Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Scottish teachers working in Oz?

Any Scottish teachers working in Oz?

Old May 10th 2005, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Default Any Scottish teachers working in Oz?

Are there any teachers out there?? How has the experience of moving to Oz been for you? Love to hear your feedback.
Old May 10th 2005, 10:20 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Scottish teachers working in Oz?

Originally Posted by AliMay
Are there any teachers out there?? How has the experience of moving to Oz been for you? Love to hear your feedback.
try this, hope it helps
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80
Old May 10th 2005, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Lookout for lindyloo, she's a teacher from scotland..computers me thinks!
Old May 11th 2005, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Any Scottish teachers working in Oz?

Originally Posted by soapy
Cheers - a useful link
Karma sent
Old May 11th 2005, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Cheers - a useful link
Karma sent
I'm a Scottish teacher (Glasgow Uni then Jordanhill) but haven't got round to registering here in Perth yet as the youngest Fitzlet is just 17 months. However, hubby is teaching here at Kinross. What do you want to know and I'll get him to answer.
Yvonne
Old May 11th 2005, 11:04 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers - a useful link
Karma sent
thanx for the karma. good luck
Old May 11th 2005, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Hi Ali

I have taught in 3 schools now. One term in South Australia and just into my second term in Queensland. It is night and day compared to Scotland. It is way better over here.

Discipline and the kids behaviour is much better, in my experience. It might be the sunshine having a positive effect, as opposed to the infamous "windy day factor".

It's a bit like starting out all over again. Almost as though you have just stepped out of teacher training college. I teach in high schools. They tend to think of you as a teacher, so you could be asked to teach anything, and I mean anything. If you can teach maths you will get a job instantly, but you will have other subjects to teach. So that can be a nightmare. They do expect you to be capable of teaching more than one subject wether you are qualified or not.

A new colleague informed me that he had an degree in English, but was really good at maths in school, so he now teaches maths in High school. Never studied it at University level, nor does he have any qualifications in it. He didn't think this was a problem!

Just getting to grips with the education babble and assessment has been the most difficult. The schools themselves have been really good.

Linda
Old May 12th 2005, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Any Scottish teachers working in Oz?

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
Hi Ali

I have taught in 3 schools now. One term in South Australia and just into my second term in Queensland. It is night and day compared to Scotland. It is way better over here.

Discipline and the kids behaviour is much better, in my experience. It might be the sunshine having a positive effect, as opposed to the infamous "windy day factor".

It's a bit like starting out all over again. Almost as though you have just stepped out of teacher training college. I teach in high schools. They tend to think of you as a teacher, so you could be asked to teach anything, and I mean anything. If you can teach maths you will get a job instantly, but you will have other subjects to teach. So that can be a nightmare. They do expect you to be capable of teaching more than one subject wether you are qualified or not.

A new colleague informed me that he had an degree in English, but was really good at maths in school, so he now teaches maths in High school. Never studied it at University level, nor does he have any qualifications in it. He didn't think this was a problem!

Just getting to grips with the education babble and assessment has been the most difficult. The schools themselves have been really good.

Linda
Great to hear positive things Lindyloo. Thanks. I am quite excited as today I heard there is the prospect of some relief work soon in a local high school. Gainful employment at last.

I teach science. I would hate to have to teach maths :scared: :scared: That would be a challenge- I bet its all changed since I was at school. They must give you some choice in the matter surely?? I couldn't face having to swot up calculus or algabra again. My physics is well dodgy.

I have been in a couple of schools here, basically having a nosey, and been amazed at some of the science that goes on. They still do experiments here that were banned for safety reasons in the UK. Some teachers were quite old fashioned in their approach- very chalk and talk. A school inspector would have ripped them apart- but apparently they don't have them here?

I loved one staffroom which had a glass fronted fridge stacked with beer! Needless to say staff morale in this school was great. The kids are so confident- I like that.

I've never been good with edu babble- bit worried about getting to grips with another load. Its quite exciting to be starting out again...

Good to hear your positive experiences -Ta Ali
Old May 12th 2005, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

I teach science. I would hate to have to teach maths :scared: :scared: That would be a challenge- I bet its all changed since I was at school. They must give you some choice in the matter surely?? I couldn't face having to swot up calculus or algabra again. My physics is well dodgy.
Sorry Ali,

I may be the bearer of bad tidings! All the science teachers I know get made to teach Maths...."it's kind of the same thing!". Was what I was told. Your a teacher therefore you teach :scared:
Old May 12th 2005, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Australian teacher working in Scotland here - sort of 'down under' of the thread title!

I teach Accounting and Finance, Business Management, Economics, Administration (formerly Secretarial Studies) and I.T. as well as tennis - and there is concern at teaching > 1 subject! I teach quite a few 'neds' a.k.a Bogans.

OzTennis
Old May 12th 2005, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
Sorry Ali,

I may be the bearer of bad tidings! All the science teachers I know get made to teach Maths...."it's kind of the same thing!". Was what I was told. Your a teacher therefore you teach :scared:
I'm kind of with Billy Connolly on algebra.. Do you know what I mean. I'm off to have a few large chardonnays.... How does it go again 1 b is b, 2 bs are.... OMG I can't even do it Billy Connolly style HELP!!!
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old May 12th 2005, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Australian teacher working in Scotland here - sort of 'down under' of the thread title!

I teach Accounting and Finance, Business Management, Economics, Administration (formerly Secretarial Studies) and I.T. as well as tennis - and there is concern at teaching > 1 subject! I teach quite a few 'neds' a.k.a Bogans.

OzTennis
Where in Bonnie Scotland are you??? I'd guess Glasgow?
ALi
Old May 12th 2005, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Bonnie Scotland are you??? I'd guess Glasgow?
ALi
Bonnie Galloway (Castle Douglas) actually. The 'ned' is not only a central belt phenomena! All jokes aside, most of the kids are pretty good most of the time and I have never had any major discipline issues (in either country come to that). My school was an annual fixture in the top 10 schools in Scotland's league tables for a long time but has since slipped slightly as the population profile of the area has changed.

Good school, good kids, lovely area, the job is enjoyable (and better paid than Oz but not quite as well as when the £ hit the heady heights of $3).

OzTennis
Old May 12th 2005, 8:30 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

And hows the Scottish accent coming along Oz T ???
Old May 13th 2005, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=OzTennis]Bonnie Galloway (Castle Douglas) actually. The 'ned' is not only a central belt phenomena!

re neds. It cracks me up that one of the posh areas in Perth is Nedlands.
Ali

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.