Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any RPL stories.....

Any RPL stories.....

Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any RPL stories.....

Well after a few months of endless rewrites I have finally completed and sent off my RPL application - and now I wait.

After meticulously going through and describing how I have 'learnt' my computer skills over the last 10 years, I am feeling pessimistic about what the result will be - even though my Physics degree had a high maths and computer content!

So has anyone had to apply more than once or given up?
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:26 pm
Badge

Default Re: Any RPL stories.....

I spent all winter on mine - (part time) and I got a positive result back. As long as you have diligently applied yourself to the core syllabus and showed "effort" and academic understanding, you should be OK.

I reckon they flick through and just get the gist of what you've said - read a chapter - see how detailed you are..see that you've basically made an effort to acquaint yourself with what would be on a degree syllabus, especially in the areas of which you are claiming professional knowledge. Match up your jobs from your CV to the RPL to show how you gained the academic knowledge from your "on the job" training.

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Sep 29th 2003 at 1:01 pm.

Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks that is encouraging. Frankly I cannot imagine anything more boring than reading my RPL application - so much repetition - Ended up being 20 sides of A4 (which is not as much as some people have said they submitted!) + the 2 project reports. I guess it is a strange process to go through - so open ended and wierd having to persuade someone you know what you know!!!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:59 pm
Badge

you're bang on the money. They even say what they're NOT looking for - a endless list of "look what I've done and for whom" - they make it clear at the end of the day; RPL is basically a substitution for a first IT degree.

And yes, most RPLs are boring to read. Mine was 50 pages!! But you know what? It turned out to be a great synopsis of IT as a discipline and I learnt a few things about my profession along the way!! I've even got it on my CV as part of the professional development thing.

badge

Old Sep 29th 2003, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Arghhh 50 pages! I think mine maybe too short!

I agree with what you said about learning about your profession, I never though that when i started the RPL application that I would be able to cover so many of the different CBOK subjects.

I think in the end I should have spent more time on it but I could not extend my deadline date.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Arghhh 50 pages! I think mine maybe too short!

I agree with what you said about learning about your profession, I never though that when i started the RPL application that I would be able to cover so many of the different CBOK subjects.

I think in the end I should have spent more time on it but I could not extend my deadline date.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 8:38 pm
earlswood

Scamp,

My hubbies RPL was 60 pages and about 1 inch worth of supplementary paperwork like project plans etc.

It took him about 3 weeks solid to do it.

I'm sure you will have heard that it is quality not quantity that they are looking for (oooooerrgghh)

Regards

Earlswood