Wikiposts

Any regrets??

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by etlniwd
If you want the truth about relative crime levels then get the respective government statistics and compare for yourself. A lot of information is available on the internet but it takes a long time to track down. There is a hell of a lot of info on www.oecd.org for example.

When listening to some of the extreme views on this forum then take them all with a pinch of salt. There are particular individuals posting here who are hell bent on portaying Australia in a bad light. One of the easiest ways of doing this is to copy and paste a news item about a horrendous crime. Their intention is that potential immigrants will think that these crimes are an everyday occurence and will be put off coming to Australia.

It appears that the main motive for doing this is spite. Most of these people have tried to make a life for themselves in Australia and have failed for one reason or another (many appear to be bitter, unstable people who would fail anywhwere). They cannot bear the thought that others may succeed where they failed.
I posted this on a previous thread, by may be worth repeating here. According to the sources below, the chances of being a victim of crime are:-

England & Wales – 27%
Australia – 11%

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/
http://www.abs.gov.au/

There are some assumptions you have to make though, one of which is that the rate of unreported crime is the same in both countries.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul and Ali,

We're moving to Melbourne but I'm from Sydney originally. We have one 3 year old son. We've met two financial controllers/accountants who are moving to Melbourne so that might suit you. One of them, terryg, has many posts on this site so you might want to look at some of them.

Big companies all tend to be based in Sydney or Melbourne as they're the biggest cities (c3.5 million pop each). Melbourne is traditionally known as the financial capital of Australia although about half of businesses have their base in Sydney instead now. So most of the financial/head office type jobs in Oz are in those two cities. Brisbane's pop is about 1.5 million, then comes Adelaide and Perth.

Sydney property is way too expensive (London prices even!) and the commuting there is hell so Melbourne it is for us. There's also the feeling that Melbourne is perhaps a little more 'civilised' than Sydney. Melbourne used to be the city with more theatre and so on but Sydney has caught up now. It's certainly the most English of the Australian cities and property is at least 40% cheaper than Sydney.

If you look on any of the australian job websites - try www.google.com.au as a search engine - you'll see how the proportion of jobs in your industry is distributed around the country.

Best wishes and just ask if you need any more advice,

Jo
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Paul & Ali is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jolyn
Hi Paul and Ali,

We're moving to Melbourne but I'm from Sydney originally. We have one 3 year old son. We've met two financial controllers/accountants who are moving to Melbourne so that might suit you. One of them, terryg, has many posts on this site so you might want to look at some of them.

Big companies all tend to be based in Sydney or Melbourne as they're the biggest cities (c3.5 million pop each). Melbourne is traditionally known as the financial capital of Australia although about half of businesses have their base in Sydney instead now. So most of the financial/head office type jobs in Oz are in those two cities. Brisbane's pop is about 1.5 million, then comes Adelaide and Perth.

Sydney property is way too expensive (London prices even!) and the commuting there is hell so Melbourne it is for us. There's also the feeling that Melbourne is perhaps a little more 'civilised' than Sydney. Melbourne used to be the city with more theatre and so on but Sydney has caught up now. It's certainly the most English of the Australian cities and property is at least 40% cheaper than Sydney.

If you look on any of the australian job websites - try www.google.com.au as a search engine - you'll see how the proportion of jobs in your industry is distributed around the country.

Best wishes and just ask if you need any more advice,

Jo
Hi Jo,

Thanks for that - an honest "human" opinion is sometimes so much better than government statistics. What is the country like for kids, I understand it is great. Also for approx £180 - £250k are there reasonable properties in Melbourne?
Thanks for the human intervention of a true Aus lifestyle.

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:43 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by etlniwd
Absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

I've just got back from my first return trip to Europe since moving to Oz 7 months ago. I could have kissed the tarmac at Brisbane airport when I landed. It was so good to be home again.

I've been stuck at Heathrow for two days after being well and trully rogered by British Airways. Heathrow has to be the shabbiest third world airport in the world and BA should be shut down after the mess they have caused.

I've had a week driving around congested roads in Britain and France. Give me Brisbane's wide, relatively traffic-free streets anyday.
The guy in charge at BA now is an Aussie , does that sink in why they are having problems , the same prat sunk Ansett or set the seeds remember that little bugger up last year here?
Heathrow is the most used airport in the world and you are just a failed refugee who is stuck in QLD , Australias red neck country .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 23rd 2003 at 12:04 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:58 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
red neck country.

More a light salmon with a hint of peach...
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again Paul and Ali - I'll send you a private message so check your message box.

Jo