Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any regrets anyone?

Any regrets anyone?

Old Oct 16th 2002, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough
Default Any regrets anyone?

For anyone who has had doubts - but has made the move, 'for a better way of life', ever regretted it?
We've heard the stories of folk who have been and love it but not of those who have arrived & hate it.

SAM xxx (new sign off name)
(Shona And Michael)
Old Oct 16th 2002, 10:31 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets anyone?

Originally posted by micky:
We've heard the stories of folk who have been and love it but not of those who have arrived & hate it.

so you have not been reading Pommiebastards posts then?
Old Oct 16th 2002, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by walaj:

so you have not been reading Pommiebastards posts then?
I meant others for by him & dotty & others that have contributed.
So....yes I have read his posts thanks very much for your contribution .....
r u already there yourself then???
So ye don't know what yer talkin aboot then, eh??
Old Oct 16th 2002, 11:03 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

For anyone who has had doubts - but has made the move, 'for a better way of life', ever regretted it?

(Shona And Michael)
Lots of people here dont want to hear anything negative so you wont be popular for starting this one!
We only ever came to Oz for 2 years on a work transfer and have not regretted it. Its been fantastic. We never expected to stay longer than the 2 years and were surprised when my company offered to sponsor us to stay. Its been a tough decision but on balance we have decided to return to England. So, no regrets at all after 2 years here.
My step sister and husband emigrated to the Gold Coast 5 years ago or so and after 2 years they still loved it. After 3 years they began to get the odd twinge of regret and now after 5 years they are totally fed up with the GC and plan to return to England. Materially they have an awesome life compared to the UK but they say life on the GC is too insular for them and they find it a dull and lonely existence compared to England. Even after 5 years there they do not have what you might call 'deep' friendships and they have come to conclusion that they never will there. Their 'best' Australian friends recently abandoned them in a time of crisis, which obviously has left a bitter taste in their mouths. My step sister claims people on the GC only understand a rather shallow 'mateship' and not what really deep friendship means. I think the key in Australia is to participate in team sports - I dont play soccer, rugby or cricket and so dont participate all the macho male bonding with the 'boys' in our office, which means I have a big barrier to get over with most of the guys I work with. I'm afraid gentler hobbies such as photography, cooking, wine tasting and reading wont get you far out here! When an Aussie bloke asks you what you did at the weekend he is likely to walk away mid sentence when you say, "oh we had a quiet one, a stroll around the park, reading on our balcony and then a glass of red and a home cooked meal on Saturday evening....." Anyway, my step sister and husband are prepared to take the material downgrade to live back in Britain.
So no regrets at all from us, but for my step sister and her husband they tell me they regret not returning sooner (before house prices got so scary in England). I think they plan to try to ride out the current high UK house price/weak Australian dollar scenario and hop on a plane the minute this reverses (could be a long wait!).
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:56 am
sydneyrose

Originally posted by Herman:

Lots of people here dont want to hear anything negative so you wont be popular for starting this one!
We only ever came to Oz for 2 years on a work transfer and have not regretted it. Its been fantastic. We never expected to stay longer than the 2 years and were surprised when my company offered to sponsor us to stay. Its been a tough decision but on balance we have decided to return to England. So, no regrets at all after 2 years here.
My step sister and husband emigrated to the Gold Coast 5 years ago or so and after 2 years they still loved it. After 3 years they began to get the odd twinge of regret and now after 5 years they are totally fed up with the GC and plan to return to England. Materially they have an awesome life compared to the UK but they say life on the GC is too insular for them and they find it a dull and lonely existence compared to England. Even after 5 years there they do not have what you might call 'deep' friendships and they have come to conclusion that they never will there. Their 'best' Australian friends recently abandoned them in a time of crisis, which obviously has left a bitter taste in their mouths. My step sister claims people on the GC only understand a rather shallow 'mateship' and not what really deep friendship means. I think the key in Australia is to participate in team sports - I dont play soccer, rugby or cricket and so dont participate all the macho male bonding with the 'boys' in our office, which means I have a big barrier to get over with most of the guys I work with. I'm afraid gentler hobbies such as photography, cooking, wine tasting and reading wont get you far out here! When an Aussie bloke asks you what you did at the weekend he is likely to walk away mid sentence when you say, "oh we had a quiet one, a stroll around the park, reading on our balcony and then a glass of red and a home cooked meal on Saturday evening....." Anyway, my step sister and husband are prepared to take the material downgrade to live back in Britain.
So no regrets at all from us, but for my step sister and her husband they tell me they regret not returning sooner (before house prices got so scary in England). I think they plan to try to ride out the current high UK house price/weak Australian dollar scenario and hop on a plane the minute this reverses (could be a long wait!).
Mostly what i remember was the light, the english winter light. Ecliptic. A demi light. And a sepia lanscape, not grey, sepia. Sepia trees, buildings. the land itself. Except for the buses. They were red. And the land had no smell. The winter had frozen its smell.
And the people were pale, very pale and their noses dripped. The people were disconnected from each other, each in their own space until they went inside, and then there was laughter and talk. An outside behaviour and an inside behaviour. The children were very controlled, don't do this, hold my hand, don't speak so loudly.
There was history everywhere, miles of it. It seems best to think in imperial. You had to follow the Shoppes, lots and lots of Shoppes. High Streets and Shoppes. A belligerent history, castles, keeps, battlefields. It was very crowded. So I sat in the Shoppes and ate cream buns and thought first of my ancestors who had lived here, in the sepia land, with no smell and the demi light. Their noses would have dripped. Then I thought about space, historical space, the absence of space, the cost of space.
So, returning to oz was first about light, that brilliant life giving light, that drags you from bed in the morning, and plays hide and seek all day. Chases you under the awnings, catches you unawares. The fragrance of oz, a bush fragrance, of bark and leaves and flowers. The warmth of the land that comes through the soles of your shoes and curls around your toes. The sea, to float on your back in the sea with its salty breath on your face. And around you is space, the space of the land and the sea and the light.
And the people whose bonds are so strong they would enter a Bali bombsite to care for each other and keep each other alive.

Old Oct 17th 2002, 2:00 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

(Shona And Michael)

I get the feeling that I have been misquoted , there are things out here that leave UK standing, the public golf courses are top class , housing is fine weather is good most of the time, most jobs very poor and wages dont start me off.
We have never hated it here found it dull yes, felt limited yes ,missed UK sorry but we do, never liked living in a backyard BBQ or not.
The kind of life we had in UK was much more varied than here, traveling anywhere outside of Perth is mind blowingly dull , the inward looking locals have little or no conversation.
I know loads who try to encourge their familys back UK to move to Australia with bull stories , because they miss them and want them to be around.
But all said a lot who came here had a crap life in UK we did not , wish that we did then it would feel like the land of plenty.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 17th 2002 at 7:55 am.
Old Oct 17th 2002, 3:20 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sydneyrose:

Mostly what i remember was the light, the english winter light. Ecliptic. A demi light. And a sepia lanscape, not grey, sepia. Sepia trees, buildings. the land itself. Except for the buses. They were red. And the land had no smell. The winter had frozen its smell.
And the people were pale, very pale and their noses dripped. The people were disconnected from each other, each in their own space until they went inside, and then there was laughter and talk. An outside behaviour and an inside behaviour. The children were very controlled, don't do this, hold my hand, don't speak so loudly.
There was history everywhere, miles of it. It seems best to think in imperial. You had to follow the Shoppes, lots and lots of Shoppes. High Streets and Shoppes. A belligerent history, castles, keeps, battlefields. It was very crowded. So I sat in the Shoppes and ate cream buns and thought first of my ancestors who had lived here, in the sepia land, with no smell and the demi light. Their noses would have dripped. Then I thought about space, historical space, the absence of space, the cost of space.
So, returning to oz was first about light, that brilliant life giving light, that drags you from bed in the morning, and plays hide and seek all day. Chases you under the awnings, catches you unawares. The fragrance of oz, a bush fragrance, of bark and leaves and flowers. The warmth of the land that comes through the soles of your shoes and curls around your toes. The sea, to float on your back in the sea with its salty breath on your face. And around you is space, the space of the land and the sea and the light.
And the people whose bonds are so strong they would enter a Bali bombsite to care for each other and keep each other alive.
I like this, its very romantic. Amazing how some people see, feel and smell the world compared to others!
Old Oct 17th 2002, 5:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

(Shona And Michael)

I moved here with the job. I accepted that the wages would be lower. I was on an expat package in Asia. But, my reasons for coming here were I wanted to settle in a Western country, get back to normality.. So instead of going back to the UK, I decided to try Australia, as I heard about how wonderful this place is from my Australian expats friends in Asia.

After arriving here (I was in Newcastle at the time /NSW), which indecently was in winter. I thought "hey where's the heat?" I was freezing, I was told by Australians in Asia that Australia was warm. Anyway, not to worry it was only winter.

We then decided to look for a house to rent (was staying in a motel when we first arrived). We were told how cheap Australian houses, and rentals were again by Australian expats. So what a shock to realise that most of these houses were made out of Fibro (wood)! "where's the brick?". Of course there is brick but where I was staying at this time, like some areas in Australia there is a high number of wood houses.
Ok , wood will have to do.... arhg , cold in winter, hot in summer, no insulation.

Next comes the wage packet ... "oh my gawd!!" ... where's my money gone? what does John Howard do with it all? (Actually this I was warned about by my Australian expat friends before coming here... who were now fast becoming my ex friends!)

Time for a drink up the pub to calm my nerves... what you say you rang last orders at 9.30 pm? why? "not much custom tonight so I'm shutting up shop". "Haven't you got set trading hours.".. what's those?

Back to the house to watch a bit of TV, where's the news? "oh this is it, I thought this was a sports show"

Sitting in a cafe eating my breakfast one morning I hear sirens all over the place, look across the road, and it was a hold up of the westpac bank. "I thought there was low crime here" . Go to a concert, I see needles on the floor. The newspapers have been reporting on needles on the beaches, a young child gets stabbed by one in her foot, the latest victim.
I see police with guns strapped to their hip... even on road traffic duty. "police shoots man dead who was holding a knife" ... oh well it's only the third one this year.

I take a drive, "my gawd, don't these people drive on the left? get over you old fogey... oops sorry it's a youngster"

Right then where's the beaches, the big open beaches where you do not see another person? "wrong beach, this one is packed" "and this one"... "oh you say they are near Perth, well why did you try and make out the whole of Australia is like this?"

Beaches in Brisbane... oh no where? Oh their in the sunshine coast and Gold coast. what about the river?, ah very nice, a sewage outlet at the end, a paper mill on the banks among the other factories, brown as hell. Of coarse there's Redcliffe where I am now... but I'd hardly call them beaches ... inlets.Or manly, that's if the council and Royal yacht club haven't blocked yet more public access to the water. I still haven't seen any beaches which match the beauty of Gower in Australia... Noosa comes the closest.

Food shopping:
Vine ripened tomatoes 8.99 kilo (was 6.99 a couple of weeks ago... the drought has made prices go up) ...... ring my mum in Britain, "hey mum what's this cost in Asda? "99 pence a kilo"

Cucumber $3.49

Cheap loaf of bread 2.87 .... Asda around 40 pence.
my gawd!!!

I try to watch the Olympics... "should see loads being in Australia" .. "hey where's the mens relay???"... what's this a hockey match, Australia playing someone. My gawd aren't they showing the relay, one of the more popular events.... oh it's delayed, we won't see it live because the Australians didn't qualify for the final, so the TV station decides to show Hockey
Why did they just cut off the medal ceremony/national anthems... oh I see Australia got a bronze, show that, then cut! don't get to see the other athletes getting their medals.

"Aren't we the best ever?" "isn't Australia great" "how do you like Australia" ... you'll get fed up of hearing this after a couple of days landing here.

If you want open spaces, don't bother with Brisbane, I do not know what Perth is like, Newcastle I do (NSW) .. and I found ithe surrounding areas better than Brisbane for beaches, and much friendlier people.Brisbane... I dislike. Newcastle in my opinion was nicer.

could go on
cheers.... I'm ducking now! ... flying insults
Old Oct 17th 2002, 5:26 am
deteo

Were you in Singapore before you came to Australia?
If you were, how would you compare Singapore to Australia? Lifestyle, living cost, wage, etc?

Would you consider to go back to Singapore given a chance?

Originally posted by Ceri:

I moved here with the job. I accepted that the wages would be lower. I was on an expat package in Asia. But, my reasons for coming here were I wanted to settle in a Western country, get back to normality.. So instead of going back to the UK, I decided to try Australia, as I heard about how wonderful this place is from my Australian expats friends in Asia.

After arriving here (I was in Newcastle at the time /NSW), which indecently was in winter. I thought "hey where's the heat?" I was freezing, I was told by Australians in Asia that Australia was warm. Anyway, not to worry it was only winter.

We then decided to look for a house to rent (was staying in a motel when we first arrived). We were told how cheap Australian houses, and rentals were again by Australian expats. So what a shock to realise that most of these houses were made out of Fibro (wood)! "where's the brick?". Of course there is brick but where I was staying at this time, like some areas in Australia there is a high number of wood houses.
Ok , wood will have to do.... arhg , cold in winter, hot in summer, no insulation.

Next comes the wage packet ... "oh my gawd!!" ... where's my money gone? what does John Howard do with it all? (Actually this I was warned about by my Australian expat friends before coming here... who were now fast becoming my ex friends!)

Time for a drink up the pub to calm my nerves... what you say you rang last orders at 9.30 pm? why? "not much custom tonight so I'm shutting up shop". "Haven't you got set trading hours.".. what's those?

Back to the house to watch a bit of TV, where's the news? "oh this is it, I thought this was a sports show"

Sitting in a cafe eating my breakfast one morning I hear sirens all over the place, look across the road, and it was a hold up of the westpac bank. "I thought there was low crime here" . Go to a concert, I see needles on the floor. The newspapers have been reporting on needles on the beaches, a young child gets stabbed by one in her foot, the latest victim.
I see police with guns strapped to their hip... even on road traffic duty. "police shoots man dead who was holding a knife" ... oh well it's only the third one this year.

I take a drive, "my gawd, don't these people drive on the left? get over you old fogey... oops sorry it's a youngster"

Right then where's the beaches, the big open beaches where you do not see another person? "wrong beach, this one is packed" "and this one"... "oh you say they are near Perth, well why did you try and make out the whole of Australia is like this?"

Beaches in Brisbane... oh no where? Oh their in the sunshine coast and Gold coast. what about the river?, ah very nice, a sewage outlet at the end, a paper mill on the banks among the other factories, brown as hell. Of coarse there's Redcliffe where I am now... but I'd hardly call them beaches ... inlets.Or manly, that's if the council and Royal yacht club haven't blocked yet more public access to the water. I still haven't seen any beaches which match the beauty of Gower in Australia... Noosa comes the closest.

Food shopping:
Vine ripened tomatoes 8.99 kilo (was 6.99 a couple of weeks ago... the drought has made prices go up) ...... ring my mum in Britain, "hey mum what's this cost in Asda? "99 pence a kilo"

Cucumber $3.49

Cheap loaf of bread 2.87 .... Asda around 40 pence.
my gawd!!!

I try to watch the Olympics... "should see loads being in Australia" .. "hey where's the mens relay???"... what's this a hockey match, Australia playing someone. My gawd aren't they showing the relay, one of the more popular events.... oh it's delayed, we won't see it live because the Australians didn't qualify for the final, so the TV station decides to show Hockey
Why did they just cut off the medal ceremony/national anthems... oh I see Australia got a bronze, show that, then cut! don't get to see the other athletes getting their medals.

"Aren't we the best ever?" "isn't Australia great" "how do you like Australia" ... you'll get fed up of hearing this after a couple of days landing here.

If you want open spaces, don't bother with Brisbane, I do not know what Perth is like, Newcastle I do (NSW) .. and I found ithe surrounding areas better than Brisbane for beaches, and much friendlier people.Brisbane... I dislike. Newcastle in my opinion was nicer.

could go on
cheers.... I'm ducking now! ... flying insults

Old Oct 17th 2002, 5:59 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by deteo:
Were you in Singapore before you came to Australia?
If you were, how would you compare Singapore to Australia? Lifestyle, living cost, wage, etc?

Would you consider to go back to Singapore given a chance?

yes and no. I was on an expat wage in Singapore (house paid for etc) so that can't really be compared.
cost of food was cheaper, going out was cheaper if you ate and drank at Hawker centres, but housing no ... one million for a semi detatched, cars are expensive too (but like I said this was in my package.. paid for)
Singapore is packed, but I enjoyed the basically 24 hr lifestyle. I also enjoyed the travelling, nipping into Malaysia for the weekends, travelling to Thailand... just the diversity of it all, the people, everything
But I must admit I was totally p*d off with Singapore after 5 years, the politics get to you.

I don't know if I'd ever go back, I suppose in a way I'd say yes, but only for a short term, there are a few things which I miss there.
cheers
Old Oct 17th 2002, 6:31 am
sydneyrose

Originally posted by Ceri:

yes and no. I was on an expat wage in Singapore (house paid for etc) so that can't really be compared.
cost of food was cheaper, going out was cheaper if you ate and drank at Hawker centres, but housing no ... one million for a semi detatched, cars are expensive too (but like I said this was in my package.. paid for)
Singapore is packed, but I enjoyed the basically 24 hr lifestyle. I also enjoyed the travelling, nipping into Malaysia for the weekends, travelling to Thailand... just the diversity of it all, the people, everything
But I must admit I was totally p*d off with Singapore after 5 years, the politics get to you.

I don't know if I'd ever go back, I suppose in a way I'd say yes, but only for a short term, there are a few things which I miss there.
cheers
The redback Latrodectus hasselti
No fatalaties since 1956. Antivenom available.
I knew the redback would not kill me. I wasn't too sure, though about the cream buns in the Shoppe.
I hope you find where you belong.

Old Oct 17th 2002, 6:52 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sydneyrose:

Bravo very good , I do find it interesting you went in Winter , no one tell you the old saying ,Oh to be in England now Spring is here?
Not them red London buses , living in UK for 35years we never managed to cover more than half of it still loads of places yet to see , the space here is just that space , most of it looks bland.To quote Kevin Bloody Wilson ( a living Aussie legend) come to Australia to see nothing, and boy is there loads of it.
I must be in the wrong Australia its pissing it down and blowing a gale bloody black too not much light could you write something for me?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 17th 2002 at 7:43 am.
Old Oct 17th 2002, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

(Shona And Michael)
Hi there Shona, oops SAM,

Thanks for starting what might be a contraversial post. Having never been out I have went on what my hubby and friends have told me but their stays were when they were single and without kids so maybe slightly distorted. I too am very aprehensive but it is a dream that my hubby has had for a very long time and I have had too, just not as long! We will also go and validate and we will move to see how it all goes. I have my mum (and other family) that I will miss terribly and she us but as she says you have to go and try otherwise I'll regret it. Our kids are a lot younger than yours so it's a lot easier taking them so there I don't envy you.

Anyway I hope there is some decent feedback cause this is something that worries me too.

Many thanks

Ginny.
Old Oct 17th 2002, 8:11 am
sydneyrose

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

Bravo very good , I do find it interesting you went in Winter , no one tell you the old saying ,Oh to be in England now Spring is here?
Not them red London buses , living in UK for 35years we never managed to cover more than half of it still loads of places yet to see , the space here is just that space , most of it looks bland.To quote Kevin Bloody Wilson ( a living Aussie legend) come to Australia to see nothing, and boy is there loads of it.
I must be in the wrong Australia its pissing it down and blowing a gale bloody black too not much light could you write something for me?
PB, I note your parentage is in question
Is that what you came to search for in oz?
Was daddy an australian?

Old Oct 17th 2002, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks SydneyRose

That was beautiful.

Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.