let rip and leap for joy! (ever the pessimist!)

Ive suggested this before but I really do think we should set up some sort of support group for single parents on this site (are you listening Mods?).

Anyone need any support or just a chat? PM me and Ill give you contact details (and the name of a good bottle of wine to ease this process!).

Diane.

Last edited by Dianej; Mar 19th 2007 at 6:54 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dianej
You are not alone.
People think I am mad taking off from a perfectly 'normal life' here in UK to a country where I have never been - and in their eyes know nothing about! I admire anyone doing this alone - especially some of you guys with 2 kids!!! Its daunting enough with 1!
I am too so determined to make this work. People around me that I know, have that tell tale look on their face (like they forgot to withdraw their chin to 'closed') when I try and justify all their prying questions with a potentially positive answer.
Me and my 12 year old are heading off to Melbourne; I have secured a job as a nurse and think I may have found her a suitable school. She's 75% enthused about leaving - saying that when she knows its for real (visa stamped in passport), she will let rip and leap for joy! (ever the pessimist!)

Ive suggested this before but I really do think we should set up some sort of support group for single parents on this site (are you listening Mods?).

Anyone need any support or just a chat? PM me and Ill give you contact details (and the name of a good bottle of wine to ease this process!).

Diane.

count me in - will PM you xx
Old Mar 19th 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

bethnphoebe is an unknown quantity at this point

what a good idea.
beth
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dianej
You are not alone.

Diane.
Hi Diane
Where have you got your job lined up? I'm nursing in Melbourne too which is completely different to UK.
You have to be determined to make it work, i was sick of the comments like "you can always come back if it doesn't work", going back was never an option for me and thankfully 3 years later it has worked.

Mandy
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

did you know anyone before you went out? i think that is scaring me more than anything, the isolation. I gope to work as a dn like here is that an option in oz.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:20 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mandyisere
Hi Diane
Where have you got your job lined up? I'm nursing in Melbourne too which is completely different to UK.
You have to be determined to make it work, i was sick of the comments like "you can always come back if it doesn't work", going back was never an option for me and thankfully 3 years later it has worked.

Mandy
Hi Mandy,

Ive got a job at The Alfred in Intensive Care - not ideal becuase of the travelling but it was the first job I went for and got. Planning on living Ringwood area but worried about the commute. Where abouts are you?

Diane
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:33 pm
Im here!!!!!!

did you know anyone before you went out? i think that is scaring me more than anything, the isolation. I gope to work as a dn like here is that an option in oz.
I will know hardly anyone much before I get there - thats half the fun! Youre bound to meet loads at work, neighbours, schools etc. I fancy joining a SCUBA Diving club - something Ive always wanted to do - but not in these murky old English waters!!

But Ill let you into a secret - between me and you single Mums - .................Im already registered on an Aussie dating site and am currently corresponding by e-mail and phone with a few Aussie hunks!!!! Got some barbies lined up already and I havent even landed yet!

Oooooooooooh Matron!

(http://singleswhoclick.com.au/)

I must cut out the red wine.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:40 pm
Australia since 09/2001

Location: Chichester > Wellington 04/00 > Melbourne 09/01 > Perth 12/06
natmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nice

ooh wherabouts in melbourne. i am torn between perth and melbourne. is melbourne expensive
I'm not sure if this is going to help or not but I spent over 5 years in Melbourne and found it a fairly unfriendly place. Some of my distant family who live here in Perth said they were actually quite depressed when various members lived there for a while. I have to say I've found Perth a great deal friendlier and as a single parent that has made all the difference. Melbourne is a much bigger city than Perth and even in 5 years I noticed how it was changing - much more of a ratrace when I left than when I arrived.

In terms of living costs I haven't found much difference between living in each city although as I was 18km out (from the CBD) in Melbourne and am only 6km out in Perth with a river view, perhaps Perth is cheaper - but it's marginal and the property market has gone nuts here in recent times. What I would say is that on a low budget I personally feel that Perth, with its superb climate and scenery (beach, river) offers a lifestyle that simply isn't available in Melbourne. Melbourne has plenty to do in terms of functions, concerts etc. - it's not the 2nd most liveable city in the world for nothing - but if you're content to avoid the 'big city lights' and all it has to offer and can settle for parkland, beach and great views all under a seemingly permanent blue sky then go for Perth (although it does get windy and wet in Winter but never rains for long...).

Not sure if I've helped or served to further the problem - good luck anyway. If you have any questions you feel I may be able to help with, fire away.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

i am going on A SKILLED independent as i thought it might give me more flexibility with locating a job around childcare etc but now i'm not so sure. i found the advice regarding perth being friendlier to single parents valuable. good luck with the hunks in trunks , i'll accept sloppy seconds when i get there. beth
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:10 pm
Im here!!!!!!

i am going on A SKILLED independent as i thought it might give me more flexibility with locating a job around childcare etc but now i'm not so sure. i found the advice regarding perth being friendlier to single parents valuable. good luck with the hunks in trunks , i'll accept sloppy seconds when i get there. beth
I always clean up after me so no worries about slop.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

iampixiedust is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Any Single Parents out there?

i am a single parent wanting to go to oz too but just started research not applied yet
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:41 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Don't worry i havent mistaken this site for a dating site :scared:
I am just wondering if there are any other single parents going through this out there? I am so determined to make it all work but not having anyone to share it with is difficult.
Im worried that i will have enough money to support us all - although i will scrub toilets with my bare hands if i need to to support my family. so many questions............................:scared:
I feel exactly the same honey. Did you have a good weekend? Didn't hear back from you so I take it you did?
Chat soon yeah? Maybe I can do the listening this time I may even have some advice! Doubt it though my brain is fried!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:01 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness and I not the only one. I don't know about anyone else but I am actually finding the whole thing rather exciting. I have moments when spurts of doubt enter my mind but that tends to be when my mother thinks of something negative or expresses her worry.

Personally, I am totally confident it will work out for my son and I. Ok, we are about to enter the nightmare domain of family court and encounter the joy of CAFCAS just so I can get bloody permission to leave, but I just know I can do it.

Failing simply doesn't enter my head at all. How about everyone else? I worry more about getting rid of all my 'stuff' than anything else and selling my house than finding a job and home in Oz.

I have worked out contingency plans for everything. Be that, schools, jobs, home etc. I am so excited at the thought of starting a fresh and the challenge of setting up home etc. Some days the excitement bubbles over at the thought of this challenge.

Am I being freaky?

This is what I love about this forum - you realise you are not the only one going out on a limb to improve your life and to boot - doing it alone.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Thank goodness and I not the only one. I don't know about anyone else but I am actually finding the whole thing rather exciting. I have moments when spurts of doubt enter my mind but that tends to be when my mother thinks of something negative or expresses her worry.

Personally, I am totally confident it will work out for my son and I. Ok, we are about to enter the nightmare domain of family court and encounter the joy of CAFCAS just so I can get bloody permission to leave, but I just know I can do it.

Failing simply doesn't enter my head at all. How about everyone else? I worry more about getting rid of all my 'stuff' than anything else and selling my house than finding a job and home in Oz.

I have worked out contingency plans for everything. Be that, schools, jobs, home etc. I am so excited at the thought of starting a fresh and the challenge of setting up home etc. Some days the excitement bubbles over at the thought of this challenge.

Am I being freaky?

This is what I love about this forum - you realise you are not the only one going out on a limb to improve your life and to boot - doing it alone.

you have just described how i am feelin perfectly
BRING IT ON!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.