Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving to Queensland

Any regrets about moving to Queensland

Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

fuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to allfuzziferret is a name known to all
Default Any regrets about moving to Queensland

Hi,

Having got our visa we are intending to move to the brisbane bayside area around Feb/March, our friends who are already out there have made us a bit jittery as they seem really unhappy, they've been there for 14 months now and seem really homesick. They say that they are finding so many things irritating about where they live. I think we're just trying to get a balanced view of things and thought we'd post on here for some other opinions. All comments positive or negative greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fuzziferret

Last edited by fuzziferret; Aug 25th 2006 at 6:10 pm. Reason: unbalanced post
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:03 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets about moving to Queensland

Originally Posted by fuzziferret
Hi,

Having got our visa we are intending to move to the bayside area around Feb/March, our friends who are already out there have made us a bit jittery as they seem really unhappy, they've been there for 14 months now and seem really homesick and say they find the Queenslanders a little, well, backwards and unfriendly. Has anyone else found this at all? The friends were 100% about moving over there and seemed to be fine until family visited in April and since then, they have been really unhappy and say it's difficult to mix and make friends with the Aussies. They love the country but not the people.
I think we're just trying to get a balanced view of things and thought we'd post on here for some other opinions. All comments positive or negative greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fuzziferret
o i`m sure you`ll get plenty of replies
your statement
"Queenslanders a little, well, backwards and unfriendly."
will provide them
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:45 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Hi,

Having got our visa we are intending to move to the brisbane bayside area around Feb/March, our friends who are already out there have made us a bit jittery as they seem really unhappy, they've been there for 14 months now and seem really homesick. They say that they are finding so many things irritating about where they live. I think we're just trying to get a balanced view of things and thought we'd post on here for some other opinions. All comments positive or negative greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fuzziferret
Casting opinions on where you live is purely a personal view based on your own experiences and preferences. Like your friends, we live on the bayside and believe that this is the best decision that we have ever made. We are in Redland Bay, away from the traffic and noise, and yet everything is on our doorstep. We are 3 minutes from the water, with great views and a lovely sea breeze in the summer, and 6 minutes from a large shopping centre. Within a 10 minute drive we have cinemas, coffee bars, cafes, restaurants, gymnasium, tennis courts, golf course, skate parks, bike tracks, excellent fishing. The list goes on and on. All the family are taken care of with the facilities, and not worrying about vandalism, theft or violence.
Not sure if your friends are finding things irritating or just different. We found this out, but you have to realise that you will never change things, so you have to run at their pace.
Hope that this helps.

Neil
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Originally Posted by neil.b
Casting opinions on where you live is purely a personal view based on your own experiences and preferences. Like your friends, we live on the bayside and believe that this is the best decision that we have ever made. We are in Redland Bay, away from the traffic and noise, and yet everything is on our doorstep. We are 3 minutes from the water, with great views and a lovely sea breeze in the summer, and 6 minutes from a large shopping centre. Within a 10 minute drive we have cinemas, coffee bars, cafes, restaurants, gymnasium, tennis courts, golf course, skate parks, bike tracks, excellent fishing. The list goes on and on. All the family are taken care of with the facilities, and not worrying about vandalism, theft or violence.
Not sure if your friends are finding things irritating or just different. We found this out, but you have to realise that you will never change things, so you have to run at their pace.
Hope that this helps.

Neil

Hi Neil

Me, haydn, adam(14) and Jenna (12) are coming out on 14 October and are thinking of Wellington Point. I think this is quite near to you. Is this a good area in your opinion and do you know what the High School is like.

Thanx
Heather
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:39 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
Fuzziferret
Just that we didn't do it sooner... .
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:42 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smiths
Hi Neil

Me, haydn, adam(14) and Jenna (12) are coming out on 14 October and are thinking of Wellington Point. I think this is quite near to you. Is this a good area in your opinion and do you know what the High School is like.

Thanx
Heather

Hi Heather

14th October...weather just starting to warm up nicely,my 2 cents worth on Wello point....you wont be dissapointed!!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annqldau
Just that we didn't do it sooner... .
Exactly what i was going to say.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I would necessarily take one set of friends word for it We went for a drive around that area and were a tad confused by it to be honest. Family visits do cause major upsets from what people have said, it's the same as saying goodbye the first time but then you still have the excitement of what you're going to do, when visitors go, you look around and suddenly feel a bit lost and empty but you only have normal life to go back to, not forward to an adventure.

Good luck
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty.....................but most of them are down to personal stuff, and really thats the only way you can decide. Just because its not right for your friends doesn't mean it qon't suit you. And they may be happier somewhere else in Aus - even somewhere else around Brisbane. Have a read of posts about living on the north side - very different area from bayside and might suit them better.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 2:47 am
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Hi Neil

Thanx
Heather
Weeli point is quite near us and a beautiful spot. Not sure what the high school is like as our kids go to viccy point high. Personal opinion - not for us as there is really only 1 road in/out and in summer gets very busy by the water. But thats not what we were after, as I said before, everyone looks for different things. Do a reccy there when you arrive, travel the whole of the bayside as it differs so much. Drop me a line if you want to know anymore.
Neil
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

nfernand is an unknown quantity at this point

I just returned from Brisbane. In fact this was my second trip. I love Brisbane but unfortunately my job is based in Sydney. 16months since being in Aus. No regrets.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:28 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
Fuzziferret
We've lived in the Bayside over two years now and love it. It's near enough to the city, Gold coast, Sunshine coast, Tambourine mountains,Stradbroke Island, etc, etc...

There are a few areas around the Bayside and they are in pockets. Some old, some new, some quiet and some busy so it depends on what you want.

Moving to an area is like buying a car, we all have different tastes and what's right for one, is wrong for another. There is something for everyone and if you don't see what you like, then you can always move on towards either coast.

They key is to find temporary accommodation and have a look around as you wont know until you do. Generally speaking, people know when they've found *home* as it just feels right .

The only regrets we have is that we didn't move here years ago

Whatever you decide, good luck and don't worry. No one is going to force you to live anywhere you don't want to. You can always move on
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Any regrets about moving to Queensland

Hi,

Thanks
Fuzziferret
Hi
We moved to Cleveland at the end of April this year with our 3 kids (10, 8 & 3) and absolutely love it.
As Neil B said most things are within a 5-10 minute drive but you are still living in a beautiful place!
My wife has made a good circle of friends in the short time we have been here and the kids are having a great time.
I guess it depends on where you live in the UK and what your expectations are once you get here. Obviously not every area is suitable for everyone but try and come out here with an open mind and make your own decisions.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
Good luck

MichaelB
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

been in brizzy 3 yrs i regret not being here longer.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

wastonyy is on a distinguished road

Hi Neil

Thanx
Heather
Hi,me,sheryl,and 3 daughters 13,11.17 have lived in sydney for the last 10 month until recently i was offerd new location to queensland, so last week we drove down for the week to check the areas around the gold course, we looked at redland bay welligton point they were very nice places but not sure if i would have setted there then we saw a place call pacific pines and we loved it its about 10 mins drive to the gold course it is very family orientated.there is shops tavern,schools lovley lake very nice estate and i belive there are a few expats living there,and also you have 3 theme parks on your door step,so what more could you ask for.anyway its another area for you to look at hope this helps,we are moving there first week in october just checkin internet for rental properties there. regards tony, sheryl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.