Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Scottish Social Workers out there?

Any Scottish Social Workers out there?

Old May 20th 2007, 3:27 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Any Scottish Social Workers out there?

I am looking for some more information on Social Work in Scotland (in particular graduate pathways to social work). I was looking into it last year and found some great sites, but the idea coolled and I did not save the sites, argh! I am wondering if anyone can give me some clues as to the qualification levels (ie: what are the Oz equiv?) and acronyms (particularly, SSSC, DipSW, CQSW, CCETSW). Some of them are obvious, but would be keen to hear any further info, and in general what the job prospects are?

I am a qualified secondary teacher but interested in transferring my skills to community development and youth work, however have noticed that in the area of Scotland where I'd like to return, they are continuously advertising for social workers. I have another year in Oz before I can feasibly return to Scotland so am looking into further study and given what I perceive (Please set me straight if I'm wrong!) to be a shortage, am thinking it would be smart to gain SW quals so I have more chance of a job!

Thank you! Please PM me if you like, not anticipating this thread to be exceedingly popular, so it may get a bit lost in this forum! Will exchange SW advice for info on: living in Queensland, teaching in Queensland, WA or NT, living in NT, visiting Qld or NT, teaching general UK - Oz, long haul flights whilst pregnant, flying with an infant/toddler, Oz carseats, Medicare, work permits in Oz, work permits UK, where not to stay in LA and any other sad trivia I have up my sleeve!
Old May 20th 2007, 5:21 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any Scottish Social Workers out there?

Originally Posted by matildaskye
I am looking for some more information on Social Work in Scotland (in particular graduate pathways to social work). I was looking into it last year and found some great sites, but the idea coolled and I did not save the sites, argh! I am wondering if anyone can give me some clues as to the qualification levels (ie: what are the Oz equiv?) and acronyms (particularly, SSSC, DipSW, CQSW, CCETSW). Some of them are obvious, but would be keen to hear any further info, and in general what the job prospects are?

I am a qualified secondary teacher but interested in transferring my skills to community development and youth work, however have noticed that in the area of Scotland where I'd like to return, they are continuously advertising for social workers. I have another year in Oz before I can feasibly return to Scotland so am looking into further study and given what I perceive (Please set me straight if I'm wrong!) to be a shortage, am thinking it would be smart to gain SW quals so I have more chance of a job!

Thank you! Please PM me if you like, not anticipating this thread to be exceedingly popular, so it may get a bit lost in this forum! Will exchange SW advice for info on: living in Queensland, teaching in Queensland, WA or NT, living in NT, visiting Qld or NT, teaching general UK - Oz, long haul flights whilst pregnant, flying with an infant/toddler, Oz carseats, Medicare, work permits in Oz, work permits UK, where not to stay in LA and any other sad trivia I have up my sleeve!
there is an extreme shortage of Social Workers in the uk, not just Scotland.

If you see the constant pressure they are under you will know why.

"Damned if you do, Damned if you dont"

You are very brave if you want to be a SW, my wife is a foster carer (and hopes to continue when we go to Perth), and she would not do the job for any amount of money.

Good Luck

t2t
Old May 20th 2007, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

amy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really nice

There is indeed a shortage of social workers! I am not a SW but I work for the social work department as a social care officer with the education and childrens services (basically with kids in care), my plan was to train fast-track to become a SW but changed my mind somewhat in the past year! Log onto www.sssc.uk.com (Scottish Social Services Council) and all the information you will need should be there, even give them a wee email. Depending on your qualifications already you may be eligible to train fast track to become a SW, which still means 12-18 months i think training and on the job placements. As for being a social care officer its opened my eyes to being a SW and might be worth trying out first, you work alongside SW's and do more of the hands on work while they are left with all the paper work basically. Think the SSSC will answer most of your questions but if you need any other info Ill do my best!
Best of luck!
Amy X
Old May 20th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to all

[If you see the constant pressure they are under you will know why.

"Damned if you do, Damned if you dont"

You are very brave if you want to be a SW, my wife is a foster carer (and hopes to continue when we go to Perth), and she would not do the job for any amount of money.

Good Luck

t2t[/QUOTE]

I Totaly agree, I worked for a while in Children and families Social Work in Fife Scotland and found it really hard. Not only because of staff shortages and hefty work loads. It left me feeling gutted at the end of every day seeing how some people (if you can call them) that treat there kids. The drug problem is huge and now its moved on to the second generation of drug users having kids,who are now having kids. Its a complete minefield of social problems, which only seem to be getting worse (hence the visa application). I take my hat off to anyone who can stick it and remain sain.

I'm sure you would have no problems getting fast tracked, they are desperate for SW's. I would call or email the social work departments I'm sure they would bite your hand off. If I remember rightly in Stirling they were giving SW's a £6k hand shake for starting with them !!

Good luck with what ever you decide to do, might be worth downloading some SW Reports etc to see for your self whats happening.

Take care
Old May 21st 2007, 6:16 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

That's great info folks, thanks. I have just returned to teaching after having a baby (now almost a little girl, *sob*, lol!) and I suppose this is a common time for women to rethink their careers. My priority is essentially to get back to Scotland and I need sponsorship to do this, so I'm having to keep that at the back of my mind. Although I want to change career direction, I don't want to jeopardise, or prolong, my return to the UK.

I am worried about all the depressing issues in SW, but the reason I am considering it is because I see many of them in teaching, yet my hands are tied as to what I can do. I am feeling a bit futile as a teacher and wanting something that is more hands-on to make changes. I also have a strong commitment to the area of Scotland where I lived when I was there, and am familiar with many of the social issues (ills!) and have a really strong desire to work in the community there (thinking youth work, community development)

I am fairly sure that I wouldn't be eligible for any of the fasttrack schemes as they won't stretch to cover international fees It looks like I would have to study in Oz first and then try to head back.

Such hard decisions! Oh how I wish I was just back there, helping, instead of being here feeling like I'm doing nothing!!